Fast Veg=lower Yield

• Thread starter brd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brd

brd

Here's the story. I'm in DWC I veg to about 16" under t5s then move under 1000 watt Hortilux super Blues till they reach 42" then flip. I run lights 24hrs in veg. I have 10 to 12 girls under 4000 watts. I run a perpetual so some are shorter some are taller they do not seem over crowded. My rooms are more dialed than ever before my root health is better than ever. They are eating more than ever before. With most strains I can go from 16" to 42" in any where from 18 days to as many as 30 days. This is much faster than in the past. I am also seeing more space between nodes than in the past. The worst part is my yields are down significantly I used to average 16oz per plant with the occasional hitting the mid to high 20s. Now I'm happy to hit 16 and I haven't seen a 20 in half a year. But the overall health is better. I have two identical flower rooms 9'X24' 12' ceilings with 10 1000 watt HPS in both room and 12 girls in each room. I harvest 2 to 3 per week. I switched from Zone to Benies about a year ago. Not sure if that's why the health is better and the faster veg , the roots are much larger and healthier than when I ran Zone. I'm also wondering if I introduced a dark period in veg if the nodes would tighten up.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Im a true believer in having a dark period in veg. they need to have some down time, and that also would account for some stretch.
Also depending on how long you been growing the same strain out, maybe time for new seedlings?
Keep a record of time on your lights also, they do lose power after a bit.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Here's the story. I'm in DWC I veg to about 16" under t5s then move under 1000 watt Hortilux super Blues till they reach 42" then flip. I run lights 24hrs in veg. I have 10 to 12 girls under 4000 watts. I run a perpetual so some are shorter some are taller they do not seem over crowded. My rooms are more dialed than ever before my root health is better than ever. They are eating more than ever before. With most strains I can go from 16" to 42" in any where from 18 days to as many as 30 days. This is much faster than in the past. I am also seeing more space between nodes than in the past. The worst part is my yields are down significantly I used to average 16oz per plant with the occasional hitting the mid to high 20s. Now I'm happy to hit 16 and I haven't seen a 20 in half a year. But the overall health is better. I have two identical flower rooms 9'X24' 12' ceilings with 10 1000 watt HPS in both room and 12 girls in each room. I harvest 2 to 3 per week. I switched from Zone to Benies about a year ago. Not sure if that's why the health is better and the faster veg , the roots are much larger and healthier than when I ran Zone. I'm also wondering if I introduced a dark period in veg if the nodes would tighten up.
Did you change your pot size?

How are you watering?

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Also, do you have temperature control? You might be getting a lower yield with the colder weather and comparing it to your yields in say, Summer.

D

donsogman

Imo 1k mh 24 hrs a day in a air cooled reflector to get the light as close as possible. Always end up with short bushy sexy ladies. Certain strains may stretch a little more than others

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Something else is going on, but without knowing what changes have occurred since the yields have gone down doesn't make diagnosis very easy.

D

donsogman

You should change your growing method immediately. 4000W is too much power. You need to consider that. And one more thing, plants are not a machine. You really don't need to always turn your lights on.

4000 W is not too much power at all. 4000 W is not too much power at all some people feel 18 on six off is better, but just as many people feel 24 on is the way to go. The only thing I'm curious about with that much space why are you only running that many plants. It is much more plants The only thing I'm curious about with that much space why are you only running that many plants. It is much more cost productive to grow more plants that are shorter and topped multiple times. When I was growing organic soil I grow 16 plants per ik hps. I grew in 5 gallon containers that were squared and 1 foot by 1 foot so 16 fit nicely in 16 foot squared with each light over the 16. I would strip the lower 12to 14 inches of plant of all nodes leaves so just bare stem. Some light string around each plant to support the col some light string around each plant to support the Weight of the colas. I stripped the bottom portion of each plant so that way it would produce all energy to the top so I would have no lowers or unwanted niblets. Of course I would have about eight colas per plant because I top my ladies about three times. And each color over but not too far were it would snap that way the light gets more coverage on the cola also growing a shorter plant allows the and each color over but not too far were it would snap that way the light gets more coverage on the cola also light to penetrate lower. Okay I'm blabibg now. Were you using CO2 in the past and you're not now? That could definitely cause your plants to be under I don't know what kind of medium you're using but if you're using soil from ladt op. A were you using CO2 in the past and you're not now? That could definitely cause your plants to be under I don't know what kind of medium you're using but if you're using soil re u growing from seed or clone? If you can give me a little bit more detail about anything that has changed from previous ops I'm sure I can pin it down for you temperature alone can cause the problem you are having

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've removed the posts that had nothing to do with the problem at hand. I've been out of town for the past week, how are the plants looking?

pugliese63

pugliese63

If you're veg nutrients have some ammonia based nitrogen this can contribute to stretching. High intensity light plus a little heat will convert ammonia based nitrogen to amino acids which will cause large internode spacing, aka stretching. Watch the temps and use nitrate base nutes. Cal nitrate one of the best.
Hope this might be helpful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom