Fan and filter question?

• Thread starter 707style
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

707style

Is it alright to run cool tubes, and your inline carbon filter on the same line? I want to eventually have maybe 4 400w cool tubes would the heat effect the carbon filter if I put it on the same line with a bigger fan?

D

darookie2000

Are you pulling or pushing with the carbon filter? If you are pulling the air through the filter and pushing it through the cooltube, the air won't be heated, so it won't be a problem. How are you configuring them?

true grit

true grit

Run carbon filter, duct it to cool tube, then run fan on the opposite side of cooltube scrubbing air and bringing it across the light. Then exhaust it out of the tent/room.

707style

Cool thanks alot guys, i didnt know that you could run the filter before the lights, but it makes sense. Will the filter completely cover the smell, as long as im using the right size fan and filter for my set up? Or will it still be noticeable?

D

darookie2000

Cool thanks alot guys, i didnt know that you could run the filter before the lights, but it makes sense. Will the filter completely cover the smell, as long as im using the right size fan and filter for my set up? Or will it still be noticeable?

It scrubs the air for me. I don't notice any smell coming out of the tent. It's basically acting like a standalone scrubber, with the side effect that it keeps the lights cool

R

Rolln J

whatup honda bro?

you want your fan/filter combo to replace the air in your grow area once every 3 minutes to be effective for smell.

so length x width x height = area or air volume to be replaced

find the cfm rating for the fan and times that by 3

some may say its overkill but overkill is good when it comes to smell and keeping your garden cool.

707style

Cool, thanks. My space is 256 sq ft, and im going to be using a 6 inch vortex fan and carbon filter. The fan is rated at 449 cfm, i like a little over kill myself.

true grit

true grit

Agreed with the above statement.... Once every 3 minutes is minimum as far as I'm concerned. I'm cutting it close but have super dense cool fresh air coming in.... Better to go overkill and get a variable speed controller and dial it down. This will also cut down on noise. I have 640cfm 6" with a big carbon filter going through a 1000w MH for veg, ambient temps are 69, temps in tent are at 77 running the fan 1/3 speed. Almost no noise.

O

onlytoken

The smell is usually taken care of, but carbon does produce it's own funky smell (which is noticeable to the grower/Law enforcement)... its aroma is sweet smelling. A way to cure this is to buy a product called OnaGel, or purchase an Ozone Generator. With the OnaGel, you drill holes into the top of the cap on the container, and one can place it inside of their air-conditioner's main return (usually in the living room). This gets rid of any residual buildup of smells within the house. Another way to ensure that the smell is taken care of is to exhaust the smelly air into the attic of your house, rather than back into your closet or whatever.

If you are considering spending a little extra money (since you are planning to run 4x400 watts), you may want to invest in a carbon scrubber setup. This is where you simply place a carbon filter within the room/tent and connect a fan directly to it. You would then buy a separate exhaust fan for the lights, and I would suggest something around a 465 cfm squirrel cage. You can push air into a carbon filter, but ensure that it is rated at 120 fahrenheit and .1 second contact EXHAUSTING (not intake or scrubbing), AT THE CORRECT CFM... i.e. the CAN 33 carbon filter = 200 cfm exhaust, 400 cfm intake/scrubber to ensure the .1 second of contact time.

In short, consider investing in a carbon scrubber if you're thinking of having 4x400 watts... that number of plants alone would require a very well thought out odor control. The exhaust from the lights (which would use a separate exhaust fan) should still run into the attic, that way removing any residual smell from the area and house. The OnaGel takes care of the 10% of smell that does, is, and will remain in the house.

Good luck!

R

Rolln J

Agreed with the above statement.... Once every 3 minutes is minimum as far as I'm concerned. I'm cutting it close but have super dense cool fresh air coming in.... Better to go overkill and get a variable speed controller and dial it down. This will also cut down on noise. I have 640cfm 6" with a big carbon filter going through a 1000w MH for veg, ambient temps are 69, temps in tent are at 77 running the fan 1/3 speed. Almost no noise.

thats a sweet setup! good info re: the controller and stealth. big fans can be noisy, especially when they dont have a can filter on them, like light exhaust fans.

true grit

true grit

Definitely, and I got lucky to find this fan. We'll see how it holds up. Evidentally its the Elicent design utilized by a different German company. It was cheaper than the Can HO 6", and moves almost 200 more CFM. I'll find the name and post it tomorrow, first grow using these fans, so we shall see longevity of performance.

As for the controller if interested, check out Harbor Freight and ask for a router speed control- 15.99-17.99.....I believe it is the same design that Hydrofarm advertises as a fan speed controller.

Latest posts

Top Bottom