Filling A Recovery Tank With Canned Butane.

• Thread starter MtnDawg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MtnDawg

MtnDawg

washing away the oil from the pump creates another problem, friction! therefore once all the oil is washed out of the recovery pump you end up with a gunked up piston and a failed pump

Are you referring to the Appion, or a pump that is rated for R600?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Oil less refrigerant pumps use the refrigerant for lubrication and to carry the heat away. Running long under vacuum is essentially running dry, and actually overheats the seals to cause failure because they lose resilience. When this happens, they lose the ability to maintain the contact pressure they require to seal against the cylinder wall.

More pumps are however lost by ingesting concentrate laden oil, that overheating, because the butane flashes off and leaves the concentrate coating the seals and poppet valves.

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
Then when I pulled oil(a light tan very viscous oil) was actually mystery oil? That brings up another question? How dirty was my 99.5% n tane and why was it pulling so much oil? I didn't have a liquid syphon (incompetence when I ordered and asked 100 times for one) was it from me tipping the tank up and using gravity to fill my butane tank?

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

CPS has a new version on the TR-21 it is going to be all stainless rated for r600 oil-less and explosion proof....

what are your thoughts GW?

MtnDawg

MtnDawg

If I understand the problem correctly, even an oilless R600 rated pump will have excessive wear issues. R600 refrigerant systems have lubricant flowing through them constantly. This oil also lubricates the recovery pump. In our case, there is no lubricant, so the pump will run hot and wear out faster. It's better than the Appion because it won't explode (or shouldn't, anyway) but it's not optimal.

Also curious what others think cause I'm no expert.

coloradro

coloradro

If I understand the problem correctly, even an oilless R600 rated pump will have excessive wear issues. R600 refrigerant systems have lubricant flowing through them constantly. This oil also lubricates the recovery pump. In our case, there is no lubricant, so the pump will run hot and wear out faster. It's better than the Appion because it won't explode (or shouldn't, anyway) but it's not optimal.

I was coming to the same conclusion the other day when we were doing a run... i have been doing passive recoveries and i maybe lose 2 cans of tane tops everyrun so even though its not 100% recovery we are speeding up our process times and saving money in the end!!
our Incredible closed loop is passive and has a nitrogen assist option we just started using that speeds things up alot!!!
Now to just get the recovery tech down to science and we are golden!!

Dro

Graywolf

Graywolf

Close, but not the answer. Oil less recovery pumps use the vapors of what they are pumping for lubrication. They are vapor pumps, not liquid pumps.

That is the reason that we don't recover lower than -22" Hg using the recovery pump, because lower essentially both runs the piston seals dry of lubrication, and there isn't enough gas flow to carry away the heat generated, so it gets hot as well.

Top Bottom