ffof and ffhf mixed

• Thread starter burn4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
burn4me

burn4me

so i have FFOF and FFHF and want to mix them.2 small bags apiece(24 quarts each) will this be all i need? do i only give water for 3-4 weeks? do i add anything else since i have HR VEG+BLOOM nutes i want to run? i do have FF trio too for a next grow but will use if recommended. i also have a bag of perlite and a bag of vermiculite. both are MG though......
been posting like crazy because im so close to my actual grow....last few t's to be crossed this being one of the final. and now finding a lime product i can actually get my hands on to use. i just learned that the GROW MORE product i just bought isnt fine enough and grinding it up wont help

TIA you guys

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
so i have FFOF and FFHF and want to mix them.2 small bags apiece(24 quarts each) will this be all i need? do i only give water for 3-4 weeks? do i add anything else since i have HR VEG+BLOOM nutes i want to run? i do have FF trio too for a next grow but will use if recommended. i also have a bag of perlite and a bag of vermiculite. both are MG though......
been posting like crazy because im so close to my actual grow....last few t's to be crossed this being one of the final. and now finding a lime product i can actually get my hands on to use. i just learned that the GROW MORE product i just bought isnt fine enough and grinding it up wont help

TIA you guys
yes you can mix them.

let us know the reason for doing so, then we can help confirm or deny you are on the right path. (lighter/faster drying soil mix or just because you have em??)

One way to do it, is to start clones/seedlings in happy frog then go to ocean forest. That will buy you more time before you have to use nutrients.

The 3-4 week with water is only a guideline for ocean forest. Each plants needs are different so gotta watch the plants.

The soil is already amended with lime so adding more is probably not needed and could cause issues. Keep it simple.

burn4me

burn4me

yes you can mix them.

let us know the reason for doing so, then we can help confirm or deny you are on the right path. (lighter/faster drying soil mix or just because you have em??)

One way to do it, is to start clones/seedlings in happy frog then go to ocean forest. That will buy you more time before you have to use nutrients.

The 3-4 week with water is only a guideline for ocean forest. Each plants needs are different so gotta watch the plants.

The soil is already amended with lime so adding more is probably not needed and could cause issues. Keep it simple.
actually both reasons....more on the side of stretching it out some but also to insure not over watering since it is my 1st actual grow
thanks
but at least 2 weeks only water unless plant wants food? just making sure i touch every base before trying to slide home;)

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I use a mix for uppotting newly rooted clones and some early veg plants that are nute sensitive. I use HF with 40% or so extra perlite to root clones and pure OF for most veg and all flowering plants. I also ALWAYS mix in 1 cup powdered dolomite lime per cu. ft. of soil for PH buffering and added Ca etc. Good luck. MGG

burn4me

burn4me

I use a mix for uppotting newly rooted clones and some early veg plants that are nute sensitive. I use HF with 40% or so extra perlite to root clones and pure OF for most veg and all flowering plants. I also ALWAYS mix in 1 cup powdered dolomite lime per cu. ft. of soil for PH buffering and added Ca etc. Good luck. MGG
im having trouble finding powdered dolomite lime. i have what i thought was powdered turns out to be pretty granulated. can i pulverize it say in an old coffee grinder and use it that way or what? i seen mixes in pics and they seem to be using the same type i have

burn4me

burn4me

ive asked that question and not heard a hard answer...soooooo my brother went to a hydro store and went kinda nuts. he bought 2 3.8 cuft. of promix hp 2 huge bags of perlite and vermiculite. no ewc(i cussed at him for not getting) he also bought FF kangaroots. i was thinking use the FF nutes w/ FF soils. then afer i use the soils switch to making my own just minus the organic nutes. not quite ready for organic gardening full time

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

im having trouble finding powdered dolomite lime. i have what i thought was powdered turns out to be pretty granulated. can i pulverize it say in an old coffee grinder and use it that way or what? i seen mixes in pics and they seem to be using the same type i have
For sure you can do that a with any other amendment as well. I personally like oyster shell flour for your fix personally

burn4me

burn4me

For sure you can do that a with any other amendment as well. I personally like oyster shell flour for your fix personally
forgive me for being dumb but you are saying i can use oyster shell powder in the place of lime? and that will still do same thing? thanks for chiming in too btw

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

IMO pulverized lime and oyster shell should be mixed into the soil long before you plan on using it as it takes time for them to become available to the plant, whereas as powdered is much faster acting and can be diluted easily into water if needed as well.

As far as the Kangaroots and the Microbe Brew are all bullshit products, IMO, that I've done side-by-side grows, with and w/o, and found NO difference when I used them. Hope this helps. MGG

burn4me

burn4me

IMO pulverized lime and oyster shell should be mixed into the soil long before you plan on using it as it takes time for them to become available to the plant, whereas as powdered is much faster acting and can be diluted easily into water if needed as well.

As far as the Kangaroots and the Microbe Brew are all bullshit products, IMO, that I've done side-by-side grows, with and w/o, and found NO difference when I used them. Hope this helps. MGG
yes that does help. breaks my heart a bit about FF product acting as a placebo. that blows. the guy at the store actually told my brother it was the shit. not really tripping though. Cap's bennies will do the job from farmers ive seen using it. thanks buddy

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
You stated you are using veg + bloom that should have your nutrient needs covered.

