F1, Bc1 Hybrid, Heirloom And Open Pollinated Explained.

• Thread starter Howlinghawk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Howlinghawk

lGreetings! I am doing a very special report that will include a simple explanation of the different types of genetics and grow report of our newly created F1 hybrid showing true heterosis, creating BC1 seeds with those F1s grown right besides plants from it's inbred parent line. In the meantime I can try to answer any questions as best as I possibly can. Here we go! Feel free to correct me anytime I am wrong, I am no scientist just a simple breeder.

F1s what are they? F1 hybrids are the first generation of offspring of two different types of inbred lines. The offspring of these inbred lines create a uniform phenotype that adopts traits from both of the parents, can show hybrid vigour therefor increasing performance in yield, resistances, and potency. The disadvantage of F1 that if you breed them creating F2 you will lose some performance as well as consistancy making a seed that will show lots of different phenotypes. Below I will post some pictures of an F1 strain showing true heterosis or "hybrid vigour" that an F1 should have.

BC1 what are they? So now that we know how to create F1, BC1 (or first generation of backcross) is our F1 bred back to one of the parents or a plant from that same inbred line. If the recurrent parent is an elite genotype, an elite genotype is then recovered as a result of backcrossing and as there is no new combination the elite cross is saved. We are going to cross our new F1 to one of it's parents here also to create BC1 and grow them out.

Heirlooms and Open Pollinateds what are they? The best way I can explain this, is say you go into the wild and you find inbred wild seeds. These seeds are a result of open pollination. You probably have heard the term "heirloom" when it comes to produce, but heirlooms are the result of inbreeding open polinated over generations while your are selecting them for traits you desire. Our parents of the new hybrid are Durban Heirloom and Blackberry Heirloom that have been selectively inbred for a long long time. Now if you throw a bunch of open pollinateds into a room and allow them to all grow and breed without interfering, then they are still open pollinated. If you want to create your own f1 hybrid, you will want to use Heirlooms because the offspring will show the traits that you chose for. The disadvandtages to heirlooms and open pollinaters is they lead to a decreased physical fitness of the population. That's why we use inbreds to breed not for production and f1 for production not for breeding (only time I will breed a hybrid if it is clone only and I got an extra one around like i did with GG4xPoison, I would not expect much of these).

And now to the grow! If you read this like soon as I post you gotta wait my internets slowwwww!

Last edited:
H

Howlinghawk

So we took our durban (right) and pollinated it to or blackberry (left). You are going to have to take my word that any other blackberry plant or Durban of ours would look uniform to these for they are heirlooms.

Last edited:
H

Howlinghawk

To create these F1 hybrids and I can already notice the heterosis and the uniformity we desire. These are only two plant due to my legal plant limit I am unable to test more at this time, but all the ones I test once plant limit opens up will be just like these twins. here they are!

H

Howlinghawk

Family pic, you can see how it's more short and compact as the durbans, but definitely the leaves are more on the sativa side. We will see how it unfolds over time.

H

Howlinghawk

I have been so busy, but we have a blackberry poison female selected for flower and a male (they were all identical plants) that I am going to put into flower with my durban female breeder. picks soon! in the future we will compare the bc1 to the f1 seeds side by side! Pics coming tomorrow.

H

Howlinghawk

here are some older ones for now, the selected blackberry durban male and female out of 32. They all smell like welch's grape juice!

Matt McAuley

Matt McAuley

Nice cross man! I'm excited to see bud shots, I bet its a tasty smoke

Top Bottom