Feeding mothers before cloning?

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

So I have a pretty good magazine article that I followed step by step for the first batch of clones I made...and I had great results (i think 44/50) made it...but it took more like 3-4 weeks instead of a week or two like an experienced person would have got. The one deviation I made from the directions were that I gave my mothers a healthy feeding the day before taking cuttings, knowing they'd be going awhile without food...even though the article said not to feed the mothers right before taking clones...can't remember the exact reason why but I think it said roots would come quicker...what are your thoughts and experiences? TIA.:cool0041:

S

Sonic Seeds

Breeder
Supporter
So I have a pretty good magazine article that I followed step by step for the first batch of clones I made...and I had great results (i think 44/50) made it...but it took more like 3-4 weeks instead of a week or two like an experienced person would have got. The one deviation I made from the directions were that I gave my mothers a healthy feeding the day before taking cuttings, knowing they'd be going awhile without food...even though the article said not to feed the mothers right before taking clones...can't remember the exact reason why but I think it said roots would come quicker...what are your thoughts and experiences? TIA.:cool0041:

the main thing to consider regarding the mum is its health , it wants to be in a good condition and not in stasis , if your mum has been shaded and not getting much light then the cuts you take will be slow to root ,

i have some moms under a 250 wt halide that is high up close to the ceiling , this stops the mums growing to fast , but when i want to take cuts i would put the mum under a 600wt light . the plant is in full steam mode and wants to grow , taking nice thick cuttings from these will make um root fast and vigurous ..

also the greener the mother plant the better , soft fresh tissue roots best , also when you cut of the cutting dont cut with a long angle , just a bit of a slant . this helps keep the stem from being to stressed and stops the tip of the bottom of the stem from rotting before rooting .

fish mix from bio bizz is a good food for mums , and helps in the rooting process .

good luck mate

L

likeakite

We've always heard that feeding a mama with bloom nutes(higher P) before taking clones would help rooting. Cant say ive found that to be true, but DID find that taking cuts from a mama using high EC with lotsa N would slow the rooting some.

I agree that the most important thing is to have a healthy mama....whatever the nutes used.

C

chickenn

a healthy mother is most important. healthy moms make healthy clones.

as for feeding, i see no difference, if it is time to feed, i feed. if it is time to take cuts, i take cuts. just fed, fed a week ago, it makes no matter. all in all if mom is healthy, clones will be healthy.

if the cut is healthy it will make roots. having it healthy puts a lot less stress on them.

J

jigglybones

The mother plant should be depleted somewhat of nitrogen to discourage foliage growth in the newly cut clones (you want the babies growing roots, not leaf matter). Now wait for the mom to need watering, then water with carbs/amino acids (enzymes) - not nitrogen, no grow formulas yet. The theory is watering this way causes essentials like carbs/amino acids (which are enzymes) to be already present in the plant tissue upon cutting. In the past, growers only looked to ensure these items were present and available in the awaiting medium for the little cuttings to uptake. But,, cuttings have no roots, which makes it kind of hard to take up anything.

This helped me a lot. I hope it helps someone else out there in Gangi Land!

B

BayArea

I'm with jigglybones on this one. Timing and proper nutient application will help the "Mom's" produce healthy clones.

S

Sonic Seeds

Breeder
Supporter
The mother plant should be depleted somewhat of nitrogen to discourage foliage growth in the newly cut clones (you want the babies growing roots, not leaf matter). Now wait for the mom to need watering, then water with carbs/amino acids (enzymes) - not nitrogen, no grow formulas yet. The theory is watering this way causes essentials like carbs/amino acids (which are enzymes) to be already present in the plant tissue upon cutting. In the past, growers only looked to ensure these items were present and available in the awaiting medium for the little cuttings to uptake. But,, cuttings have no roots, which makes it kind of hard to take up anything.

This helped me a lot. I hope it helps someone else out there in Gangi Land!

i said to add the fish mix , meaning if the plant is not green enough it will green it up , mums seem to respond to it very well , espesialy if they are old , greener cuttings root faster ,

J

jigglybones

My post had nothing to do with you, Sonic Seeds. I was merely passing along some info.

S

Sonic Seeds

Breeder
Supporter
My post had nothing to do with you, Sonic Seeds. I was merely passing along some info.

lol sorry should have read your post better mate , was assuming , i take it back . hope we cool .

on a side not the fish mix is also packed with p and k , so helpsin many ways

check out these new guys :free-character-smil:rastadancing::party0023:

Top Bottom