Too much calcium can make others nutrients (like P) unavailable.

Some folks amend the soil so they can just use water for an organic based grow.

Another method is to use water soluble nutrients.

The more things you add. Do keep track how much you add.
That way the next run you can determine if you need more calcium or not. OR if you add it this run, can try to determine if you used too much calcium.

Since you stated it is your first grow. My first grow I got told 10 different thing by 10 different growers. All those thing probably all worked for them as well. Can be confusing. So I decided better test what works best for me and my plants.

One plant with ffof only, one amended organic water only, and one grown with nutrients.
All turned out nice but the water only was best tasting.

Point being listen to the advice but important to test qnd document what works for you.

To be safe and cover your ass.
Some posters maybe did not read that you are using inorganic salts. Then make recommendations like would be done with a organic grow.

If you add to much calcium to the medium you are not going to easily take it out. With water soluble nutrients then you can add more calcium if the plants need it.

Lots of growers first problem is overfeeding. Just trying to help you avoid that. Also not bashing any of the advice given.

Good luck

burn4me

burn4me

You stated you are using veg + bloom that should have your nutrient needs covered.

Too much calcium can make others nutrients (like P) unavailable.

Some folks amend the soil so they can just use water for an organic based grow.

Another method is to use water soluble nutrients.

The more things you add. Do keep track how much you add.
That way the next run you can determine if you need more calcium or not. OR if you add it this run, can try to determine if you used too much calcium.

Since you stated it is your first grow. My first grow I got told 10 different thing by 10 different growers. All those thing probably all worked for them as well. Can be confusing. So I decided better test what works best for me and my plants.

One plant with ffof only, one amended organic water only, and one grown with nutrients.
All turned out nice but the water only was best tasting.

Point being listen to the advice but important to test qnd document what works for you.

To be safe and cover your ass.
Some posters maybe did not read that you are using inorganic salts. Then make recommendations like would be done with a organic grow.

If you add to much calcium to the medium you are not going to easily take it out. With water soluble nutrients then you can add more calcium if the plants need it.

Lots of growers first problem is overfeeding. Just trying to help you avoid that. Also not bashing any of the advice given.

Good luck

respect brother.....any info i do listen to but not all do i intend to imply to my situations. a broad diversity of answers/opinions is always informative and im truly grateful. my question is now though, do i just leave lime out and just treat cal def if it arises? i have botanicare cal/mag. is that doable?

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
respect brother.....any info i do listen to but not all do i intend to imply to my situations. a broad diversity of answers/opinions is always informative and im truly grateful. my question is now though, do i just leave lime out and just treat cal def if it arises? i have botanicare cal/mag. is that doable?
Excellent!! Tons of people succeed with all different method and mediums. Can still amend the soil and use nutrients.
You can treat the problem if it arises with the cal/mag.
Gotta think about all nutrients and how they work together.

The ratio of calcium to magnesium is important.

You can potentially put that ratio out of whack by adding botanicare cal/mg plus.

CAL/MG + also has nitrogen and iron.

• Total Nitrogen (N): 2.0%, 2.0% Nitrate Nitrogen
    • Calcium (Ca): 3.2%
    • SMagnesium (Mg): 1.2%, 1.2% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
    • Iron (Fe): 0.1%, 0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe)
meh. vs veg+bloom has you covered with good ratios of nutrients including cal/mg. 10% calcium to 2.5% magnesium.

Total Nitrogen (N)
7% Nitrate Nitrogen
1% Ammonical Nitrogen 8%
Available Phosphate (P205) 5%
Soluble Potash(K20) 13%
Calcium (Ca) 10%
Magnesium (Mg)
2.5% Water Soluble Magnesium 2.5%
Sulfer (S)
4%Combined Sulfer 4.5%
Cobalt (Co) .002%
Nickel (Ni) .001%
Boron (B) .006%
Manganese (Mn) .008%
Iron (Fe) .02%
Copper (Cu) .003%
Molybdenum (Mo) .001%
Silica (Si) .03%
Zinc (ZN) .001%
ALSO CONTAIN NON-PLANT FOOD INGREDIENTS:
.05% Humic acid derived from Fruitland Formation extract
.01% Citric Acid
.01% L-Aspartate
.01% L-Glutamine
.01% Dextrose
.01% Xylose
DERIVED FROM:Calcium Gluconate, Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate, Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Silicate, MonoPotassium Phosphate, Borax, Iron EDDHA, Iron EDTA, Manganese EDTA, Ammonium Molybdate, Zinc EDTA, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Chloride, Nickel Sulfate

burn4me

burn4me

ive read that info printed on the back of container. i thought 8-5-13 formula was a little low on nitrogen? so if i dont use lime and only treat with cal/mag if needed, wouldnt that put it to 10% nitrogen and 3.7% mag? thats not exceptable? i guess i misunderstood that then. like i said i do have the FF trio too. maybe it'd be easier for me to grasp feedings, no? idk i have both and just want what is easier for me to use. the stand alone i would think is a little more difficult since id have to be very easy with it when i do use it. i get to always go light with food only increase as plant tells me but the numbers and chemistry i guess throws me off. i wanna learn but my feeble brain doesnt want to retain the information. lol anyway thank you for any help given and sorry to sound so "vexed" for lack of a better word.

Top Bottom