Fabric pots and overflow pans

• Thread starter Homegrown81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homegrown81

Homegrown81

Hey all, going to be starting my first indoor grow soon and I've been probably just overthinking it, but does anyone that uses fabric pots set them on anything inside the overflow pan? I was thinking about putting them on a cooling rack that you'd use for cookies and stuff to keep them from sitting in water. Didnt know if anyone has had problems with mold/mildew from sitting directly in pan. Plus I figured it'd give it some more airflow as well. Thoughts?

Dan789

Dan789

I’ve used the spacers as sold by the hydro suppliers, and have used 3/4’ furring strips. The furring strips work somewhat better as there’s less chance of the bag falling off, or tipping off the taller spacers.

sambapati

sambapati

Hey all, going to be starting my first indoor grow soon and I've been probably just overthinking it, but does anyone that uses fabric pots set them on anything inside the overflow pan? I was thinking about putting them on a cooling rack that you'd use for cookies and stuff to keep them from sitting in water. Didnt know if anyone has had problems with mold/mildew from sitting directly in pan. Plus I figured it'd give it some more airflow as well. Thoughts?
Your cooling rack sounds like a smart idea....you can use a turkey baster or something like that to suck up the excess water. I think you are right on, curious what the really smart people say...

Homegrown81

Homegrown81

Your cooling rack sounds like a smart idea....you can use a turkey baster or something like that to suck up the excess water. I think you are right on, curious what the really smart people say...
Yeah was just worried about the mold factor, and figured air flowing not only over and around but under the plant as well could be beneficial. They are 9"x9" 3 gallon fabric pots and would fit perfectly on a 10"x10" rack.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

I use these floating floor circles. I’ve seen people just use light gage metal grating on top of upside down seedling pots.

you are right about the potential for mold or other unpleasantness.

6DC148FB 97C0 4AAB AC0C 90F8C9EA16BC
Homegrown81

Homegrown81

I use these floating floor circles. I’ve seen people just use light gage metal grating on top of upside down seedling pots.

you are right about the potential for mold or other unpleasantness.
Those look like they work rather well too. Glad I'm not the only one who's thought of this. I'm sure there are many others, I just don't see anyone talking about it. Your ladies look nice too btw.

Dr.B

Dr.B

😉

Last edited:
Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Those look like they work rather well too. Glad I'm not the only one who's thought of this. I'm sure there are many others, I just don't see anyone talking about it. Your ladies look nice too btw.

Thnams. This picture is a little old though. I fried the poor girls on last fertilizing. Still going to get usable smoke, but will taste a little chemy/ harsh.

4AD20B3F B12B 4694 B4F7 8BB4DEF20F50
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes it best practice indeed I stole my wife’s cooling racks years ago . Warmer dryer roots aids in plant health. But you should check out @Dr.B grow hack for pot risers it’s better than a cooling rack . Regards Od .

amekins

amekins

Mine is an outdoor grow and I’ve been monitoring the planks my pots have been on, and today was the day I kicked myself for not checking earlier this week with all the heat and humidity we’ve had.

5227A069 8011 4430 9EBE 96D12632E702
323D4AC1 79A0 4A86 89FA CD1B0A494DAD

It’s been addressed now, but I don’t know yet whether my plants have been affected. Time will tell.

7A0877F4 24CA 4A3F 94E8 A36651A3A8B2

DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

For those of you using the fabric pots do you test your leachate to determine ppms in soil? I’m doing my first grow in fabric pots and was wondering if because the water leaks from all sides if it would test as accurately

amekins

amekins

For those of you using the fabric pots do you test your leachate to determine ppms in soil? I’m doing my first grow in fabric pots and was wondering if because the water leaks from all sides if it would test as accurately
I do not.

amekins

amekins

I have yet to test the ppm of my runoff. I don’t really have plans to but if a problem arises, I would think that as long as you don’t let the water in the pot really pool above the soil line and let it run in more slowly, you won’t have the issue of runoff that really isn’t skewing your reading.

amekins

amekins

I got mine off Amazon I think. It arrived busted up, had to use pieces
I’ll keep looking there. I’m using Fox Farms Ocean Forest for soil and have only added perlite and worm castings to that. They are fed liquid nutrients and the pH of that solution is checked, and I have a pH meter in one of the pots. They are watered using tap water left out for 24 hours. I know the ppm there is 150. I’ve checked the ppm of my feed solution and it was in the 800s. Sort of freaked me out that I was killing these plants. But they’re not dying and are doing reasonable ok for now, so I’m not messing with it. I’m sure there’s a part of the process I’m not managing well or completely screwing up. Dealt with caterpillars that munched leaves and now spider mites. They’re still going going so I stopped sweating the things I was struggling with and I’m trying to enjoy the process more.
D72A9D21 19F1 4098 A54E 13EC5BB454A3

Latest posts

Top Bottom