Extension Cord Fail.... Damn

• Thread starter Raw911
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Raw911

Lights went off at 6am. And somehow tripped extension cord. So EVERYTHING went off. I happened to check @7:00 and found all plants drooping. 64f and 70%rh
DAMN... So I've got all power issues fixed. This is day 2 of flower.
Tell me did my plants just get destroyed?
Should I turn on lights?
My temps and rh are back in place now with lights out.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Here's what you really need to be asking.

Why did the power go off?

You have too many amps going to the breaker.

You want at least 15-20% less amps than what the breaker is rated for.

A 1k light is around 9.5 amps. There's not much left for power on that breaker. Anything else that is plugged in can trip the breaker.

J

jinxjj

How thick is your extension cord and what are you running thru it?

Plants should be fine if only day 2 of bloom, good thing you caught it in time.

R

Raw911

Here's what you really need to be asking.

Why did the power go off?

You have too many amps going to the breaker.

You want at least 15-20% less amps than what the breaker is rated for.

A 1k light is around 9.5 amps. There's not much left for power on that breaker. Anything else that is plugged in can trip the breaker.

I was using a circuit breaker extension that the lights/ ballast isn't even plugged into. Ballast was still functioning. I've removed that extension and replaced it. But will keep close eye for a few days. But home breakers didn't trip

R

Raw911

How thick is your extension cord and what are you running thru it?

Plants should be fine if only day 2 of bloom, good thing you caught it in time.
It was a circuit breaker extension. I had 2 inline fans a oscillating fan and radiator hook to it.

J

jinxjj

So not a true "extension cord" like the orange ones you would see at a construction site, but you plugged into a different outlet coming out of your breaker and the breaker tripped? How many watts/amps are the fans and radiator pulling? Also, is the wire warm when the stuff is plugged in and running?

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

So not a true "extension cord" like the orange ones you would see at a construction site, but you plugged into a different outlet coming out of your breaker and the breaker tripped? How many watts/amps are the fans and radiator pulling? Also, is the wire warm when the stuff is plugged in and running?
radiators are a killer....750-1500watts...depending model....personally id rather have and extra 1kw light plugged in lol

R

Raw911

Well I just checked panel and I'm on a 20amp circuit. That's probably why the breakers never tripped. It's this piece of S**t ext that trips.

R

Raw911

radiators are a killer....750-1500watts...depending model....personally id rather have and extra 1kw light plugged in lol
I have the oil radiator set on low 68f so when lights go out I won't fall into the 55-60F range

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

I had a breaker go bad on me one night after all the hardware stores were closed. Because of my work schedule I keep night at night and it got real cold in a hurry. Ran a heavy duty EXT cord and a power strip to power a 1000 w space heater and the lamp (it only needed another hour of light or so) and that worked for the night, so yeah I'd say try a different surge protecter if you have to be using one.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

That thing is only rated for 15 amps.
It tripped the internal breaker. If it has one.
Your breaker is 20 amps that is feeding it.
Your pulling too much. Even if you get a regular cord they are still rated for 15 amps.
Put the radiator on a dedicated breaker.
Or better yet, buy another light like mentioned.

R

Raw911

That thing is only rated for 15 amps.
It tripped the internal breaker. If it has one.
Your breaker is 20 amps that is feeding it.
Your pulling too much. Even if you get a regular cord they are still rated for 15 amps.
Put the radiator on a dedicated breaker.
Or better yet, buy another light like mentioned.
Yes that thing does have a 15amp breaker. I think fans were ok. The radiator probably did it. So I'm running that to a different circuit.
Thanks

R

Raw911

Shit dude i didnt know you meant an OIL HEATER radiator..... Extension cords are a NO NO for those, you are lucky that thing tripped or you could have burned your house down.
Wow!!!!!
Ok so I'm thinking run a good thick ext cord for ballast and plug radiator into wall socket that's a 20amp circuit.

Any thoughts?

R

Raw911

Shit dude i didnt know you meant an OIL HEATER radiator..... Extension cords are a NO NO for those, you are lucky that thing tripped or you could have burned your house down.
Yep your exactly right:

1. The use of extension cords is not recommended, as they are likely to overheat and increase the risk of fire. However, where necessary, you may use a No. 1 4 AWG or larger cord rated for 1875 watts or more; the exten- sion cord should not be shared by any other appliance.

Ok I'm on my way to hardware store now.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

thats right, build your own heavy duty extention cord....cheap way out....i would still build anothe rgrow and use tha heat...if i had the space lol

R

Raw911

thats right, build your own heavy duty extention cord....cheap way out....i would still build anothe rgrow and use tha heat...if i had the space lol
Yea. I hear ya. But I don't have the space.

Top Bottom