Fan Size vs Filter Size

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Hey guys -

was just wondering if anyone knew if you absolutely had to match your fan CFM to your filter's recommended/max CFM. I want to use a fan that pulls half of the filter's max CFM, the idea being a longer laster and better functioning filter.

Just curious if the draw of the fan will be enough to pull through the filter...

M

mrsgreenbuds

I know you can cover half the filter to match it. Once you have used that half switch it around. There's vids on youtube from Phresh saying you can.

ftwendy

ftwendy

x2 /\ ...or so says their promotional information

fwiw blowing air through the filter rather than sucking it through can be another way to handle a lower cfm fan/filter combo while still maintaining the necessary pressure to scrub the funk from your air. If you're going to blow the air instead of sucking it, first be sure to move the dust cover/pre filter from the outside of the canister inside to the core..

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I always like to run lower CFM through carbon filters. It allows the air to move through and make contact with all the carbon instead of being sucked through so fast its not cleansed well. Also I cant remember the company but there is a filter that you flip over and they say will double the life of your filter. MGG

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

awesome - thanks for the replies everyone! Gonna give it a go and see how it works.

qupee

qupee

Fan with lower cfm than filter is usually fine, it just means the air is in contact with the carbon longer as it passes through (up to a point, at low enough cfm I'd imagine little air passes through the end of the filter and unevenly uses the carbon, though that's only an issue for longevity).

It also should be mentioned that filters have a different cfm rating for one-pass exhausting use and for recirculating use. The recirculating cfm is higher, often twice the cfm. Not all brands provide both ratings and don't always make it clear which rating they give.

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

No need to match the cfm's
They say get as close as you can
You should be able to figure out a combo to pull that 50% you want

sensicloud

sensicloud

You can also take your filter outside and hose it down real good when it stops working as well and it will reacitvate the charcoal and be good as new.

Can't believe I've never heard this before. Awesome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom