Fan and Air Filter Inside or outside the tent?

• Thread starter BlueCrabGuy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BlueCrabGuy

Hi Growers,

Looking for advice on placing the Fan and Air Filter (6 inch) inside or outside my 2x4, 72-inch-tall tent? The Fan and Air Filter take up about the top 18 inches of the tent. I am considering putting a 1/4-inch piece of plywood on top of my tent and then putting the fan and air filter on top of the plywood. The advantage would be to free up more space. Will placing the fan and air filter outside have any negative effects on the performance of the fan or air filter?

Thanks!

MidwestCannaman

MidwestCannaman

That's the exact same way I've ran mine for years. Running it outside the tent, you will lose some cfm but at the same time you free up about 18" of extra height which is quite a bit of room. The payoff was an easy choice for me. Good luck bro, keep at it!

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

My tent and fan are the same size as yours. I have my fan on top and it's sitting on a repurposed old wooden shelf. It's the best place for removing hot air from the tent. More importantly, I usually need plenty of vertical space. The only negative effect might be noise, but a six-inch fan won't need to run at high speed for this size of tent. Here's a picture:

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
My tent and fan are the same size as yours. I have my fan on top and it's sitting on a repurposed old wooden shelf. It's the best place for removing hot air from the tent. More importantly, I usually need plenty of vertical space. The only negative effect might be noise, but a six-inch fan won't need to run at high speed for this size of tent. Here's a picture:

View attachment 1979535
I use input air in the summer months and duct air from a cooler part of my house with a 6" fan through the port on top to the bottom of the tent and an exhaust duct pulling air out of the top, with both fans mounted behind my tent where I can access their speed controllers

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I use input air in the summer months and duct air from a cooler part of my house with a 6" fan through the port on top to the bottom of the tent and an exhaust duct pulling air out of the top, with both fans mounted behind my tent where I can access their speed controllers
I often ponder how to improve my airflow. I possibly could use outside air, but doesn't that create the possibility of bringing in pests from the outside?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I often ponder how to improve my airflow. I possibly could use outside air, but doesn't that create the possibility of bringing in pests from the outside?
I use Dollar store vegetable bags over both ends. I'm not bring it in from outside, I've an un heated oil tank room I have access to that is high 60's even when its hot as fk outside and with dehumidifiers and lights in my grow its too warm in here so I vent air in...

B

BudgetGrower

A carbon filter is designed to pull air through the filter, large surface area with a dust cover to extend the filter life.
Pushing air into a filter, there's about half the surface area and no dust cover, this will reduce the airflow and put extra pressure on the fan/ filter .
I would go for a larger filter, for example 5" fan with a 6" filter to balance things out(max airflow), a long straight length of 6" ducting will help to reduce the noise level. Could make a box out of chipboard, pack loads of rock wall around the fan, this can make the fan silent(with the acoustic ducting).

Top Bottom