Fabric pots or plastic pots?

• Thread starter dudsy13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dudsy13

Howdy all. I wanted to pick your brains about the pros and cons of growing in fabric pots compared to the plastic pots when growing in Coco. Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Fast wet dry cycles.
Fabric allows for more air flow penetration to the medium.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I’ll be the odd one out here I guess

It’s rare for me and capt to disagree but at least with him I know we can do it amicably as he’s a good dude

I ran out of plastic pots and had to use a fabric one

I really really didn’t like it dried out to much at the top when the bottom was still wet

They do need watering more slowly or the water start squirting every where

When I transplanted the fabric one was a real pita

Had less roots than the others that sat In plastic pots that maybe grower error ; you can never rule that out

Others may find them great however “ personally “ i’d rather try and grow in a teapot next time

Last edited:
D

dudsy13

It’s rare for me and capt to disagree but at least with him I know we can do it amicably as he’s a good dude

I really really didn’t like it dried out to much at the top when the bottom was still wet

Had less roots than the others that sat In plastic pots

Others may find them great however “ personally “ i’d rather try and grow in a teapot next time
Yeah that's a big worry for me.plastic is working good so far for me. Cheers for the feedback bro

K

KeyFingerFlying

I would say fabric but plastic are cheaper and easy to store and transplant so you decide. If you are planning on repotting then plastic

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter

Had less roots than the others that sat In plastic pots that maybe grower error ; you can never rule that out

Say homie, we have chopped it up a ton here, enough to know, it really is a preference at the end of the day. I definitely get having them dry too fast being a pain. I actually run both all mixed together.

I do t discriminate 😂

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

ive used both, & i like the cloth better, im using 3 gal & water every 4 to 5 days, i just fill a 5gal bucket up with mixed water, ph tested let them soak for about 7/8mins then pullem out lettem drain at an angle for awhile then bringem back inside & repeat, cloth have nice handles too, lol

Thumbnail 92
Newty

Newty

I use both.
My plastic containers are from The Bucket Company, I love these things! Plus they have a mesh air pruning insert and space for air circulation. I already have the purple ones, thinking of getting some green from them also for a Joker theme lol.
Fabric pots work well also, sometimes you have to water a little slower or it will run out the sides of fabric pots.

Do you have plans for an irrigation system or drainage system? That could have an effect on what kind of pots to use depending on system type.

Choppr

Choppr

I would recommend fabric to new growers as overwatering is the #1 problem, Plastic takes longer to dry back.
With Coco you want faster wet/dry cycles.
I like the Plastic Weaved Pots from "Rain Science", wash out and reuse just like Plastic Pots. strong durable, a little spendy but last for ever!
and their best feature - Made in America!

figolus

figolus

Hello,
you have a possibility to use fabric pot for final pot , or put Ur seed directly on Fabric pot and no transplantation.

otherwise it's true that for watering, it's like airpots, it's boring...

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Howdy all. I wanted to pick your brains about the pros and cons of growing in fabric pots compared to the plastic pots when growing in Coco. Thanks in advance for the advice guys.
Coco I would say in fabric pots, but i dont grow in cooc so see @Captspaulding message

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

They both work, so it's preference. Another factor to consider is transplanting. Easier to transplant from plastic than from fabric. There are some "fancy" options that give you both easy transplants and root pruning/faster drybacks, e.g. Air-Pots.

D

dudsy13

Thanks everyone. Sort of got a feel for what I need for my region now. Love the knowledge from the community

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Black plastic pots outdoors I would not recommend, they get super hot in direct sunlight in the summer.
Indoors no issues.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Peep it, in my current setup,
There is no difference in dry out rates between Plastic and fabric here were I am located on the moon. But just so you know I wasn’t BS’ing ya, I run both, no rhyme or reason. They both work well. It to me, is about watering practice in conjunction with your micro climate indo, and battling the elements outdoor. Application of one or the other is fully relative to what I myself would use them for, stage of growth, root health. All of these things will usually dictate what I would finish a plant in.

IMG 4224

Latest posts

Top Bottom