FBI Running Server Farm to Support 'Hacking Victims'

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Hundreds of thousands of computers were infected with a sophisticated and malicious attack to redirect their internet traffic through these cyber criminls' servers, in order to sell extra advertising and possibly run other scams related to identity theft. When the FBI took them down, the FBI actually put up their own version of this VPN (virtual private network) in order to continue to provide access to these users, most of whom have no idea how their comaputers have been affected! Users appear to be mostly end users, and are scattered worldwide including the US, Europe- including Spain- and elsewhere.

The FBI says it did this as public service- no doubt snooping some users' traffic, 'just in case'- and they claim they're the 'white hats' for doing this. What I wonder is, how will we know, or have any ability to stop them if they decide to do it on the black side?

Link to news article:
Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

Illmind

Illmind

Fuciin hate technology as much as i love it. Funny 5 years ago i used to use no cells n linux pc n ppl like why u dont have a cell? I said cuz its just another way to spy on ppl and chicks n dudes alike would look at me like im insane.. Still dont use cells. U know they have keyword scanners with a dictionary of words to search through and pull up info when found like "drugs", "cannabis" just for example. Ignorance is so bliss that statement just gets truer n truer as i age. Next theyll strike a deal with panasonic so they can have camera access to peoples living rooms n bedrooms. Its absurd. And we all know they use this info secretly and write it off as a confidential informant so they dont reveal their source dirty muh fuckaz

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Next theyll strike a deal with panasonic so they can have camera access to peoples living rooms n bedrooms. Its absurd. And we all know they use this info secretly and write it off as a confidential informant so they dont reveal their source dirty muh fuckaz

Already in play.

Reports from 2010ish showed a load of folks breaking open their comcast cable boxes and finding cameras and mics. Apparently they only pick up body types and voice tones to know who they are advertising to (male/female + adult/child), in order to direct the ads in a personal way. Apparently Google admitted they employ this tech as well, gathering ambient noise from internal pc mic in order to "better direct the advertising experience".

ttystikk

ttystikk

Already in play.

Reports from 2010ish showed a load of folks breaking open their comcast cable boxes and finding cameras and mics. Apparently they only pick up body types and voice tones to know who they are advertising to (male/female + adult/child), in order to direct the ads in a personal way. Apparently Google admitted they employ this tech as well, gathering ambient noise from internal pc mic in order to "better direct the advertising experience".

This is why I only buy a webcam with a physical shutter, and a mic I can unplug. And I shut my computer OFF when I'm not using it. These are no longer 'paranoid' tactics; they're now necessary to maintain at least a shred of privacy...

As for my cell, I got Android specifically so I could turn off the GPS and location tagging, both on the phone and for pictures. The problem is that I don't trust the software not to have a backdoor built into it for the spooks- and for private dicks. Speaking of, when word got out that smartphones had these services and they had to be actively shut off- default was 'on'- many private detectives went on record, complaining that 'their' favorite means for tracking people had been publicized! Screw 'em!

ttystikk

ttystikk

You are being market researched

This is true every time we use a search negine, or do any of another zillion things in our daily lives, online or off. I'm not so concerned about that- what bothers me is that these tactics are quickly picked up by law enforcement and put to their use, without anyone asking the obvious questions about whether they're breaking any statutes or crossing any boundaries of civil and/or constitutional rights. They'll just do it until A. they get caught at it, and B. dragged kicking and screaming (but we have a 'right' to spy on people we 'think' 'might' be criminals!) through the court system and FORCED to cease and desist. Cold comfort, that...

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
what bothers me is that these tactics are quickly picked up by law enforcement and put to their use, without anyone asking the obvious questions about whether they're breaking any statutes or crossing any boundaries of civil and/or constitutional rights. They'll just do it until A. they get caught at it, and B. dragged kicking and screaming (but we have a 'right' to spy on people we 'think' 'might' be criminals!) through the court system and FORCED to cease and desist. Cold comfort, that...

I agree, I think the point is to make it so commonplace to the coming generations they never have an inkling there is something gravely wrong with the situation.

And anyway, to me LEO subpoenas against this information still just seem like market research when a country's prison industry is overwhelmingly privately run for a major profit.

Illmind

Illmind

No need for me to google anything im aware. What im talking about is tv companys selling surveillance footage of say illegal activities it picked up to authorities cell phone companies already do this. Ive been told some police stations have gone as far as to buy there own cell tracking and monitoring equip to save them money in thr long run they use it so much.. Not much to do woth smart appliances. Turning gps and even turning phone off is useless. Phone companies can still find em. Guy threw bis phone out without battery and they still found it in the brush. Just happened after a bank robbery out here. They even divulged info of where he turned it off and removed battery. So turning gps off imo simply turn off locational devices and keeps your locale a secret when posting on sites like facebook and aim n what not.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

This is why I only buy a webcam with a physical shutter, and a mic I can unplug. And I shut my computer OFF when I'm not using it. These are no longer 'paranoid' tactics; they're now necessary to maintain at least a shred of privacy...

As for my cell, I got Android specifically so I could turn off the GPS and location tagging, both on the phone and for pictures. The problem is that I don't trust the software not to have a backdoor built into it for the spooks- and for private dicks. Speaking of, when word got out that smartphones had these services and they had to be actively shut off- default was 'on'- many private detectives went on record, complaining that 'their' favorite means for tracking people had been publicized! Screw 'em!
There are apps out there to protect your privacy on android, you should use Afirewall to allow or disallow certain things from dialing home, also location cache viewer, masqued crusader, and others.

urbanite420

urbanite420

By now everyone should know that they are being actively monitored by either the FBI or NSA. Cell phone tracking has been used extensively by the FBI and local law enforcement using towers. As your cell phone passes by a tower that "ping" is recorded and can be used to map your location and daily travels and business. In a related matter, even though the Supreme Court ruled in U.S. v. Jones that the government violated the Fourth Amendment when it attached a GPS device to Antoine Jones's car and tracked his movements continuously for a month without a warrant the FBI still does so secretly. The FBI even has a device called the Stingray which tracks cell phone GPS signals even when it is not in use. The CISPA — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act effectively allows the NSA to gain access to our personal information without a warrant, without oversight, and without limits. This gives ISPs like Verizon immunity when they give the feds your private info. We have already seen legislation, such as FISA, which grants impunity to warrantless wiretapping and email snooping.

You have been warned.

L

laurenscott

Actually not just FBI but alsoLADP, have used the allegedly terror investigation only StingRay technology and spied upon non-suspects. They are spying on the cellphone conversations of naive bystanders. Evidently tech to monitor terror suspects, StingRay has been used quite differently. Read more about the article at: StingRay

Top Bottom