Experiment one:- Far Red, Phytochrome & DWC

• Thread starter Desertboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Desertboy

Desertboy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytochrome
Phytochromes are characterised by a red/far-red photochromicity. Photochromic pigments change their "colour" (spectral absorbance properties) upon light absorption. In the case of phytochrome the ground state is Pr, the r indicating that it absorbs red light particularly strongly. The absorbance maximum is a sharp peak 650–670 nm, so concentrated phytochrome solutions look turquoise-blue to the human eye. But once a red photon has been absorbed, the pigment undergoes a rapid conformational change to form the Pfr state. Here fr indicates that now not red but far-red (also called "near infra-red"; 705–740 nm) is preferentially absorbed. This shift in absorbance is apparent to the human eye as a slightly more greenish colour. When Pfr absorbs far-red light it is converted back to Pr. Hence, red light makes Pfr, far-red light makes Pr. In plants at least Pfr is the physiologically active or "signalling" state.
Using this information and a Far Red LED I intend to grow this AK47 out in a modified aquafarm (Turned it into an MPB essentially) on a lighting schedule of 11.5/9 so the plant goes through 8 circadian rhythms (Plant days) in 7 real days or after 7 real weeks the plant will be on 8 "plant" weeks.

I have another FR lamp which I shall use to extend the hours to 15/9 in a separate tent which is on day 18 at the moment.

Day one of flower

2 600w, 1 AK47, no airstones, flooming only.

Experiment one  far red phytochrome  dwc
Experiment one  far red phytochrome  dwc 2
Desertboy

Desertboy

A quick shot of the tent day 18 of flower, there are no fans in this tent intaking or extracting I just leave the tent unzipped a bit at the side and a small circulation fan inside the tent, 1KW obviously.

A picture of 1 of my males I'm going to breed back to the strains in my tent as I feel it's time to stop paying stupid money for seeds and breed my own.

DSCF1518
DSCF1520
DSCF1481

321abc

Im in for the ride. Thanks for taking up the challenge with something new.

Desertboy

Desertboy

I had a timer failure which has meant I can't run reliably what I wanted to save days to compensate this time I' running 15/9 15 hours lights on/9 dark with the FR on briefly at lights off.

This way I can use a standard grasslin timer not a digital which kept losing it's programming. I've been since told I might have a dirty earth not much I can do right now.

I'm having the summer off when I'm moving the grow and rebuilding at ground level at which point I'll run 2 taps from the consumer unit one for heavy load and 1 for the timers.

Or I'll rebuild with computer controlled relays and use a laptop as a brain with temp, humidity and co2 logging and relay controlled.

Last option when I rebuild outside bang an earth rod in the ground to get a clean earth for the timers only.

Unless I misunderstood it's not my wiring but my HPS gear that's causing the timers to fail due to interference on the power line.

DSCF1539
Desertboy

Desertboy

I'm not using FR with the tent after all as it has an AK47 clone in there so it'll be the control.

(A poor control I know) I took this up rather late in the day after the summer I shall do this properly 2 identical flower rooms, clones, co2 control and datalogging.

1 room FR enhanced, 1 the control room without FR.

phenotyper

phenotyper

I am really interested to see this, I followed the other thread closely. Thanks for sharing your experiment.

Desertboy

Desertboy

I have also considered just running 12/12 but pulsing the FR during the night period as I've read anecdotal evidence of 12/14 lighting basically cutting a 5-7 days off maturing a 9 week strain.

The FR should essentially give us the same effect with 12/12

My biggest worry is I don't have air con and summers coming I can definitely pull of 12/12 but unsure I can do 15/9 6 weeks from now when it gets red hot. I might be lucky have have a shit summer but we're due a hot one I'm laying money on it.

I might run 15/9 until temperatures become too extreme and drop to 12/12 this might be my only option.

At the moment after timer failure she's been on 12/12 she's only 8-9 days in flower.

I want to pulse the light when I run 15/9 which means cash flow! End of the month.

Not looking forward to my leccy bill.

Roll on October it'll be cold enough to run as much wattage as I could possibly need straight through until May, or 107 Million on the lottery tomorrow night!

Desertboy

Desertboy

These are 5 weeks today into flower hopefully 3 weeks of feeding left then flush for 1 week then harvest.

I have enough food left for 3 weeks I hope it lasts as I don't feel like buying more soil nutes, hydro's my thing.

IMG 0007
IMG 0008
Top Bottom