F l u s h i n g

• Thread starter RsGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've allways been flushing am I gona have to convert now I'm on this website haha 😄
Imo it depends on media. But in certain media a flush can aid depending why your flushing. Like all things cannabis… many ways to do things.

Lowering or not using nutrients imo for the last week or 2 saves on fert costs with no real risk of harming your grow or end product. Flushing is more for soil/peat imo. Soilless and hydro just lower feed

Frostie069

Frostie069

Imo it depends on media. But in certain media a flush can aid depending why your flushing. Like all things cannabis… many ways to do things.

Lowering or not using nutrients imo for the last week or 2 saves on fert costs with no real risk of harming your grow or end product. Flushing is more for soil/peat imo. Soilless and hydro just lower feed
interesting, taken onboard thanks!

any recommendation on EC and period of doing this before harvest?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

A flush in soil/peat basically accomplishes the same thing as lowering the nutrient values of soiless and hydro.

It lowers the available nutrients by washing some out but there is always some that remain. In soil if you get the runoff below 600 (roughly as EC of soil is made up of more than just nutrients) and soiless /hydro below 300 should help finish them up a bit faster and the lower nutrients can aid in lower photosynthetic rates with a temp drop will help make color full expressions pop and a few other benefits. But thats my reasoning and how i like to do it… its not the only way by far.

Several studies have shown insignificant differences in flush and not flushing on terpenoid, flavonoid and cannabinoid production when flushing for the last week or 2.

So its not that flushing is wrong per se just not for the reasons many think imo. I gave my reasons above but ultimately its individual preference. I just prefer to reduce mine because im usually growing in soiless and hydro. If i was in soil i may or may not dependinghow the plant’s look to be finishing

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Cheers mate You don't flush ? I take it you just reduce nutrients?

No sir, I just conveniently time my nutrient cycles so that the end of my 4 week block is usually right near harvest time :) I don't want to constantly post Bugbee vids here but he's also covered this topic a few times and he sees no benefit from flushing unless it's to remove excess salts and flushing early can actually hurt the end product

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No sir, I just conveniently time my nutrient cycles so that the end of my 4 week block is usually right near harvest time :) I don't want to constantly post Bugbee vids here but he's also covered this topic a few times and he sees no benefit from flushing unless it's to remove excess salts
In terms of nutrients 100% brother.

But it is quite common to see that with new growers. Personally i think a flush is needed when exactly that… needed. Although like you say ideally it should never get to that.

I adjust my feed to save on nutrients, lower N availability to aid in anthocyanin production. Although the temp drop also helps with this.

Also organics will usually not have as much as an issue as synthetic nutrients because of the availability.

So yeah, each grow is its own beast

Frostie069

Frostie069

A flush in soil/peat basically accomplishes the same thing as lowering the nutrient values of soiless and hydro.

It lowers the available nutrients by washing some out but there is always some that remain. In soil if you get the runoff below 600 (roughly as EC of soil is made up of more than just nutrients) and soiless /hydro below 300 should help finish them up a bit faster and the lower nutrients can aid in lower photosynthetic rates with a temp drop will help make color full expressions pop and a few other benefits. But thats my reasoning and how i like to do it… its not the only way by far.

Several studies have shown insignificant differences in flush and not flushing on terpenoid, flavonoid and cannabinoid production when flushing for the last week or 2.

So its not that flushing is wrong per se just not for the reasons many think imo. I gave my reasons above but ultimately its individual preference. I just prefer to reduce mine because im usually growing in soiless and hydro. If i was in soil i may or may not dependinghow the plant’s look to be finishing
bloody awesome, thanks for the info.

I am new to all this so I have never reached that stage and like you said there are many ways to do things however, I have always been of the impression, flushing is only for a few days before harvest with water and that's just to reduce/eliminate the amount of nutrients in the plant for a cleaner smoke, it has been mentioned that the odd tastes and headaches some people experience when/after smoking hydro is caused by not flushing. how true is this?
I'm just sharing this to generate conversation so I can understand it all better.

RsGrows

RsGrows

Thanks for all your inputs I'm using auto pots atm so is like hydro I'm using 5050 coco an clay pebbles , sound stupid coming from me who flushes but toward the end of the cycle your plant still needs nutrients to get to its max that why u feed Lower so it still get them ? The next run I do I'll be lowering the nutrients an comparing them both

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

bloody awesome, thanks for the info.

I am new to all this so I have never reached that stage and like you said there are many ways to do things however, I have always been of the impression, flushing is only for a few days before harvest with water and that's just to reduce/eliminate the amount of nutrients in the plant for a cleaner smoke, it has been mentioned that the odd tastes and headaches some people experience when/after smoking hydro is caused by not flushing. how true is this?
I'm just sharing this to generate conversation so I can understand it all better.
A few days is not going to make a difference. You cannot pull nutrients out of the plants per se once they have been taken up. Some speculation on high P being the culprit but honestly the dry and cure is likely their issue…. Or feeding to toxic levels and a flush wont help that in a few days

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for all your inputs I'm using auto pots atm so is like hydro I'm using 5050 coco an clay pebbles , sound stupid coming from me who flushes but toward the end of the cycle your plant still needs nutrients to get to its max that why u feed Lower so it still get them ? The next run I do I'll be lowering the nutrients an comparing them both
Yeah you dont want to low of an EC so that the plant can maintain its functions properly. Water flows from high salinity to low salinity and while i wont get into the whole science of it feeding pure RO or extremely low ppm in soiless is not going to do the plants any favors

RsGrows

RsGrows

Yeah you dont want to low of an EC so that the plant can maintain its functions properly. Water flows from high salinity to low salinity and while i wont get into the whole science of it feeding pure RO or extremely low ppm in soiless is not going to do the plants any favors
So what would your ec be toward the end of cycle ? My tap waters 0.4 ec

Top Bottom