Fan speed control and noise reduction

• Thread starter GDP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GDP

Hey, does any1 know of a shop in the uk where u can get a cheapish extractor fan speed controller or some sort of DIY noise reduction? running low on funds.

D.I.Y

D.I.Y

How about a dimmer light switch,just connect it up between power supply and vent.have done this for several years with no problem,just turn dimmer switch to turn it up or down

L

l33t

for 40 quid you can get the WAC1 fan speed controller (search online for a shop) , its a 5-step down , transformer based , so the best type of controller and you can run up to a 70watt fan (ie a 6'' RVK)

On half speed , the noise will reduce a lot and its a good investment imho

PS Some dimmer switches may cause the fan to get on fire so if you intent to buy a cheap one ask around on different canna forums to make sure its a proper one

G

GDP

thanks 4 the help guy's, ive got a rvk 150 a1 and at the speed it runs it's a bit to loud than i need it to be, will it make a reasonable difference in noise using a controller to slow it down?

B

boxmunch9

try a duct muffler if you have the money or wrap the fans in moving blankets or accoustic blankets you can find them on-line for about 18bucks apiece, they really work great, i staple them on the walls as well. I tried using a fan dimmer but it can bring a whole new noise outta your fan. Im not a fan of dimmers

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
These work well for controlling fan speed if you want to go that way GDP. Dunno if they ship to the UK.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

IME tho, I've found that slowing the fan down doesn't necessarily cut down on the noise as much as one would think. As boxmunch said it can introduce a humming noise that wasn't there before. I had some water heater insulation laying about which works very well when used to wrap the duct work. It is a 2"layer of fiberglass insulation with a sheet of heavy white plastic sheeting bonded to one side. just cut it to fit, wrap around the duct work and fan a tape it up. Really does the trick.

L

l33t

thanks 4 the help guy's, ive got a rvk 150 a1 and at the speed it runs it's a bit to loud than i need it to be, will it make a reasonable difference in noise using a controller to slow it down?

Yes there will be a reasonable difference .Actually I found it to be a big difference and I got same RVK fan , the 150 A1 (6'').

Another option or addition, Use acousting ducting and also you can wrap the fans in blankets as advised earlier.It works wonders.

''but it can bring a whole new noise outta your fan.''

''As boxmunch said it can introduce a humming noise that wasn't there before.''

The humming noise thats introduced is cause you are not using the right type of controller....

A transformer based controller (like the Expelair WAC1) I suggested before , will not introduce any humming noise... and is safe (and right 'size') to use with the RVK 150 A1.

G

GDP

thanks l33t, how easy is it to wire? i don't want to have to pull the fan apart, i don't have a clue about electronics, also does it come with everything u need? do u know a shop/site i can get one from? thanks

L

l33t

Here you go , had made a thread about the wiring some time ago should explain all you need ;)

Its very easy to wire.All you need to buy is some wire and 20mm plastic cable glands from wilkinson's or similar (5 quid extra max) I cant really remember where I got the fan from , it was an electronics online shop i think , do a search online

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=113171&hl=

G

GDP

Thanks l33t, has any1 tried a fan silencer? im thinking of getting one as a alternative, i want to know if they actually make a significant diff.

B

boxmunch9

do you mean a duct muffler? a metal piece of ducting thats has a layer of accoustic form in it? if so, then they work great, pony that up with wrapping the fan. I obsessed about my fan noise for months and months, but you soon realize theres no way to get rid of all the noise but go crazy with insulating it and you will get close

G

GDP

thanks bro, i think it's a duct muffler, it's a straight bit of metal ducting, it's about 60 quid. What the best thing to wrap the fan with? i thought it would get hot or break it. how much does the muffler reduce noise? about 50%? thanks

L

l33t

You could use a non-flammable blanket of some sort or other nonflammable material inside a box where you can put the fan in. The more mass the better.

A silencer is not the same as acoustic ducting.
Acoustic ducting is just ducting that has an extra outer layer of an sort soundproof material , never used such ducting tho.

A silencer is different its an attachment that you connect to your fan its / works like a gun-silencer .
It has to be right next to the fan n for best results you need 2 of em one before n one after the fan . I ve never used a silencer tho either .

B

BuddKlott

I made an mdf box with my fan wrapped in loft insulation, inside and control that with a cheap plug dimmer - works great except for the metre and a half of unstealth like ducting - :surprised i'll sort that out for my next grow, and theres a slight buzzing from the fan when the dimmer is turned low but its all good :rock

http://www.invalid.com/gxG76qJ.jpg

http://www.invalid.com/Pq1sOR8r.jpg

B

boxmunch9

they say duct mufflers are suppose to be put at least 3ft from the fan if your trying to muffle the air noise going out your window. I have a 14inch mountain-air standing on the floor with a 12inch vortex on top of it fitted with an elbow going straight into the ductmuffler , it works great for the sound from the fan inside your room but the air being blown outside is still a little loud. my other room the muffler is 6 ft away from the fan and its silent outside but a little more noise on the fan which i took care of with accoustic blankets wrapped around insulated ducting. depends which area you want quite but they're worth the dough

G

GDP

thanks guy's, budklott thats exactly the dimmer ive been lookin for! one that doesn't have to be wired, that can just be plugged in! ive looked on the homebase & B&Q websites and i can't find 1, where did u get yours from? thanks

B

BuddKlott

got the plug dimmer from my local small electrics shop, do everything from hoover repairs to disco lights! - but you could probably get them from maplins - or their on ebay for under a tenner - search for plug dimmer paid 7.50 for mine (my keyboards fekked so i got no pound sign):sad0071:

but anyways their good except for a small buzzing at lower speeds but its good for my tent as having it on full speed is'nt needed and i think that the slower the air from inside goes throughtht filter the more smell is removed? but i may be wrong:hi:

B

Boywonder

Go on ebay and search smscom, its for 1 fan. They looked ok to me, 70 quid.

Top Bottom