Few newbie questions (2nd grow) need better advice.

• Thread starter Tyguy93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tyguy93

Tyguy93

So I just finished harvesting my very first grow , I was given plants that were already about a month old, long story short this is all I was able to get ( 3/4 of the plants ended up being males). Now I'm starting out completely fresh, I got a whole spare room to grow in , I just planted 10 seeds in some small plastic cups I got from the grow store. My question now is since I've never grown from seed is, how often do I need to water the seeds. I accidently left my lights on for a little over 24 hours after reading conflicting info and will now switch to 20/4 unless someone advises differently. The person I got my first plants from told me to keep the lights on veg for 24 hours straight at all times until I switched to flower then to go12/12. My tent is currently like 6'x4' is that sufficient for 10 plants ? My first grow all said and done only grew about 18-24 inches tall and I was pretty disappointed, I vegged for like 3 months and the guy advised me to then switch to flower. I know I got alot more reading to do and more research to do but I was hoping to get a little jump start by making this post and getting some advice. Below attached is the harvest from my first grow only about an ounce id say from 3 plants (started with 10)
Few newbie questions 2nd grow need better advice

Aaflexy

Aaflexy

I personally use a 18/6 method because I read somewhere that some plants get stressed out by the 24 hours straight of light without having having a dark(sleeping )period like they would out in nature

Aaflexy

Aaflexy

Was your plant showing signs of being stressed a lot because 3 months veg time with 3 plants flipped to flower and only a ounce in return is very little what nutrients were you feeding and it could be the 24 light schedule

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

Looks like more then 1 ounce in the jars . Have a look at my pics I got 238 grams which was 8 and 1/4 ounces off 1 plant which was my second grow ever .

Tyguy93

Tyguy93

Was your plant showing signs of being stressed a lot because 3 months veg time with 3 plants flipped to flower and only a ounce in return is very little what nutrients were you feeding and it could be the 24 light schedule
I didnt do any nutrients, guy I got starter plants from has been growing for like 40 years and told me for my first grow not to worry about nutrients and just learn and thats all I did. The bud came out decent I get pretty stoned from it so that's all that matters but yes, I didn't get jack shit from it maybe a little more than an ounce. This is what they looked like before I pulled them.

20210709 192502
Tyguy93

Tyguy93

Looks like more then 1 ounce in the jars . Have a look at my pics I got 238 grams which was 8 and 1/4 ounces off 1 plant which was my second grow ever .
They are not your standard sized Mason jars they are about a quarter of the size of a standard jar

Tyguy93

Tyguy93

Yea lol I know I messed up now I need to know how to not mess up lol. I'd like to get at least an ounce a plant... this time around I will make sure to use nutrients. As I said above it was my first grow and I was taking advice from a guy from work who's been growing for like 30-40 years and he said first go around just get comfortable with growing and don't worry about nutrients or anything. Really sucked when It came time to harvest and all I had to show for months of work was this. Don't get me wrong it's actually pretty good , tastes good and does a good job but I really wish I had gotten more.

20210710 134048
Aaflexy

Aaflexy

Yea lol I know I messed up now I need to know how to not mess up lol. I'd like to get at least an ounce a plant... this time around I will make sure to use nutrients. As I said above it was my first grow and I was taking advice from a guy from work who's been growing for like 30-40 years and he said first go around just get comfortable with growing and don't worry about nutrients or anything. Really sucked when It came time to harvest and all I had to show for months of work was this. Don't get me wrong it's actually pretty good , tastes good and does a good job but I really wish I had gotten more.
Yeah if you used nutrients and still messed up on your first grow you could’ve gotten atleast a pound or more if you vegged for 3 months but even then I’m suprised your plant looked dark green except for a little deficiency on the sides

Tyguy93

Tyguy93

Yeah if you used nutrients and still messed up on your first grow you could’ve gotten atleast a pound or more if you vegged for 3 months but even then I’m suprised your plant looked dark green except for a little deficiency on the sides
Thats actually a little depressing thinking I could've gotten so much more :( . I only used soil from lowes too. This time around I already bought some good grow soil and such and will be really trying better. I only got lights from Amazon might get one or 2 more but can't afford one of the expensive lights yet sadly. Hopefully that doesn't effect anything. Planted seeds on Sunday, still no sprouting yet fingers crossed I get 10 females this time around.

20210731 192034
Aaflexy

Aaflexy

I feel you brother and Did you get like a brand like miracle gro that comes pre amended? And are you using bulb lights?

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
As I said above it was my first grow and I was taking advice from a guy from work who's been growing for like 30-40 years

Meh, one guy that's been growing for 30-40 years is still just one guy. Put another person in the room like him and you've already doubled his experienced. That's why I like to come here for help, where there the walls are just oozing with old-man advice 😄

Last edited:
elduderito

elduderito

first off congratz on your first harvest! getting smokeable bud on your first grow is an accomplishment in itself!

there definitely must have been some kind of issues tho, as you said you vegged them 3 months and ended up with 18inch plants! My guess is they were somehow stunted or stressed at some point and never fully recovered...

what kind of light were you growing under and what are you looking at buying? This definitely is one of the key success factors... as well as your soil and watering practices! what kind of soil did you get?

SSgrower

SSgrower

Ok, media matters as it relates to watering, more info on media & lights, LED,HID CFL? Read alot here from organic growers, I now am a Coco/perlite grower and the watering is different for both. Tent, you have one or a grow room or space, maybe closet. More info.

Tyguy93

Tyguy93

Ok, media matters as it relates to watering, more info on media & lights, LED,HID CFL? Read alot here from organic growers, I now am a Coco/perlite grower and the watering is different for both. Tent, you have one or a grow room or space, maybe closet. More info.
Ok so the bag I think I got is roots organic soil, and the lights are these https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Spec...d_rd_i=B082NJ6L3P&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_4_sc

I currently have 2 of them and think I'm gonna get 2 more

Aaflexy

Aaflexy

You got a good soil brand make sure you have some nutrients later on for the plant and lights are pretty decent they should take you thru flower alright👍

Top Bottom