Fabric pots or old’school black pots?

• Thread starter Silk689
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Silk689

Silk689

Hey peeps i hope everyone’s good.. :-))

What do you guys prefer, fabric pots or the old’school plastic pots? I still use the plastic black pots coz its given me great results and its not broke so why try and fix it? 😂🤷🏽‍♂️. However i am hearing alot about these fabric pots. What ya”ll prefer and why?

jamk911

jamk911

I actually have the unpopular opinion.. i prefer 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in em.. used em first 2 grows and worked amazing...
I now use fabric pots since thats the popular opinion.. and i personally dont like em much.. they do help aerate the soil but with my set up being hard to access (gt move a giant dresser to access closet) i dont like watering often..
Fabric pots are good if you have a heavy hand watering wise though.. they help prevent roots drowning by providing oxygen to the roots through the pot

2Bad

2Bad

What do you guys prefer, fabric pots or the old’school plastic pots? I still use the plastic black pots coz its given me great results and its not broke so why try and fix it? 😂🤷🏽‍♂️. However i am hearing alot about these fabric pots. What ya”ll prefer and why?
I guess most people I see using fabric are growing coco im assuming because we need a bit quicker dry back to get explosive growth cus we treat it like hydro

Silk689

Silk689

Yea definitely indoor man. If i was doing outdoor it would go straight into the ground and not into any pots.

iam prob kinda set in my ways (a little) lol as been doing plastic pots for over 20 years.. :-)). With new tech coming out everyday i had to ask 😊..

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I grew my first few crops with fabric and they worked well, but I didn't like moving them much, I felt like if they were not bone dry the pot was compacting the soil and roots when I picked them up. I pull my plants out of the tent to prune, lollipop, mainline, etc so I don't use them anymore. I also just use coco, dry ferts and teas, and do not water to runoff. I am not saying I am "THE EXPERT" because I am not, just stating my personal choice. I like easy because I have limited time for plant care with a family at home and career. I like large plastic pots, most of mine run in the 10-15gal range with large plants to keep plant count down. Doing this, I can water just to run off Friday night and camp/ ride in the mountains till Sunday-Monday without killing the girls. I have run as big as 20 gallon but they are a PITA to move around and are now just large baskets for my pot collection. Lol.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I use nothing but 5 gallon fabric pots, indoors. They have great soil aeration, they drain well, and they are very portable. I can't see any reason to ever go back to plastic pots.
I’ve never dumped a grow bag out and found it rootbound. I have with buckets. Buckets are easier to move when plants get big. But they’re easier to screw up by overwatering.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I grew my first few crops with fabric and they worked well, but I didn't like moving them much, I felt like if they were not bone dry the pot was compacting the soil and roots when I picked them up. I pull my plants out of the tent to prune, lollipop, mainline, etc so I don't use them anymore. I also just use coco, dry ferts and teas, and do not water to runoff. I am not saying I am "THE EXPERT" because I am not, just stating my personal choice. I like easy because I have limited time for plant care with a family at home and career. I like large plastic pots, most of mine run in the 10-15gal range with large plants to keep plant count down. Doing this, I can water just to run off Friday night and camp/ ride in the mountains till Sunday-Monday without killing the girls. I have run as big as 20 gallon but they are a PITA to move around and are now just large baskets for my pot collection. Lol.
That movement of bag versus the medium is part of how bags prune roots. When you move it they’re pruned.

thatguy2001

thatguy2001

I use plastic until they go into their forever pots, which are 30 gallon fabric.
I find that the fabric pots allow for an easier watering. When I used plastic I found that it was too easy to underwater because the water would run down the power edge and I couldn't tell how deep it had gotten.
I also had issues with root aphids in the plastic pots that I don't have in the fabric.
I grow indoor in living soil, no till. The plants only get moved in sets of two, on their rolling platforms.
I do have an issue with not being able to get the sides as most as if like, but the pots are big enough that it doesn't hamper the growth (that I can tell).

RavynJax

RavynJax

I recently switched from Fabric Pots to Air Pots. You can get 7 Gallon Air Pots with saucers on Amazon (12 of them for $108.00). They take up the same area as a 5 gallon fabric pot and I like them for growing my larger plants (especially Sativa's which I switch out to 13 Gallon Air Pots in a 10 foot tall grow area). Fabric Pots and Air Pots typically give the same production; however, some Air Pot Manufactures have started making taller air pots which give you more root growth in the same fabric bag footprint. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FZXFVMB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Sorry to s*** on the plastic in the air pot industry that are making a killing I'm sure but where I come from We're poor folk and a lot of times you'll see cardboard brace by chicken wire making some of the best plant you ever seen I know I'm talking about outdoor mainly but you'd be shocked what you can do with no regular s*** you find a hardware store

sportyridr

sportyridr

must be the search results provided too much information 🤔🥱

CannaDana

CannaDana

Skies the limit for u......imagination and ingenuity......lets see what u can do brother

That looks really fun! I'm going to have to try that for veggies. My only concern is that one of the advantages of fabric pots is the breathability, and the concrete destroys that. But cute and awesome idea!

Top Bottom