Favorite way to fight mold?

• Thread starter MadBuddhaAbuser
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MadBuddhaAbuser

so its been the rainiest year ever and im starting to catch some minor mold on one or two seed sacks, whereas normally i never have any. i did all the good clear out some airflow and standard stuff like that, i was wondering if anyones got any spray type solution to fight mold. ive read/heard about 5% bleach solutions, baking soda spray, and some thing my friend used for roses or something. just wondering what you like best. I dont want to have to go out everyday and pick through for moldy spots, as this wont be practical when the buds are getting bigger.

peace

E

ehole

i've heard people hear saying spraying milk works... never tried it myself and i'm skeptical but i know i've read it a few times. if you're inside and not too deep into flowering i know burning sulphur works like a champ

M

MadBuddhaAbuser

its outdoors which is the problem, inside would be much easier to control

thanks though

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
Spraying milk dilluted with water will help kill mold and stop it from spreading to other plants... but I usually only do that when bringing new plants(clones) into my garden as a preventative measure. Einstein Oil works well in preventing powdery mildew as it coats the leaves and also protects against spider mites.

M

MadBuddhaAbuser

lots of people mentioning this milk thing, i wonder why milk would combat mold. i should mention these ARE flowering already just to be clear. man i hate rain.

N

North

works like a charm! it'll burn some pistils but other than that...stops molds like nothing else I've tried.

the milk idea sounds interesting, I've been reading a bit about it...havent tried it yet.

really molds are all about PH and humidity, you may not be able to change the humidity(rain,dew) but you can alter PH.

K

KhizrKhizr

I always top plants outdoors, hoping that multiple smaller buds will result in less mold. I think in some areas (such as mine unfortunately) mold is always an issue, and a grower has to always keep an eye out for it no matter what.

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
works like a charm! it'll burn some pistils but other than that...stops molds like nothing else I've tried.

the milk idea sounds interesting, I've been reading a bit about it...havent tried it yet.

really molds are all about PH and humidity, you may not be able to change the humidity(rain,dew) but you can alter PH.

Unfortunately budrot is always an issue around these parts too. :sad0123:

Looks like the active ingredient in Greencure is potassium bicarbonate. I wonder how much different that is from sodium bicarbonate??? Both of them most likely control the mold by raising the ph out of the optimum range for its growth. Silica would also be a help here as the ph is relatively high. Someone here mentioned they use silica as a foliar spray right up through flowering. I'm thinkin I'll try a mild baking soda mix/ silica if, or should I say, when, the rot rears its ugly head. Anyone have a mix rate to start with?
Something about spraying milk on the plants just doesn't sit right with me. Thoughts of it souring on the plant in the midday sun is too much for me to get my head around. :doh

F

fuzzy

Yep thats what sucks about growing big colas,especially where i live.Humidity 90% most of the year.Good find North! peace,fuzzy

L

Liberty_Seed

does lemon juice in a spray bottle work getting rid of mold? or would it harm the bud?

edit never mind iam seeing some use grain alcolhol, baking soda & greencure

Z

zoeronerer

bio soy works best for me can even spray it on dry'n buds if called for.....100% organic kills powdery downey etc etc use it it rules.......or make yer own 40% soy oil the rest water but i believe there are other ingridents not listed......try it u will be happy its cheap!

M

MadBuddhaAbuser

Something about spraying milk on the plants just doesn't sit right with me. Thoughts of it souring on the plant in the midday sun is too much for me to get my head around.

yeah i thought a little about that, but most people call for a 1 to 9 ratio of milk and water, so its pretty dilluted. someone i know was thinking of using a 5% bleach solution to kill it, but i dont think id want to smoke any of that, milk is much less shitty for lack of a better word right now.

and on your baking soda point, i've also read that from various gardening sources, i forget the mixture they call for but ill look it up for ya.

:smiley_joint:

BlackBart

BlackBart

I have been using baking soda on my plants for years and it works fairly well. If you get endless days of rain, I don't believe anything will work .

1 Table spoon of BS to

1 Gallon of water

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah man...thanks Black Bart. Gonna keep it in mind for sure.:damnhippie:

T

the man with no

im using liquid silica this grow to combat mould , well its worth a try , and before i get the ohh why smoke that etc,,, its the one by growth technology its used in commercial crops so should be ok to inhale... ill let you know how i get on with this, but by then itll probably be late October...

G

gulf island

i think spraying anything at this point is not good,once you got bud rot it only will get worse as the season gets worse,and as your buds get bigger,the thing to keeping powdery mildew and bud rot away is prevention,first start with a plant that is more likley not to rot or that is not suseptable to powdery mildew and rot,second i prepare my plants all season long to get ready for the season that powdery just loves,from the time there cuttings untell they are about a week into bud i foliar spray neem oil and a wetting agent on them once every second week and a spray with just water in between,my plants might have a little bit of powdery at harvest but nothing compared to if i didnt do this procedure,another thing that growers here on the island like doing is planting in trees up off the wet ground were the morning dew is every day,lots of air flow and no pesty thieves or deer

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Use one fresh ground lemon peel or 1 tbls lemon juice per quart of water. Has worked great for me!!!!!!

M

Mox

I use the serenade bacterial concoction (in the purple spray bottle). It seems to work well. Milk is also a live culture and maybe they work similarly? Maybe I will try milk the next time.. it would certainly be cheaper :)

I

italcorner

Milk is good against Mildew and greencure indeed for mould.
Depends also where the mould is located. Some just burn the spot with mould, if on a branch, and spray some anti botrytis agent (can be found at any local gardening store.)
Growing in a badly ventilated greenhouse is just asking for problems and that is what I am doing. Already found 2 spots where mould was forming but I just applied a different solution altogether: cutting the problematic spot ;)

leadplant

leadplant

I trying out a product called Remedy.
Its 85% potassium bicarbonate just like
Greencure. My research says that this stuff
works but can burn if not mixed EXACTLY at
3/4 TBSP per gallon water.

So far, so good. After 3 weeks of no rain, the autumn
rains have started, sortof. There were a few spots of mold starting to break out.
I sprayed the plants down after the storm. I wonder if the wet foliage dilutes the spray
concentration making it less effective.

It might be better to spray either before a coming storm or at about 2-3 weeks
before harvest during dry weather as a preventitive measure. A repeat application might be needed after a storm or some spot treatment here and there. First time using it for me so I dont speak from experience but its how famed outdoor grower Silverback (R.I.P) recommended it.

Top Bottom