Favorite way to fight mold?

• Thread starter MadBuddhaAbuser
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Panthercham

I don't like the idea of spraying anything on my buds. Mold outdoors is more than likely started by a piece of rotting plant material and/or insect wounds/feces. The key to no mold is to keep'em banging. The problem outdoors is it only takes one dead leaf or calyx to start mold in a bud. You have to keep'em green and growing. Minor ph or nutrient problems that cause yelowing/necrotic spots can cost you dearly outdoors. If it's a ph or nutrient problem, remove all the damaged leaves and correct problem. If it's insects probably caterpillars and their feces, use diatamaceous earth around plant base and as long as buds aren't too far along spray w/ neem oil.

I

italcorner

Problem with spraying is that the buds act like sponges... Thay don't have no protective skins like tomatoes for example...

I

ignitetop

the mold

I feel that zero tolerance worked extremely well with killing off the mold I had here and the humidity has just been awful lately. It just keeps me inspecting them all the time. The zero tolerance may have killed some of the leaves but i do notice a difference. It is less spotty. Its worth it to kill it just to not lose your harvest especially if it is small.

T

the man with no

Use one fresh ground lemon peel or 1 tbls lemon juice per quart of water. Has worked great for me!!!!!!

does this actually work? ive tried this... yep , got a small brown patch on the stem ... i dont muck around i cut the thing off... rather loose alittle than the whole plant - then sprayed with diluted lemon juice... im guessing the acid kills the spores?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

i've never had mold as i grow indoors in a micro-SOG but i have
gotten clones infected with powdery mildew, also a fungi, and,
in my research i came across the milk idea and decided to try
it.

it's been nearly 3 months since i began and i have to say i was,
and am impressed, the milk kills the pm instantly, unfortunately,
it doesn't eradicate the pm so you need to reapply the milk about
once a week.

here are a couple of articles i found that may be as helpful
to you as they were to me in deciding to give it a try.

Milk is a useful fungicide in the garden, and is more effective than standard chemical brands.

Researchers believe the potassium phosphate in milk boosts a plant's immune system to fight the fungi.

Where most organic gardeners use a baking soda, soap and oil solution, milk may be substituted to combat the unwanted fungus.

Preparing a Milk Solution and Spraying Schedule

The correct dilution and spraying schedule for garden plants depends on the situation and takes some trial and error.

A milk fungicide solution can range from 1 part milk to 9 parts water, to a strong, milk-only solution. A 1:1 dilution may work for a week, but a 1:8 solution requires spraying every 3 or 4 days.

Skim milk may work better than whole milk, as the higher fat milk may clog a sprayer; even reconstituted powdered milk works.

Uses for Milk Fungicide

Milk was originally used in the garden to treat powdery mildew on squash plants. It is now also commonly used on flowers such as rudebekia (Black-eyed Susans) and Begonias to cure powdery mildew.

Milk has also been used to cure Botrytis on a Cyclamen houseplant. This was applied full strength every morning (leftover breakfast milk). Rotten leaves were picked away and the plant pulled through with no more Botrytis.

Black spots and rust on roses can be controlled but not cured with milk. Fortunately, milk can prevent the spread of these fungi to other plants and new leaves. This can be very useful when bringing home a plant from the nursery and finding a black spot.

The copyright of the article Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in Organic Gardening is owned by Deborah Turton. Permission to republish Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Arzeena Hamir
Powdery Mildew

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca Fuliginea. It is a serious disease that occurs worldwide. For decades, organic gardeners had to rely on making a spray from baking soda to control the disease. Now, instead of measuring out the baking soda and combining it with a surfactant (a "sticking" substance) of either oil or soap, gardeners need only head for their refrigerators.

In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on the plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innoccuous fungus began to grow on the plants. How does milk control powdery mildew?

Scientist aren't 100% sure how milk works to control this disease. It seems that milk is a natural germicide. In addition, it contains several naturally occurring salts and amino acids that are taken up by the plant. From previous experiments using sodium bicarbonate, potassium phosphate, and other salts, researchers have found that the disease is sensitive to these salts. It is possible then, that milk boosts the plant's immune system to prevent the disease.

Milk used around the world
The benefits of using milk to control powdery mildew haven't been isolated to Brazil. Melon growers in New Zealand are saving thousands of dollars every year by spraying their crops with milk instead of synthetic fungicides. The melon growers in New Zealand have been so successful that the wine industry is taking notice and beginning experiments using milk to control powdery mildew in grapes.

What kind of milk should be used?
In Bettiol's original experiment, fresh milk was used, straight from the cow. However, this is obviously not feasible to most home gardeners. The research work in New Zealand actually found that using skim milk was just as effective. Not only was it cheaper, but the fact that the milk had no fat content meant that there was less chance of any odours.

Wagner Bettiol's original article was published in the journal Crop Science (Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 489-92).

T

the man with no

do u mist or totally drench the plant when spraying?

Blaze

Blaze

If you can find it, Oxidate does wonders - it kills the mold better than anything I have ever seen. It evaporates away cleanly, leaves behind no tracers, and can be applied right up till harvest if you have to. It is also not photo-reactive so it can be applied during the middle of the day if need be. It does stink like hell, so If I do have to use it right before harvest I try to do it a few days before the plant comes in order for it to air out a bit. It can also be used just for spot application, which is primarily how I use it.

K

knoxvillain1

In an outdoor situation what i like to do is settle my plants in a spot accessible to rain yet still blocked from the brunt of bad weather (like under green apple trees) i also take steps to keep critters like aphids snails mites and caterpillars away with 2 broths tried and true the nettle broth and wormwood broth for the nettle broth youll want to pick the nettles right before flowering enough to fill a bucket then add rain water to the brim let it sit for 24 hours then decant the broth and spray it onto the plant this is if you notice aphids moving in it helps also against other soft skinned bugs. the wormwood youll need to boil a good amount of water and pore it over about 30 grams of dried wormwood and let it steep then screen it when its cooled down dilute it with about 3 times as much water as you used to pour over the woomword and spray. both methods you mist dont drench when you spray. this will help with insects that carry bacteria and whatnot which causes certain kind of mold in alot of wet areas. another benefit to the roof idea (a tree roof of some sort i like young apple trees and dogwoods) is that the roof protects from heavy rainfalls and keeps alot of your resin glands from washing away from the buds.(i read that part in a magazine seems plausible) the bad part of this roof system is its useless to ppl that have already planted and it will offer a lower yield because of the slight decrease in sunlight but if your in a super rainy area its the way to go. the sunlight thing wont hurt potency tho as far as i can tell anyways.

Top Bottom