Experienced Opinions On Roots Original Soil

• Thread starter Pimp T
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pimp T

Pimp T

Hey I have been a loyal ocean forest user for years. Ive done every thing from soil coco to hydro. I recently made a switch to happy frog works great not as hot as ocean as I wanted but just too much compaction and not enough aeration. I like cocos feel and from the experience ive had with coco roots seem to dig coco a little better ive also seen increased growth in coco with clones side by side with soil which leads me to want to try coco soil mix. Roots original may be my final stop. Any body have experienced opinions to offer on it? Can seeds be planted into it without burning? If so can it be fed water only first three weeks no nutes without yellowing. Does it burn easily with added nutes?

Shamus

Shamus

if you like root aphids, thrips, fungus gnats and probably live hissing possums then Yeah they aren't too bad

I personally go by a very strict rule of which consists of buying no bags with holes in them.. If your dead set on it I'd just try and source similar materials locally.. It'd be cheaper and most likely more quality ingredients.
Just more work

roots organics gave me root aphids my first grow ever, and Ik for a fact has infested hydro stores in my area with thrips and fungus gnats

Other wise you'll constantly be taking a gamble with pests

Just my experience

Fwiw I've heard they stepped up their game but I, not one to comment on that

Pimp T

Pimp T

Ive only used bagged soils fungus gnats not really a big big problem for me. But root aphids and thrips major problems. I keep hearing about root aphids with roots fuuucck. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it @Shamus

Shamus

Shamus

OF will burn plants and it is not suited for seedlings
their light warrior is more applicable for seedlings

Folks Ik that use it against my advice mix 1 bag forest with a bale of pro mix if memory serves for a veg starter soil

I personally like sunshine #4
The yellow bale..
And for seedlings and clones I use potters gold but idk that that will ever be nationally avail

Good luck

Edit I'm stoned.. First segment was about roots, I ate some edibles I made with a shit return on qwiso and my mind attached to OF for whatever reason on this one.. But it may help someone reading it so I'll leaves it. Lol

Last edited:
Pimp T

Pimp T

Yeah for seeds I go with 1 bag light warrior 1 bag ocean forest mix and seedlings do great.ocean has that nitro charge that I really like for 2-4 weeks veg water and teas only at that time with no probs at all nice green vigorous growth. I just want something like roots that seedlings can be planted into with good drainage and aeration but has enough of a charge to feed water only for early veg. Happy frog has all of the above except aeration and drainage. And the compaction on it fkin sucks ocean is the same as far as compaction but not as bad as happy. May just bite the bullet and go with happy one more round with added perlite and a few gals of coco added

Myco

Myco

Roots original has had quality controls for a while now...

You're better off using ProMix HP/BX, Sunshine #4 or #4 Advanced...

Then even better off adding your own amendments, recycling, re-amending as necessary, and building a quality, conditioned soil for long term use... you know exactly what's in it and control the variables.

A properly built and balanced soil with a healthy population of microbes is gentle enough for planting seeds directly into the soil, but nourish plants practically until the end.

Muckman420

Muckman420

Yeah for seeds I go with 1 bag light warrior 1 bag ocean forest mix and seedlings do great.ocean has that nitro charge that I really like for 2-4 weeks veg water and teas only at that time with no probs at all nice green vigorous growth. I just want something like roots that seedlings can be planted into with good drainage and aeration but has enough of a charge to feed water only for early veg. Happy frog has all of the above except aeration and drainage. And the compaction on it fkin sucks ocean is the same as far as compaction but not as bad as happy. May just bite the bullet and go with happy one more round with added perlite and a few gals of coco added
Add a little lime (buffer PH), and maybe more perlite to the mix for aeration.

Maybe some night crawlers if you are down for that...

My cousin in OR uses wood chips from redwoods but the guy at the hydro shop advised against it for some plants.

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

I've been using Roots for 6 years. Fungus gnats are an issue, but for small grows, very easy to control. Never had any other pests. Check out Batch 64, if your store carries it. It's organically amended coco mix.....pretty hot but works great with well established plants.

toxic1

toxic1

ive been using roots organics soils for about 3 years now. only bug ive ever gotten was gnats. i use roots original for clones and small plants. then roots greenfields for larger/flowering plants.

the soil should take care of them nute wise for a couple weeks. i dont feed in veg at all if that helps

Top Bottom