favorite heirloom tomatoes

• Thread starter Space Cab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

I started out years ago as an amateur tomato breeder. I crossed my grandfather's Mortgage Lifter with a Tula Black from Russia, and that was my best.

Japanese black Trufele are nice. Anything hillbilly is tasty. Seed Savers Exchange is the way to go.

G

gooey

right on dr detorit thats cool as fuck you used your g pas genetics and created something new...i like green zebra, cherokee purple, some tohers as well, seed savers is awsome also, peace

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

Pretty much can't go wrong with any Heirloom varieties,really depends on what kind of tomatoes you prefer,I like to grow a nice variety every year and like ones w/ alot of color and not the typical red tomatoes.Grew some Copia last year that I really liked as well as some Black Prince and Black Krim.Grew the Black cherry tomatoes as well which grew enormous and put out more than I could manage to consume! Nothing like homegrown tomatoes tho!!

green punk

green punk

By no means an heirloom. Try some Sungolds. They're an amazing cherry variety.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
right on dr detorit thats cool as fuck you used your g pas genetics and created something new...i like green zebra, cherokee purple, some tohers as well, seed savers is awsome also, peace
i have a cherokee purple in my garden now... cant wait to see them..this is my first heirloom tomatoe plant

2DogWalker

Awww yeah got my greenhouse today and there's no room for meds only eats in this one :).....got a mad lineup of heirlooms the black krim have done well for me in containers and flavor was great I struggled w the Japanese trifele but that was a soil problem...I really like hillbillies and a good brandywine or pineapple is great....some Amish paste for the romas....stop the gmo and work a little harder to keep your fruits and veggies healthy!! :) *head down kicking rocks as I know I cheat sometimes*

Glad to see all this knowledge being used to produce food the only thing I like more than herb :)...

2dw

dirk d

dirk d

sounds good guys, just ordered some black krim tomatoe seeds from the same guy that won 1st place in napa valley.

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

If you are going to venture into heirloom tomatoes then you should absolutely add a Brandywine to your list. It's the best flavored and balanced tomato I've had. They are big slicing tomatoes and grow on big gangly vines. A great paste or Roma type is the old Amish Paste variety. They are very meaty with few seeds and are perfect for any sauce or canning. I usually try a new variety each year but those two varieties are always in the garden, be it indoors or out. Try out several and see what grows well in your garden, others have already made some great suggestions.

Top Bottom