FFOF Soil To Hot?

• Thread starter uefear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ReelBusy1

Any of you soil guys know the problem?

I never use FFOF straight.
I cut it with Light warrior and more perlite.
Also some dolomite lime, hydrated lime and bat guano and myco and occasionally some vermiculite.
This keeps that "too hot" thing from happening.

If you need to fix the ph of the soil right away use HYDRATED LIME not dolomite.
dolo takes time to merge into the soil.
hydrated acts immediately.

U

uefear

Well its to late to cut it considering its already in the pot planted. What would be the best thing to do from here?

C

Core

just what i told you in the other thread...some burns won't hurt her:banana1sv6:

H

heater

Did you just repot the plant? Or was it started in FF.
Are the other plants that are fine the same strain?

No answers just some ?'s to narrow it down.

Most cal-mag deficiency's have been reported in the 2nd. or 3 week blooming with FF but some farmers are using it everytime they water. 1tsp. to the gallon is what i have read here. I'm using FF and a few days behind you and i have my cal-mag ready even though the shop said i wouldn't need it i see to many farmers here using it.

U

uefear

Did you just repot the plant? Or was it started in FF.
Are the other plants that are fine the same strain?

No answers just some ?'s to narrow it down.

Most cal-mag deficiency's have been reported in the 2nd. or 3 week blooming with FF but some farmers are using it everytime they water. 1tsp. to the gallon is what i have read here. I'm using FF and a few days behind you and i have my cal-mag ready even though the shop said i wouldn't need it i see to many farmers here using it.

These were started out in a diff premix soil with low low low amount of nutes but it did have them in it. It was made of peat, perlite, vermic, and "composted forest products" aka wood. So that's why I switched to Fox Farms OF. I even picked up the FF Grow Big but that is looking unnecessary for now. They are the same strain "Karma's Jack"

3 Look like they are enjoying their new home while the one plant looks bad with its brown tips and yellow spotting and yellowing on the edges. It hasn't climbed to the top of the plant yet but their are brown patches at the base of the leaves in the middle of the plant.

edit: i transplanted on june 29th. and they were started on june 5th (as in poked up through the soil and sprouted). They were in 12oz dixie cups.

S

smellychronic

I have never had an issue with straight Ocean forest.
I do like to cut it with Light warrior and perlite.

resinryder

resinryder

I've been using the FFOF on and off for 6 years or so and have never had a problem with it being too "hot". I use it by itself for seedling and mother plants but add the chunky perlite when using with my production plants just to add more drainage.

T

Time

I've been using the FFOF on and off for 6 years or so and have never had a problem with it being too "hot". I use it by itself for seedling and mother plants but add the chunky perlite when using with my production plants just to add more drainage.

Seconded. FFOF has NEVER burned one of my plants.

I've seen too many peeps feed their plants 500+ ppm after 1 week in FFOF, burn them, and blame it on the FFOF lolol.

I've planted cheese clones into FFOF as well as other light feeders and have never had a problem.

resinryder

resinryder

Seconded. FFOF has NEVER burned one of my plants.

I've seen too many peeps feed their plants 500+ ppm after 1 week in FFOF, burn them, and blame it on the FFOF lolol.

I've planted cheese clones into FFOF as well as other light feeders and have never had a problem.

My thoughts exactly. When I put a seedling or clone into the straight ffof, I won't put any nutes to it until it shows signs of needing food. Some take a while some don't.

S

supi1012

hell no its not too hot. theres just a shitload of sawdust in it nowadays, so id add 1 tbs/gl dolomite lime to ocean forest to prevent the ph from dropping around day 40-50 in soil, preventing the premature yellowing i see on so many ffof plants. if ur worried about it being too hot (which its not. ive grow many many strains it it) mix it 3/1 with perilite or light warrior.

J

jigglybones

interesting.. I had to add Microblast because of the whole Ca/Mg deficiency issue. Am growing organically in FFOF. Still, I waited way too long to repot.

G

greenplanetguru

Sometimes it's too hot for seedlings...

HI,

I've been using Subcool's much more amended soil mix lately but I used FFOF for many years. It's some great soil but I've had it burn my new born seedlings before. They soon grow out of it and go on their way so it's nothing severe but I've seen it in my room. This is a repeating post on every forum I've been on for the last decade so the issue does exist but I've never heard of anyone getting burn with anything but some tender seedlings of some strains. Since then I've cut FFOF 50/50 with LW for their first month and then I would transplant into straight FFOF with some chunky perlite added to keep the soil from compacting and improve drainage. Since you didn't start the plants in FFOF I doubt if any of the issues you are seeing are due to the FF soil. Your roots should grow out into the new soil and get happy before too long. They are definitely in the right stuff now...

Good Luck! :coffee

R

RIcaregiver

I asked this question a couple of months ago to hydro shop employees and fellow caregivers and the unanimous answer was No, it will fry the little roots !! The plant may survive but most won't !!

I was told to use Sunshine mix #1 for clones and seedlings then transplant in a few weeks !!

"My 50th Post,,,,,,,,,,!!!!"

Peace,
Bill

edit:

"I never use FFOF straight."

Oh yeah, never straight FFOM soil..you gotta use perilite, ? and other additives ?

G

greenplanetguru

Yes and no...

I asked this question a couple of months ago to hydro shop employees and fellow caregivers and the unanimous answer was No, it will fry the little roots !! The plant may survive but most won't !!

I was told to use Sunshine mix #1 for clones and seedlings then transplant in a few weeks !!

"My 50th Post,,,,,,,,,,!!!!"

Peace,
Bill

edit:

"I never use FFOF straight."

Oh yeah, never straight FFOM soil..you gotta use perilite, ? and other additives ?

Congrats on post #50! nice...

NO offense to the hydro store dudes but in about a decade of perusing marijuana forums I've never seen anyone have anything but a very *slight* burn on some leaf tips when using FFOF for seedlings. I don't grow my veggies in it so maybe they had some container gardeners try FFOF with other plants and it burned up their plants? Many times the mj seedling burn with FFOF happens when the grower can't leave the nutes alone and they feed their seedlings too soon before they have any root structure adequately developed but some strains will even show burn on seedlings grown in straight FFOF when fed nothing but water.

You don't 'gotta' put anything in FFOF to get dank results. It all depends on how much you like to lean on feeding your girls from the bottle or rely more on the organics in the soil. The more you amend with organics the less nutes you'll need to use from a bottle. I amend the hell outta my soil now and all my nutes stay on the shelf... It's the easiest way by far that I've found to achieve the dankness I desire in my plants. When I used to use FFOF I liked to add some worm castings for improved soil structure and their nute value and I used just a bit of additional bat guano, some dolomite lime for ph control later in flowering and about 15% of the mix from some chunky perlite to help keep the soil from compacting and draining well. I've done test grows with plants in FFOF straight out of the bag using nothing but RO and the results were very dank, just not as much yield as plants that I fed lightly with organic nutes... If you use it straight out of the bag it works great to alternate feeds with water or feed nutes every third watering. I've also found when growing in most organic soils that feeding 1/3 to 1/2 strength nutes are plenty to give mj the gentle nudge it needs to do it's best and more nute strength can be counterproductive...

Happy Growing!:stonedsmilie:

R

RIcaregiver

Ok, can i hear comments about this:

FFOF w/ Perilite and maybe some lime, worm casings for Cuttings with decent roots

but,

I am saying that it is too harsh even after mixing with perilite for popped seeds ?? after 2 weeks transplant to FFOF w/ extras

only feeding both pure water for a number of weeks until almost flowering time !!

purpleberry

purpleberry

Ive heard this before, My budy calls me with a problem, he put a clone stight into FFOF and it burned the crap out of them. He says he only used water. We put them in light warrior, flushed a few times and they look great now.
Soil was to hot nothing else it could be, the clones were perfect when I gave them to him.
Roots organic is the best soil, I feed the first watering with no problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom