Experiences with UK based soils?

• Thread starter GDP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GDP

Has any1 had any good experiences with soils or composts available @ uk garden centres?

G

GDP

The only one i've used is the Westlands multi purpose with added John Innes, which i've had good results with but i recently ran the Exodus Cheese cut and it really didn't like it!

F

FastForward

I'm a coco grower, but recently have been going soil for my veggies outdoors - and I've tried John Innes #3 and imho it's crap - doesn't drail well enough for my liking. Got a bag of Bat Mix (H&G) and some All Mix (BioBizz) and both are a million times better in terms of drainage alone, just expensive. Now I 'cut' the John Innes stuff down with used coco and some perlite to make a better draining mix. Hope this helps...

A

andytoker

best to mix your own or at least cut the ready compost with some perlite.

try mixing 2 parts loam/john innes/topsoil with 2 parts peat/coco and 1 part perlite
even better if you can add 1 part mushroom compost or worm caste

i imagine the westland+john innes was to hot (nutrient rich) and wet for the cheese.

i like to buy unfertilised stuff - peat, topsoil - (westland is ok) and then add my own organic ferts and powdered dolomite lime . look in the organic section for soil mixes

B

bigleek

`B&Q s multi purpose with JI is good mixed with thier farm yard manure and a little fish blood &bone

Latest posts

Top Bottom