Facebook Co-Founders Give $170K to Pro-Pot Measure

• Thread starter frostedlove
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

frostedlove

California's ballot measure to legalize marijuana has a new friend: Facebook co-founder Sean Parker has given $100,000 to back the proposal.

Parker's donation was reported in Proposition 19 campaign finance filings this week.

And he's not the first big Proposition 19 donor with ties to the social networking site. Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz gave $20,000 to the campaign and has contributions $70,000 overall.

Neither Parker nor Moskovitz are still with Palo Alto-based Facebook, but both still have ownership stakes. Recent estimates put the value of the privately held company as high as $33.7 billion.

"What's interesting here is that (Parker) is a member of the generation that really gets it," said Stephen Gutwillig, a spokesman for the Drug Policy Alliance, the main beneficiary of Parker's contribution. "We think he's pivotal to the future of drug policy reform in the country."

The 30-year-old served as Facebook's first president and helped transform the company from dorm-room project to big business. Parker and Moskovitz have become household names since the recent release of "The Social Network." The film chronicling the contentious origins of Facebook was No. 1 at the box office last week.

Pop musician and actor Justin Timberlake plays Parker in the movie, which portrays him as a hotshot who convinces Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to push out his friend from the burgeoning company.

In a recent Vanity Fair profile, the media-shy entrepreneur is described as a computer-programming prodigy with an uncanny knack for anticipating online trends and a penchant for designer clothes and partying.

At age 19, Parker helped develop Napster, the music-sharing software that turned the recording industry upside-down. He is now a partner at Founders Fund, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm.

Parker did not immediately respond to e-mails seeking comment.

marski420

marski420

Fuck facebook.. Just another way for people to cause drama and get into other peoples business. Of course I'm pro pot but FUCK the book.

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

That is an awesome contribution! Just saw "The Social Network" last night at the movies and it was kinda boring. The story is interesting,tho. During the party scenes..they were ripping bong hits off of a 5 foot bong..lol

F

frostedlove

down with prop 19

Just to put my vote out there since I posted this......is DOWN with prop......People making money and its shady. Cause Oakland wrote the bill........No disrespect to any one from Oakland but Oakland is HELLA SHADY! I am sure everyone from Oakland will tell that as well. All my bros from there say so.......HEll its Oakland....so I dont trust any of those guys pushing the bill....

Medical is good for now... till something else comes along.

I was just posting the info to share!

Indica Jones

Indica Jones

No more Medical Marihuana ads on Facebook

(CBS)

It’s not clear what Facebook was smoking, but the world’s largest social networking site has snubbed out an effort by pro-marijuana advocates to run ads on the site which promote the legalization of marijuana.
That’s according to the Huffington Post’s Ryan Grim. The issue is particularly relevant to medical marijuana supporters. Three of the four ballot initiatives the organization “Just Say Now,” hopes to influence, increase access to the drug for medical purposes.
The three states going to the ballot box are Arizona, Oregon and South Dakota. The group also supports a ballot imitative in California that seeks to legalize marijuana outright. Medical marijuana is already legal there.
Studies show that people with HIV, spinal cord injury, and other pain-related disorders can benefit from smoking pot, according to WebMD.

Hi,

We don't deny ads for any political cause. We've evaluated the matter, and determined that submitted ads with the marijuana leaf image place an unnecessary emphasis on marijuana use, which is not the message we want to send. Just as we don't allow any ads that advocate or facilitate the use of tobacco products, we exercise the same caution in evaluating marijuana ads. We will allow ads supporting marijuana legalization, provided they are tastefully positioned.

Thanks for contacting Facebook,

Wesley
Online Sales Operations Policy
Facebook

The internet Giant FACEBOOK was and is forced to comply with the 1994 Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act... meaning that any criminal activity (Federal or otherwise) must be logged and reported to the authorities. I don't condone these laws or actions the internets takes but they (internet companies) don't have a choice in the matter. Phone companies, websites, news sources (including the Mods running the comments sections), Ham and CB radio... the list goes on and on.

Not only is there this law but The Patriot Act too...

Children are instructed to make notes, take pictures and phone in "suspicious" crime or unknown people to local authorities. Snapscouts.org

Top Bottom