EZ Cloners

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

It's time for a real clone machine. I looked at a few DIY set-ups and figured it's going to run me about 55-60 bucks to buy the materials to make one. Then I did a search for already made ones and found one for 63 bucks. Anyone have any experience with this one? My biggest concern is that the water pump is a cheap piece of shit and it will break down quickly and I'll have to throw it against the wall. Advice and suggestions? (note, I don't want to spend any more than 70 bucks...and if I make my own, I'd go with a better quality pump)

This is the one in question on fleabay:

K

kolah

Yep, Nat, is 1 minute on and 4 off a good cycle?

I'd make a clear dome for it as well.

Is there a minimum GPM the pump should put out? Could a small fish aquarium pump work well?

Natural

Natural

I think the timing of 1 and 4 look good..just wanna keep them wet and the water from getting too warm. The dome I think would be over-kill..but if it's in a lot of moving air..might help ya. I think the pump size would be in direct correlation with how many tips and what psi rating they have. I bet they sized theirs fairly close for it to work right. Maybe too little is worse than too much? this thread might help ya a lilhttps://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-cloner-is-my-pump-too-small.46611/

K

kolah

Nice...thanks for the link, Nat!

Hey OG, that one ain't too shabby from Home Depot although the misting wand looks a little funky-like.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Botanicare power cloner with dome is legit. Its pretty simple to build your own aero cloner like the ez clone, basically a Rubbermaid tote, pump, and pvc manifold. The only issue is the dome. I had inconsistency with my ez cloner, I summed it up to an enviro humidity issue. With the bcare cloner, the dome comes with. Haven't had an issue yet. But I'm versed onrunning aero cloners, shitty learning curve...

B

boo

I've got a few of the ebay units although mine is green...they work great but keeping them clean is key...I got mine when they were selling for 25 bucks...they jumped about a year ago...

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

the biggest downside to cloners like this is that the submerged pump generates heat within the res and this is a major issue with the smaller units in particular.

...back when i was learning my chops i put this together for a bit more than $20.00 and i used it with great success for over a year before i retired it, i found a simpler method that required much less work without sacrificing anything.

P5010002smll

P5010001smll

P5190011smll

PPETS 3756759t400

...i grow in coco hempy's now so i just clone in cups of moist coco.

DSCI4491

DSCI4490

...and something like this can be put together for very small money and it is extremely effective.

9973grosit3 209

68100 1682 Medium

68100 1685 Medium

68100 1688 Medium

68100 1689 Medium

...the benefit to all these methods except the bubbler up top is they all rely on passive techniques so, because there are no pumps, there can be no pump failures and the bubbler only uses an air pump so it has no impact on res temps.

peace, bozo

K

kolah

Pretty slick Bozo...I've done clones in cupped soil in the past with about 80-85% success rate but it's starting to be a pain in the ass for me and takes up more room than I would like. The torch light wicks are a good idea too.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...yeah, every method has it's downside although i personally prefer the hassle of passive wick style cloning as opposed to active hydro cloning like ez-cloners and bubblers and aero-cloners.

...with the passive methods you can be lazy, with active methods you have to be spot on with your res temps and your shit better be clean with active methods or you'll see what disappointment really looks like.

...my shit is sloppy, lazy, dirty and approx. 90 - 95% effective, being lazy and old, i have spent years learning how to grow stress free, now my shit practically grows itself.

...anyway, there's way more than one way to skin this cat and if you're up for it an ez-cloner, once dialed in, can produce a prodigious amount of rooted clones.

good luck, bozo

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Kolah - That cloner you linked to works awesome. I have 2 homebuilt ones and they pale in comparison.
Straight tap water gets 100% success every time.
Highly recommended.

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Hey guys, I'v built many ez clone style ones that get 100% success rate. As someone mentioned, the key is to keep a smaller pump so the water doesn't warm up too much. I combat this issue by using bigger totes that allow for more water, which doesn't heat up as much. In the heat of summer, throwing in a frozen 2L bottle or two a day solves the problem as well. Hope this helps, good luck finding something that suits your needs.

K

kolah

Thanks folks, I am pulling the trigger on the CloneKing 25.....first I'll hunt around for free shippping as most places want approx. 16 bucks to ship

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Yeah I pick up the turbo cloner it was a little pricey but I love it has a built in fan to help control the humidity, an heat In your bucket an i also purchased the humidity dome with it as well. From the manifold to the pump this is probably the best cloner on the market it is well built. But this is just my opinion tho

wonka

wonka

been using my ez cloner for 7 yrs... keep it clean n watch water temps! Cleaning - use a small amount of bleach to run through then run plain water through 3-5 times after.. Cuts - rootech gel ( i cut at 45 and let sit in rootech for 5 min then into a cup of water for 15 and into ez.. after I am finished taking all the cuts using same water n cup, I dump the water n dissolved gel into ez cloner ), plain ph'd water ( ph to 5.2 and after a day of so it levels off 5.8-6.2.. also 4/5 days in I change water once.) ambient temps 74-78. water temps 72-76 and run on a timer 30 on / 30 off.. ready to plant with roots everywhere in 2 weeks!

w.wonka

Last edited:
K

kolah

I also plan to sex the clones out as they root so I''ll light it for 12/12.

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

i use a 256gph pump for my ez-cloner. if you use to big of a pump it warms the water to much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom