• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hello,

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but all the reading I've done has me more confused than educated.

I'm running 3gal smart pots and using Roots Organic Pre-Mix CoCo and hand feeding. I transplanted clones 2 days ago. On transplant I fed them ph'd filtered water with 3ml/gal of Hygrozyme and 1tsp of Mykos/gal, yesterday I fed straight compost tea (I found this really helps the roots go crazy). After reading several threads, it seems like you are supposed to feed with coco heavily and frequently (once roots are established). For my last few rounds I have been doing neither with mixed results. My schedule has me feeding the hygro/myko for first 6-10 days, the starting with nutes at 1/4 strength then 1/2 strength then full strength.

For veg I'm using Pura Vida Grow, Floralicious+, CalMag+, & Hygrozyme. For flower I switch to Pura Vida Bloom, Floralicious+, CalMag+, & BioBud. I'm also using Compost Tea occasionally both feeding and foliar, and Bloom Chaos Foliar.

I guess my question is, how frequently should I be feeding? How much runoff? I've been letting the pots dry and feel light before feeding, and that seems like a big no no. Please advise. (any other advice would be appreciated too!)

Thanks!

outwest

dankworth

dankworth

Yeah don't let coco get too dry. Coco performs best at a certain saturation rate. You can see the growth spurt after you irrigate, then watch as it slows down as the coco passes into being too dry.
20-30% runoff is what the big kids recommend for coco. You can get away with less if you run Drip Clean. I have worked with coco for a bit. Drip Clean lets you get away with less runoff/more mistakes. Google it if you need to see more people's opinions. But it is an essential product for coco in my opinion.
IBA(indole-butyric acid) can be found at home depot for next to nothing. Read desertsquirrel's thread on the subject. Teas are awesome. I rock teas. But teas + IBA kick even more ass.
Check out peeps who irrigate their coco more with up to 12 small irrigations per day. But often these peeps are heavily amending their coco with perlite to allow for more frequent irrigations/higher growth rate. Some work required to set up big res, irrigation manifold, and drainage, but it is worth it in the end for the growth rate and lack of participation needed.
I was going broke buying Hygrozyme. I bought a quart of Carefree-IPS enzymes pond protector stage 2. Application rate is 15 ml/100 gallons. So spending like $30 with shipping will supply enzymes for over 6,000 gallons of res. I have used this product for a year and a half now.
The consensus among some of the big kids is that when your container feels 1/2 the weight compared to the weight when the medium was fully saturated, it is the correct time to irrigate again. But observe carefully and use your own best judgment.
Hope this helps.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks, Dankworth. Very helpful. While I'm sure automation would be more efficient, I'm really into K.I.S.S. and I enjoy the time spent in the garden hand feeding. My garden is small enough that it is not time consuming, 12 micro feedings a day would be a bit much, but every other day or so is more than doable.

I'll also look into drip clean. I've got enough Hygrozyme to last me a lifetime, but I'll check out the IBA. Thanks again!

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom