Feeding schedules for outdoor growing tips and tricks?

• Thread starter Hybrideyez
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hybrideyez

Hybrideyez

Just curious....

I've grown some indoors, and followed a pretty tight feeding schedule, to some success, but this is my first, somewhat controlled, outdoor grow.

These plants are healthy, for the most part. They have some strange growth, but, are looking good. Tallest is about 6 feet at this point. I have been feeding them every couple weeks during this veg, but I am not sure how often I should be adding nutes.

The conditions for the growth medium are as follows:

Whatever the Earth in my yard is, with a small amount of ProMix stirred in.

The dirt in this area is sandy. That's why I tried to mix in a bit of promix, so there would be some....I dunno. This was set up impromptu, as the law had just been passed, and it was already kinda late for planting outdoors. I didn't really have the resources to do a full-on setup, and next season I will be setting this up more proper, with some SubCool super soil, and actually boxing in the beds.

I am just curious how often I should be applying nutes. The leaves are nice and green, no yellowing. A couple have some sporadic white spots tho, which is why I think maybe I'm not giving them enough. Also, they seem to stretch a lot more than they do under more controlled conditions. Where not close to a flower light yet, so...this being my first outdoor, I don't know if I should be following a similar schedule with nutes.

In my indoor experience, I would water my ladies every 3 days, with 2 of those being nutes and the third just plain water. Every second plain water, I would add some blackstrap. Then, I typically flushed the last 3 weeks before harvest, once the leaves were already yellowing, and the trics were clouding up.

Outdoor has proven to be different...haha. I don't get any clawing, no burnt tips. I know there are things out in the big bad world that are just naturally there as well, so I have been light on feeding, kinda reading the plants new growth to determine when I add nutes. Should I continue this? Or would there maybe be a better plan of action to get tighter groupings and more yield?

Just curious as to what y'all's thoughts are on this, as I know some of ya get some pretty killer lookin ladies. Mine are lookin a bit whispy in comparison. I don't know if that is simply genetics or what, but these plants just don't look as dense as some I have seen. Maybe it's the sativa genetics in this strain.

Feeding schedules for outdoor growing tips and tricks
Feeding schedules for outdoor growing tips and tricks 2
Feeding schedules for outdoor growing tips and tricks 3
Feeding schedules for outdoor growing tips and tricks 4
Z

Zill

Hybrid,

Like you I grow outdoors. I keep the plants in a non luxurious level of feeding. It’s easier to switch to flowering with a healthy dose of phosphate.

Routine - I use ground up alfalfa leaves. Make a slurry and pour around the plant. Now and again I’ll do a foliar spray with FeSO4 and Epsom salts, MgSO4. About one teaspoon each in a 500ml spray bottle. Spray till run off late in the afternoon, out side of full sun.

As the season progresses I’ll drop the alfalfa and switch to super phosphate. I hit that pretty hard then a light dose now and again with the foliar feeding.

Choppr

Choppr

They look fine, and look like they are finding what they need in the ground. Mine also do fine on their own, but I do fertilize with top dressings of dry organics and water in with molasses. I'm way north zone 3a/3b, I start indoor April 1, and try to sex them before they go outdoor(wk 8-9), 1st-2nd wk of June they go in the ground, I will use Down to Earth or Geo Flora dry Organic slow release, I double the dosages for each top dress and use 50/50 Grow/Bloom always. 1st top dress at Transplant, 2nd @ Transition, 3rd @ 3rd week of flower, Always watered in with molasses. I do keep Diatomaceous earth on the top soil. The KISS method works for me. Up here, Pray for late Frost, and Pray early season bow hunters dont get your crop...(fuggin potheads!) lol. good luck

Top Bottom