few beginners questions

• Thread starter Farmerbytrade
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Farmerbytrade

Hey everyone I have did a lot of searching and reading on this site.. i didnt know if i would be able to grow my own, but thanks to the info here I have no doubt its possible. I did come up with a few questions from all the reading though.

First off I have kind of decided on the hempy buckets as far as how to grow. They seem easy to make and I have no problem checking on them daily.
I was thinking 4 or 6 two gallon buckets should fit in my closet.
One of my main concerns is humidity. Its winter here, and the air is cold and terribly dry. So i get a humidifier, but can I over do it? Would you put the humidifier in the closet with the plants? Also what about fresh air? Would a small fan moving help, or should I be trying to get air from outside? Smell is not an issue.

If I use distilled water in all of my growing, does that eliminate the need to monitor PH levels? I have very hard water at my home.
Could someone reccomend a good light system that would basically be plug in and go for 4-6 plants?

Also, how deep to you plant the seedlings once placed in the hempy?
Thank you for the help, I realize these are probably noob questions.

Melvan

Melvan

Humidity is important, but this time of year it is hard to maintain, especially if you're in a cold climate where you're running the heat all the time. Really, the only way you can get the humidity to proper levels is raising the humidity in the whole house.

I've been growing indoors for 10 years and I do the best I can on the humidity, but if you can't do it you can't do it, put the humidifier in there, but if you don't get to 40-60% don't worry about it. Keeping the temps proper is much more important.

Using distilled water does not end the need to ph. Once you had nutrients to the water it changes the ph. So, mix your nutes, let them sit for 24 hours, then ph the water. Correct any changes the nutrients caused before giving to the plants. And remember on nutes, less is more until you know what the plants can handle.

Lighting depends on the square footage of the space, not the number of plants. You need 3000 lumens for veg, 5000 for flower and 50 watts per square foot. What's the size of the space you're using.

Plant your seedlings as deep as 1/2 way up the stem. Seedlings tend to stretch at the beginning, so when you transplant you want to give extra support to the stem with the soil.

I have no experience with the hempy buckets, I've used the standard 3 gallon black bucket for a decade and they do great. You can see my grow by clicking the link in my sig.

Good luck

Quick tip: Do not set any seeds to germ until you have your grow space constructed properly and you have the temps under control. Make sure you have proper air flow and ventilation, you want the air to exchange in the space at least 1 time per minute, in my room I have total air exchange 3 times per minute.

F

Farmerbytrade

i was going to start the plants in a closet about 2.5ft x 3.5 ft then move them out (hopefully they will be too big). Say i was going to flower in part of a bedroom, will the plants be alright out int he open or do i need to construct somthing around them to trap the light? canvas or somthing to make the grow space reasonable?

Also, is Co2 necessary?

Would an air stone in the hempy buckets serve a purpose?

Top Bottom