feed store molasses

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Just a heads up...
most feed store molasses contains a mold inhibitor . I forget the damn name right now though.
I "used" to make rum with molasses ferments and this inhibitor slows the fermenting to a crawl.

I also found out that what kills alot of molds also kills alot of beneficial fungi spores that we use in gardening. Just some food for thought.

Human consumption molasses is pretty cheap so probably the best idea is to stay away from the feed store variety

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
good to know...
I have been to a couple feed store in these parts,,,and they dont sell molasses
Now Im glad they didnt

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
good to know...
I have been to a couple feed store in these parts,,,and they dont sell molasses
Now Im glad they didnt

I had the same experience, CGK. Since I prefer powdered to liquid (a lot cleaner to work with), I stuck with my Bountea Bioactivator. It's pricey but if you shop around and buy it in bulk it's worth the expense.

outwest

budboy299

budboy299

Found it :) Propanoic acid Most of the feed store molasses has it in there.
Maybe at the levels of dilution that we use it may not make a difference but....we pay for benes...why take the chance of killing or even slowing them down.

Propanoic acid inhibits the growth of mold and some bacteria at the levels between 0.1 and 1% by weight (Wikipedia)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
shoot... I bet the stuff I use has GMO's o_O

green punk

green punk

I use feed store molasses. Mold grows right on top. Evidently it doesn't contain the inhibitor.?

budboy299

budboy299

Could be you may have gotten lucky Green Punk...hope you did.

Another potential problem can be the amount of sulphur used in the feed molasses during processing.

1st pressing is where "fancy molasses" comes from and is the sweetest best quality for baking etc

next steps end up making blackstrap molasses which is more bitter but still quite good for baking (think bran muffins)

once all that has been extracted that can be for humans....comes the animal feeds.
This is when sulphur is introduced to help get that final little bit of sugars from the sugar cane.
Not sure how much the sulphur effects the crops (may even be good for it) but man when you make rum from it you cannot seem to get the smell out of the final product!!

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

A tbsp/gal isn't enough to inhibit microbial growth enough to matter.

Or all of us making ACT with it just fell for a placebo......along with our plants.

My ACT with feed store molasses kicks ass.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

cant edit..

fwiw....I have mushrooms growing in my planters with my MMJ.

It hasn't hurt that fungi fur shure

budboy299

budboy299

Good to know Mississip Hip....can't beat real world results. My experience all comes from Rum ferments. With fancy molasses the yeast goes wild in the ferment. With feed molasses with the inhibitor... the ferment slows to a crawl with barely a fizzle.
Must have something to do with the dilution rate we use in growing.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Rum ferments?...that sounds cool.

Is that like the mash?

The slow ferment, if its anything like beer, could be from lack of DO.....there are no air stones in a carboy.

With ACT, perhaps, the whole process is less inhibited due to super high DO contents in the water...so the inhibitors just cant keep up?

I should try high dollar sugar. I hate dropping the coin when I get good results already.

I am gonna see if the molasses has this in it, also. I am going by there today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom