Feds seize bank accounts of 2 Sacramento-area medical marijuana dispensaries

• Thread starter urbanfog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
urbanfog

urbanfog

Federal authorities have seized nearly $250,000 from the accounts of two Sacramento area dispensaries in a probe into alleged concealment of medical marijuana proceeds.

U.S. Magistrate Gregory G. Hollows approved two warrants Sept. 22, allowing authorities to seize business checking accounts from operators of the One Love Wellness Center dispensary in Sacramento and Mary Jane's Wellness in Gold River.
The warrants, sought by a U.S. Treasury Department criminal task force, alleged the two dispensaries may have violated U.S. financial laws through irregular banking deposits to avoid detection by the Internal Revenue Service.

Banks and other financial institutions are required to notify the IRS of any deposit of $10,000 or more.

But two warrants sought by Heidi Gutierrez, a U.S. Treasury task force officer for the IRS criminal investigation division, alleged that the dispensary operators bundled deposits into smaller amounts to avoid detection.

Mark Reichel, an attorney for the two dispensary operators, said the deposits "were likely routine so they can write checks for employees and for security and for the IRS."

"They were not intending to avoid the IRS reporting law," he said.

No criminal charges have been filed in the case.

The account seizures follow recent federal charges of conspiracy and illegal marijuana sales against five people associated with another Sacramento dispensary, the R & R Wellness Collective.

In the latest case, investigator Gutierrez said federal banking officials were notified of suspicious transactions by SAFE Credit Union, which held separate accounts for the two dispensaries.

In her affidavit filed to seize $145,162 from the account of MJ'S Wellness Inc., Gutierrez said the operator of the Gold River dispensary made deposits of $118,375 over 21 consecutive days and another $26,786 over three days.

She alleged that River City Cooperative Corp., which runs One Love Wellness, made 19 deposits – $102,713 in total – into two accounts in a structuring scheme to keep deposits under $10,000.

"It's a federal offense to structure money to avoid the reporting requirement," said Donald Heller, a Sacramento lawyer and former federal prosecutor.

Heller said violations of federal structuring laws can carry penalties of up to 10 years in prison, plus forfeiture of financial accounts.

He said the account seizures may signal that federal authorities are looking for illegal profiteering by dispensaries, which are required to operate as nonprofits under state law. Deposit records "may provide some evidence down the road in criminal prosecution," he said.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Holy shit. SO many people suggested I try to vend in Sact'o, and I am soooo fucking glad I decided to keep it all personal (even if I do tend to blow things up).

Shit's coming down, my friends, and it's coming down hard. Police state is understating the situation.

urbanfog

urbanfog

Yeah, I am thinking I am done with dispensaries. Time to think perpetual for me I think.

:(

Personally, only went to 1 love once. I got a weird vibe and never went back

F

foothillfarmin

I forewarned a friend who owns a dumbspensary down in Sac., told him it is a matter of time before the feds and IRS make half a brain and figure out whatever they can to shut them all down....looks as though they are implementing their strategies.........man I always hated this storefront shit, too easy to be shady and sorry but 90% of them are and always will be, greed is #1 in this industry, no wonder some people shun me because I give shit away , im taking away from their profits....I will end up retiring nicely but not anytime soon like these stupid owners who are trying to retire in 6 months, greedy bastards and bitches!!!!!

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

theyre not al bad.. most of them, yes..but all of them, no.. places like fruitridge and a select few others are doing it right and it will show cause theyll be the ones lasting in this biz.. R&R wellness got caught selling pounds to people.. dumb if u ask me.. but if u do it by the books theres nothing they can get you for

K

kolah

Set up like bowling pins.

"Operation Flush em' Out" in Stage II.

They got your names, your personal info, they let you grow and sell for a bit and then WHAM! If you go back underground they still got all your juicy info. Welcome to The Jungle, AmeriKa, the New Police State

Jebus

Jebus

Wow not good at all. I know sac has too many clubs it seems like, but there are a select few that do it rite n i only visit those certain places. Let's hope for the best in the end..

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Best not to use Banks at all,if even cause they are greedy corperations that had /have a big part in the housing mess. Many of the houses that they turn over from forcloser are refinnanced by them again and again and the poor peeps who buy them are getting them repo`d . It`s a racket and we are the cattle.

They can`t report what they never see! Cash!

K

kolah

Best not to use Banks at all,if even cause they are greedy corperations that had /have a big part in the housing mess. Many of the houses that they turn over from forcloser are refinnanced by them again and again and the poor peeps who buy them are getting them repo`d . It`s a racket and we are the cattle.

They can`t report what they never see! Cash!

I agree with your statements 100%. Yes, Cash is King. Why do you think they lured everyone into using credit cards, checking accounts and debit cards? Answer: to phase out cash and have everything traceable.

Notice how they force us to have some type of fucking "card." (Sam's Club, grocery stores, gas stations, etc, etc ) And they lure us in by giving us "the discount. "

D

DazedNconfussed

I tried vending to one love once....they wanted me to fill out a w4 or something...and they paid with a corporate checks....glad i didnt....wonder if theyre vendors will be the next to here from the feds...maybe id feel bad if these disp's wernt so greedy.

coloradochem

coloradochem

guns and finance are the major things needed to wage war, looks like they are coming for both. i dont know if im crazy enough to belive it, but it shure seems that way after the last couple weeks. lol.

Top Bottom