Fabric For Capillary Action

• Thread starter dwood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dwood

dwood

Hi All,
I am getting into bottom feeding. My setup consist of 2/5gal buckets. One hold water and the other hold the plant. The problem comes when the roots grow throught the bucket and into the water. Which cause root rot. I am looking for a fabric which will help or prevent that from hppening. Do anyone know of something that will help with this problem.

str8smokn

str8smokn

I'm not sure, but wouldn't recirculating water help, be kind of like a hydro. Mabey try to do the rope unraveled through first bucket into second w/ water nute thing. That way plant only gets what it needs, no roots into bottom bucket.

dwood

dwood

I dont think its water temp, unless its to cool. Recirculating isnt feasible right now. However, I amgoing to try airstones

dwood

dwood

I'm not sure, but wouldn't recirculating water help, be kind of like a hydro. Mabey try to do the rope unraveled through first bucket into second w/ water nute thing. That way plant only gets what it needs, no roots into bottom bucket.
Ok, what do u think about adding a Airstone in the water bucket

str8smokn

str8smokn

Have you tried any kind of weed blocker fabric in bottom of 1st bucket, to keep roots contained?

str8smokn

str8smokn

Sorry, I haven't grown DWC,check search bar up top for DWC grows. But I wouldn't think it would hurt, from what I've read.Im guessing this is indoor?

dwood

dwood

Naw, I havent tried any type of weed blocker fabric. I was thinking it might stop the capillary action. But i am going to try some (nylon) window screen.
This is not DWC, I would call it a more controlled bottom feeding.

3G Labs

3G Labs

Just add an airstone and drop the water level as the plants get bigger. Keep the water somewhat fresh and you shouldn't get root rot.
Even if the roots are completely submerged, as long as you have an airstone with a strong pump and do water changes, you won't get root rot.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
A 5 gallon bucket fits into a 3 gallon smartpot almost perfect.

str8smokn

str8smokn

Roots will go right through win/ screen. I've read about tying roots in loose knots to make more compact, controlled.

Top Bottom