Experienced @ Growing, but need a little help with breeding pls...

• Thread starter SOGreenThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SOGreenThumb

Ive been growing for some years now and have gotten bored with clones and decided to listen to an older wiser family member of mine that says i need to be breeding like him. "If you kill the seed, you kill the collie weed" thats his saying. Anyhow, I just recently did some pollen chucking i guess you could say and have been starting the seeds that ive gotten. I recently got the book Marijuana botany and have been reading it but am increasingly getting more and more confused the more i read into it. I know breeding is not as simple as 1 + 1 = 2. That being said im just looking for a little advice or a point in the right direction. Things I should be looking for or any type of advice or information that you could pass along to help out a fellow grower/wannabe breeder. If you need to know the genetics i can share that as well. Thanks in advance. Happy growing/breeding.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Well there is a load of info we could go over. We are not going to do that. Simply put, decide on an end goal, ie; what you would like to see in the next generation. If using a single unproven male, then you get what you get. If you are simply trying to improve on a variety one needs to select plants adhering to the predetermined guide lines. An example might be resin production, or flower size, or growth structure. Find the ones you feel are most important and select plants based on that. Choosing a male can be tricky, especially if its going to be a once and done male. unless you can flower the male completely it is difficult to tell if he is a real stud. And to be perfectly honest unless the dude is vigorous strong branched and resinous is still a gamble.
I hope this points you in the right direction. And always happy to answer anything I have knowledge of.

Peace

S

SOGreenThumb

Well there is a load of info we could go over. We are not going to do that. Simply put, decide on an end goal, ie; what you would like to see in the next generation. If using a single unproven male, then you get what you get. If you are simply trying to improve on a variety one needs to select plants adhering to the predetermined guide lines. An example might be resin production, or flower size, or growth structure. Find the ones you feel are most important and select plants based on that. Choosing a male can be tricky, especially if its going to be a once and done male. unless you can flower the male completely it is difficult to tell if he is a real stud. And to be perfectly honest unless the dude is vigorous strong branched and resinous is still a gamble.
I hope this points you in the right direction. And always happy to answer anything I have knowledge of.

Peace
thanks for the reply homebrew. So i should be looking for a complete stud? Does starting out with good genetics help the cause. or is that a myth? When you say resinous male, do you mean resinous around the flowers. Do you have any pictures of these studs that i should be looking for?

Top Bottom