Fabric pots and overflow pans

• Thread starter Homegrown81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

I’ll keep looking there. I’m using Fox Farms Ocean Forest for soil and have only added perlite and worm castings to that. They are fed liquid nutrients and the pH of that solution is checked, and I have a pH meter in one of the pots. They are watered using tap water left out for 24 hours. I know the ppm there is 150. I’ve checked the ppm of my feed solution and it was in the 800s. Sort of freaked me out that I was killing these plants. But they’re not dying and are doing reasonable ok for now, so I’m not messing with it. I’m sure there’s a part of the process I’m not managing well or completely screwing up. Dealt with caterpillars that munched leaves and now spider mites. They’re still going going so I stopped sweating the things I was struggling with and I’m trying to enjoy the process more. View attachment 1008561
Smile through the pain, roll with the changes and embrace the process. Your stems look really really strong to me so all of the battles have left no real scars. Time to get some scaffolding/sea of green/ direction here. Have you thought of manifolding? It takes longer but you get some monster multiplier of colas. Onwards.

sambapati

sambapati

For those of you using the fabric pots do you test your leachate to determine ppms in soil? I’m doing my first grow in fabric pots and was wondering if because the water leaks from all sides if it would test as accurately
Airpots are better. Like your dead dog avatar DirtyDave.

amekins

amekins

Smile through the pain, roll with the changes and embrace the process. Your stems look really really strong to me so all of the battles have left no real scars. Time to get some scaffolding/sea of green/ direction here. Have you thought of manifolding? It takes longer but you get some monster multiplier of colas. Onwards.
Absolutely planned for in the future. I never expected to actually have something grow. Lol. I will be using a rope trellis once I’ve identified gender and pulled the males...if that leaves me with any plants.

Last edited:
Cjm2164

Cjm2164

Hey all, going to be starting my first indoor grow soon and I've been probably just overthinking it, but does anyone that uses fabric pots set them on anything inside the overflow pan? I was thinking about putting them on a cooling rack that you'd use for cookies and stuff to keep them from sitting in water. Didnt know if anyone has had problems with mold/mildew from sitting directly in pan. Plus I figured it'd give it some more airflow as well. Thoughts?
I use the plastic trays. Has ridges to keep off the surface.

Madmax

Madmax

I like that idea bro.. ive been thinking of making a steel tray with mesh inside of it and having it on slight incline so to gather the runoff at one end.i have 2 55x120cm trays but they dont make the most of the space in room..your idea has got me thinking what i can fab up..to protect the steel from rust id use some 2k epoxy primer.the iron oxide could do harm to the plant roots maybe

CF89

CF89

Good observation about the iron oxide. I wonder if that will actually harm them or not.

I’ve also got the intake air coming underneath. Then splitting into two and blowing straight up under the canopy.

the only negative is it loses 8” of head room. I can probably trim the legs down 4” though. Need just enough for the 4” ducting.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Screenshot 20200903 073328 Chrome

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i use golf balls to fill the saucer i put the bag on, this slows airflow and to be able to spin the plants around.

CF89

CF89

you guys water your fabric pots till they overflow out the bottom every time??

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you guys water your fabric pots till they overflow out the bottom every time??
i try not to, only a bit. depending on your feed and medium you don’t want to wash out the macro/micro organisms..

CF89

CF89

i try not to, only a bit. depending on your feed and medium you don’t want to wash out the macro/micro organisms..

I am using 100% plain ol promix with 30% perlite. nothing else. just the general hydroponics nutrients line.

the 5 gallon fabric pots get a gallon of water every 3 or so days. water never leaks out the bottom. should I be giving them more water?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I am using 100% plain ol promix with 30% perlite. nothing else. just the general hydroponics nutrients line.

the 5 gallon fabric pots get a gallon of water every 3 or so days. water never leaks out the bottom. should I be giving them more water?
no that sounds about right, probably a half gallon more you would see some run out.
do your fabric pots have airflow underneath?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
no that sounds about right, probably a half gallon more you would see some run out.
also as the plants roots take over more space your likely to see run off with a gallon.
i use 10 gallon and the roots have totally taken over, so with a gallon and half, i see a bit of water in the tray.

CF89

CF89

Very good airflow I’d say. Not too much either. A 4” intake fan that branches off into two and shoots the bottom of the pots through a mesh grating 8” off the ground.

Madmax

Madmax

The microbes dont wash out that easily in the rhizosphere they actually attach to the roots and form a nice sexy relationship 😃

sambapati

sambapati

The microbes dont wash out that easily in the rhizosphere they actually attach to the roots and form a nice sexy relationship 😃
Wanted to show of my 10.00 overflow pan scheme for this new grow. I spraypainted it purple and have the pans for easy retrieval. My last grow turned out ok but this new drain makes it ezpz
20201016 200952
20201014 172238
20201016 200924

Latest posts

Top Bottom