Fast Dry Soil Mix... What Should I Mix?

• Thread starter artcore
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

artcore

I've been using Canna Terra Pro Plus soil, mainly because it is a soil dries faster than all brands I have tested, now I've changed my way of growing and and I can not continue paying absurd amounts for canna soil, I'm pretty sure that the money I spent on 100L would do 300L of a much better mix.

My intention is not to have a super soil or tlo, I do not have conditions for cook it, already try it and had a serious problem of fungus gnat, just need a mix that dries in 3 or 4 days (as canna).

I hate perlite because it floats, have tested biobizz soil with 30% extra perlite and made no difference in the time it took to dry.

For the base of the mix I will use cheap soil from the gardening center, what features should I look for fast dry?... I need light soil because my clones will almost directly to flowering.

G gnome

G gnome

It aint cheap but u could add grow stones to ur mix to help it dry fast

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yup, peat and coir make a great base for a quick-draining soil.

A

artcore

canna terra have a lot of peat but from what I saw it seems there are several types of peat, black blonde, red... today went to the nearest garden center and brought 10L of substrate and 5L of peat, same brand (spanish), I watered a liter of substrate with distilled water and run off was 300ppm pH 6.6, then I went to do the same with the peat and had a surprise, smell of manure with the peat... run off 350ppm pH 6.5... terrible drainage, both are completely black, mixed 50%/50% and with a remainder of perlite and transplanted 3 plants that have some ph lockout problems and I will use them for some tests.

The garden center has blonde peat bags but the bag says "ensures acidic pH of soil", also have very cheap volcanic stone that can be a good option and crushed oyster shell.

juiceyjay

juiceyjay

If u want good drainage with minimal cost just add the hydro balls. They are costly to buy at first but you can reuse them

A

artcore

The last transplants I did mixed hydro balls but only because I did not had enough soil for all transplants. The blonde peat is perfect for what I want and quite cheap (250L 15€) but I'm not sure which one to buy, I have two options for the same price:

. baltic blonde peat without nuts pH 3.0/4.0
. baltic blonde peat with nuts ph 5.5/6.5

I think peat without nuts would be the most suitable but the pH is too low... could I treat/rinse blonde peat as if it were coco?!(flush with water 6.5)... mix something with high pH to balance is not an option because I have no time or conditions for cooking soil.

At the moment I paid 18 euros per 50L (canna), if I do not save at least 6/8€ per 50 liters will not be worth the work I'll have to mix all products.

In the coming days will test a substrate that the description seems to be what I'm looking for, 12 euros per 70L with free transport, it is a new brand in my country and the producer himself sells online, is the same site selling the blonde peat and the base of the substrate is peat, I have 2 options:

. 1 Profiline PL 70WF 30BF Germination 70L- Description - The Profiline germination substrate was prepared on the basis of the best raw materials, including Nordic and Baltic peat selected in order to allow re-create the natural and ideal conditions to ensure the success of seed germination. The combination of these elements aims at ensuring an ideal substrate structure and optimal density.

• Moisture ................................................ ......................... 60%
• Nitrogen (N) ............................................. ................. 100-150 mg / l
• Phosphorus (P2O5) ............................................. ........ 100-150 mg / l
• Potassium (K2O) ............................................. ......... 20 - 170 mg / l
• PH ................................................ .................................. 6/7
• Electrical conductivity ................................. 1.1 mS / cm (+/- 0.3)
Characteristics
- Clean material;
- Does not contain seeds;
- Free of phytopathogenic;
- Does not contain toxic waste;
- Pesticide-free.
-Tripla Action: (water control, nutrients and growth)

. 2 Profiline PL 100WF Rooting 70L - Description - The Profiline Rooting substrate is designed to stimulate root development. The structure remains unchanged throughout the rooting period by favoring the growth of healthy and robust roots essential premise for obtaining a healthy and vigorous growth vegetative development.

• Nitrogen (N) ............................................. ................ 150-180 mg / l
• Phosphorus (P2O5) ............................................. ........ 180-220 mg / l
• Potassium (K2O) ............................................. ......... 160 - 210 mg / l
• PH ................................................ ............................ 6/7
• Several Micronutrients
• Electrical conductivity ......................................... 1.2ms / cm (+ /-0.3)

Characteristics
It contains natural enzymes that facilitate root development and materials
inert draining.
Encourages rooting.
-Favorece Growth.
-Ideal For cuttings, seeds
-No Contains seeds;
-No Phytopathogenic;
-No Contains toxic waste;
-No Pesticide.

This week I will order the first option seems to be a good base to start, the second also seems to be good but from 7 types of substrate on the site is the only one not marked as organic.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think peat without nuts would be the most suitable but the pH is too low... could I treat/rinse blonde peat as if it were coco?!(flush with water 6.5)... mix something with high pH to balance is not an option because I have no time or conditions for cooking soil.
You can add anything with a carbonate molecule to help neutralize acidity. Most common gardening forms are oyster shell flour and dolomite lime.

Top Bottom