Facebook Deletes Legal Medical Marijuana

• Thread starter indicabush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicabush

indicabush

Facebook deletes legal medical marijuana pages, patients and doctors protest

marijuana-getty%5B1%5D.jpg

Medical marijuana is legal in 23 US states including New Jersey but Facebook has taken down several pages that advertise and sell the drug, saying they violate the website's rules.

Facebook homepages run by three dispensaries in the so-called Garden State have been shut down, as reported by NJ.com.

Dispensary owners and customers have reacted in anger. Facebook has declined to respond and has referred media to its community standards section.

Several medical marijuana centers, including the Garden State Dispensary, the Breakwater Wellness and Treatment Center and the Compassionate Sciences Alternative Treatment Center in New Jersey said when they tried to use their homepage, they were shown a message that read: "We remove any promotion or encouragement of drug use.”

“Your page is currently not visible on Facebook. It looks like content on your page does not follow the Facebook Community Terms and Standards.”

Facebook does not allow advertisements that promote the sale or use of illegal, prescription or recreational drugs.

Ken Wolski, Chief Executive Officer of the Coalition for Medical Marijuana and a registered nurse in New Jersey, told The Independent it was “entirely inappropriate” for Facebook to shut down these pages.

“These pages do not violate community standards, they reflect community standards.”

“Marijuana was legalized over six years ago - the federal government has not intervened [with state law] so why has Facebook intervened?” he added.

A spokeswoman for the Washington-based Marijuana Policy Project said in a statement: "While Facebook is a private company and has the right to control what businesses advertise on their site or the content of posts, it makes no sense for them to censor content related to medical marijuana. Marijuana transactions cannot take place on Facebook, so the company would not be breaking any federal laws, and many dispensary Facebook pages provide useful information for people looking to learn more about a medicine that is legal in their states."

Mr Wolski added that about 5600 patient ID cards have been issued in New Jersey for patients to legally access medical marijuana, but some people still use the drug illegally because their health condition is not yet recognized.

“All forms of chronic pain are excluded except that caused by cancer or HIV aids - it’s an arbitrary limitation and has no scientific basis," said Mr Wolski.

Medical marijuana is also proven to help treat neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy and ALS, as well as Parkinson's disease.

Possession and production of marijuana is illegal under federal law but it is legal in 23 states.

Dispensaries in Maine and Washington have also reportedly complained about their Facebook presence being disconnected.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
"Digital book burning" I dont know who is in charge but obviously cannabis is a SERIOUS threat to some folks.... not like a physical threat... more of a HUGE dent in someones pocket.

My response... KEEP IT UP BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I am.totally against face book.but Since they deleted the medical mj page, why doesn't someone make a profile titled pills and booze. Then fill it with pics of narcotics and booze. Nothing but pills and liquor. It's perfectly legal. Then possibly.post pics of drug rehabs, due arrests, due accidents and no deaths, and also pics from narcotic pill . overdoses.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I am.totally against face book.but Since they deleted the medical mj page, why doesn't someone make a profile titled pills and booze. Then fill it with pics of narcotics and booze. Nothing but pills and liquor. It's perfectly legal. Then possibly.post pics of drug rehabs, due arrests, due accidents and no deaths, and also pics from narcotic pill . overdoses.
Oh i love that!!!!

GrammaHydro

GrammaHydro

Well hiya there :D
I say fuck facebook too.
I am not surprised that these medical cannabis people are being discriminated against though.
Insurance companies deny mmj patients coverage when mmj is their choice of treatment. Employers are still firing people for using marijuana even if they have a legit prescription. MMJ patient have to go to a dispensary, not a pharmacy, and that alone is segregation and discrimination! People receiving government assistance still are targets on how they may or may not continue their assistance if they choose mmj treatment. When mmj is legalized there still problems getting the medicine!
I ask this and I already know the answer....but.....does diabetic people face this kind of discrimination to receive their medicine? Do heart patients? Does anyone who need medication for any illness have to go through the shit mmj patients have to go through to receive their choice of medicine?
No!
It is still going to take a while to re-educate all the people that cannabis is not a bad drug! I am encouraged though. More information is now being provided and I believe over half the USA is legalizing MMJ!
The federal government is the biggest stumbling block. Until they change the classification and schedule that cannabis is under there will always be conflict. I don't understand why the citizens just don't get together and sue the federal government to change the classification. Obviously someone needs to spark fire under their asses...lol
I think the government don't want to change this because really it would be too hard to control. Too many common folks like us could make a living and the greedy government just don't want that to happen.. we are doomed to be slaves to the stupidity of the US government I guess...lol like hell......I'll stick with the black market and stay away from doctors like I have been doing for the last 38 years of my life. :D I don't need a doctor to tell me marijuana is good medicine...so I self medicate and save money too :D

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Well hiya there :D
I say fuck facebook too.
I am not surprised that these medical cannabis people are being discriminated against though.
Insurance companies deny mmj patients coverage when mmj is their choice of treatment. Employers are still firing people for using marijuana even if they have a legit prescription. MMJ patient have to go to a dispensary, not a pharmacy, and that alone is segregation and discrimination! People receiving government assistance still are targets on how they may or may not continue their assistance if they choose mmj treatment. When mmj is legalized there still problems getting the medicine!
I ask this and I already know the answer....but.....does diabetic people face this kind of discrimination to receive their medicine? Do heart patients? Does anyone who need medication for any illness have to go through the shit mmj patients have to go through to receive their choice of medicine?
No!
It is still going to take a while to re-educate all the people that cannabis is not a bad drug! I am encouraged though. More information is now being provided and I believe over half the USA is legalizing MMJ!
The federal government is the biggest stumbling block. Until they change the classification and schedule that cannabis is under there will always be conflict. I don't understand why the citizens just don't get together and sue the federal government to change the classification. Obviously someone needs to spark fire under their asses...lol
I think the government don't want to change this because really it would be too hard to control. Too many common folks like us could make a living and the greedy government just don't want that to happen.. we are doomed to be slaves to the stupidity of the US government I guess...lol like hell......I'll stick with the black market and stay away from doctors like I have been doing for the last 38 years of my life. :D I don't need a doctor to tell me marijuana is good medicine...so I self medicate and save money too :D
Hey gramma!!!! How are yall doin?
Ya a plant is so horrible but pills and booze are cool... dont forget cigarettes too hahaha

Top Bottom