Feed daily with 1/2 strength nuts or feed full strength one day and water next day repeated?

• Thread starter Siz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Siz

Siz

Hello yall,

Having trouble feeding full nuts to my plants, my ppms are rising and I am feeding just over half strength base with 3/4-full strength additives.

When I add water days in between my ppms balance out but if I feed multiple days it starts to rise.

Im using Advanced Nutrients, called in and the rep told me to feed full nuts with every watering. Which made zero sense to me if I am telling him I am getting tip burn doing that.

How are you guys feeding your plants? Do you check runoff with coco every watering?

My ph dropped as low as 5.5 but now is coming back up to 5.6-5.7. My EC jumped as high as 3.5 once normally around 2.6 my input was 2.4 when I jumped that high but now lowered to 2.0.

Thoughts?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I swear by dry amendments and microbes, that's just me though. Best of luck, grow some 🔥

Reactions: Siz
F

Flyingpig2

Nute companies are famous for recomending too much product. I grow in rockwool and usually run about 1/3 my manufactuers recomended dose.

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

If you’re growing in coco you need to water with nutes everyday. make sure you’re getting %20 run off otherwise yes your ec will rise. Depending on the size of your plant you may need to be watering more then one time a day.. the fresh nutes push out the old salts that are building up in the coco

Siz

Siz

If you’re growing in coco you need to water with nutes everyday. make sure you’re getting %20 run off otherwise yes your ec will rise. Depending on the size of your plant you may need to be watering more then one time a day.. the fresh nutes push out the old salts that are building up in the coco

I am in coco and I am pushing enough runoff but my EC will jump if I feed everyday. I do water daily

What medium are they planted in?

Coco

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

I am in coco and I am pushing enough runoff but my EC will jump if I feed everyday. I do water daily

Coco
Yes you need to water daily , more watering required if the ec is rising but with nutrients every time

Nuggz23

Nuggz23

I feed once a week. Everyone does it different. You'll learn what works for you. I feed once a week at full nutes. I'll feed again if I see an issue with plants. But 99 per cent of the time I don't have too. This is of course if I'm running GH flora series trio. If I'm running down to earth simply water when needed.

H

hoobastank_enthusiast

My ph dropped as low as 5.5 but now is coming back up to 5.6-5.7. My EC jumped as high as 3.5 once normally around 2.6 my input was 2.4 when I jumped that high but now lowered to 2.0.

Thoughts?

Coco grower. Fertigates (waters with nutrients) daily, sometimes multiple times daily, with zero problems. Some thoughts:

Don't bother with runoff pH, it will regularly fluctuate and rarely gives you any useful information. Make sure the pH of your nutrient solution is correct going in and be done with it.

An ingress EC of 2.0 mS/cm is very high IMO. Not surprised at all that's burning your plants or spiking your egress EC. That sounds like a number off of the manufacturer's chart, which, as mentioned already, tend to be overpowered because they expect you to dilute that mixture to your intended EC. Sounds like you're doing that already, but your intended EC might still be too high. When fertigating every day, I rarely stray above 1.3 - 1.4 mS/cm.

To that point, it's the manufacturer's ratios that matter, not the volumes. When fertigating coco daily, it is not uncommon to substantially reduce the manufacturer's recommended values; for example I use GenHydro trio and on any given week I'm typically using only ~50% of the "Light" application's volumes to hit my target ingress EC.

Flushing (that is what you're doing when you water coco without nutrients) helps triage the problem by removing excess nutrients, but all you're doing is creating a pendulum swing that you now have to manage; the real answer is reducing the strength of your nutrient solution such that your egress EC is not impacted by the frequency of your fertigations.

It takes a little bit of practice to get those numbers dialed in for yourself but once you do, EC really becomes just like pH - correct the EC of your nutrient solution going in and be done with it. I haven't checked egress EC since my final transplant 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I won't for the remainder of the grow unless I see other signs of trouble.

Siz

Siz

Coco grower. Fertigates (waters with nutrients) daily, sometimes multiple times daily, with zero problems. Some thoughts:

Don't bother with runoff pH, it will regularly fluctuate and rarely gives you any useful information. Make sure the pH of your nutrient solution is correct going in and be done with it.

An ingress EC of 2.0 mS/cm is very high IMO. Not surprised at all that's burning your plants or spiking your egress EC. That sounds like a number off of the manufacturer's chart, which, as mentioned already, tend to be overpowered because they expect you to dilute that mixture to your intended EC. Sounds like you're doing that already, but your intended EC might still be too high. When fertigating every day, I rarely stray above 1.3 - 1.4 mS/cm.

To that point, it's the manufacturer's ratios that matter, not the volumes. When fertigating coco daily, it is not uncommon to substantially reduce the manufacturer's recommended values; for example I use GenHydro trio and on any given week I'm typically using only ~50% of the "Light" application's volumes to hit my target ingress EC.

Flushing (that is what you're doing when you water coco without nutrients) helps triage the problem by removing excess nutrients, but all you're doing is creating a pendulum swing that you now have to manage; the real answer is reducing the strength of your nutrient solution such that your egress EC is not impacted by the frequency of your fertigations.

It takes a little bit of practice to get those numbers dialed in for yourself but once you do, EC really becomes just like pH - correct the EC of your nutrient solution going in and be done with it. I haven't checked egress EC since my final transplant 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I won't for the remainder of the grow unless I see other signs of trouble.
Very good info! I like the idea of using manufacture recommended dose then diluting to the EC I need I am going to try that moving forward!

Top Bottom