Filthy, Nasty, Fungas Gnats, ARGGGG...

• Thread starter uphere
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
uphere

uphere

Hello Farmers,
I've recently cleared my grow of Gnats also known as harbingers of death, filthy tiny shit flies. I've dealt with mites, moles, mice, rabits, deer, groundhogs and voles but have never seen the amount of damage that these little shit flies created.

I'm growing in soil, COM and using Advanced. I water every forth day or when bag is light. I tend to stay on the dry side and am perplexed at how I obtained these death flies. I was in week 7 veg when they hit and it took me a couple weeks to rectify the problem. I waited for 5 days of strong growth before flipping to 12/12. I'm noticing explosive stretch and there are some hairs in the crooks but they dont seem to be throwing pistols at the bud sites. Tomorrow will be day 11. Am I just being impatient?

I'm under 335 LED in a 9x9x70" which has never had a problem flowering. The strain is Pebble Punch, a first for me. Perhaps it a slow strain?

I guess Im just wondering if anybody has dealt with Devil Gnat that close to flip?

Final Note, I transplanted into new bags, removing a good portion of the infected soil from Air Pots. Transplanted into fabric. Gnats where able to attack in 3D Due to the Airpots. Will the fresh COM soil effect my flower cycle?

Sorry for length of post but I'd appreciate any responses. Hopefully I'm just being impatient.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Fungus gnats dont cause much visible damage. They are more of a nuisance. They eat rotting matter not plant matter.

now if you are seeing a lot of little black flying bugs and the plants are being damaged with weird deficiencies i would research root aphids.

if your leaves are actually being eaten than maybe regular aphids.

Pics are needed

Anthem

Anthem

Dude it is not that complicated.
2 good options
#1. Pure Crop 1 or Misquito Bits (something with BTI in it) the stuff for ponds in liquid form is stronger than Misquito Bits

Anthem

Anthem

Fungus gnats dont cause much visible damage. They are more of a nuisance. They eat rotting matter not plant matter.

now if you are seeing a lot of little black flying bugs and the plants are being damaged with weird deficiencies i would research root aphids.

if your leaves are actually being eaten than maybe regular aphids.

Pics are needed
Mimed,
The adults will go up on to the fan leaves and suck out liquid from the leaves. Then they go back down to the soil, have sex, make more babies and go back and take another bit out of the leaves. They make the leaves look like they have glaze from a donut all over them. I had it happen once, just could not kill them all off. It was in the middle of COV D so it took me several weeks to get the pond liquid form of BTI. The mosquito bits would not kill them off, but the pond liquid form is stronger.

uphere

uphere

Dude it is not that complicated.
2 good options
#1. Pure Crop 1 or Misquito Bits (something with BTI in it) the stuff for ponds in liquid form is stronger than Misquito Bits
Its cleared now. Seems to have slowed my flip. Just wondering if anyone else has been in that situation?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Mimed,
The adults will go up on to the fan leaves and suck out liquid from the leaves. Then they go back down to the soil, have sex, make more babies and go back and take another bit out of the leaves. They make the leaves look like they have glaze from a donut all over them. I had it happen once, just could not kill them all off. It was in the middle of COV D so it took me several weeks to get the pond liquid form of BTI. The mosquito bits would not kill them off, but the pond liquid form is stronger.

i have not seen plant damage like that even when i had a big infestation. Yellow cards covered but no leaf damage seen.

uphere

uphere

i have not seen plant damage like that even when i had a big infestation. Yellow cards covered but no leaf damage seen.
I was using AirPots for the first time. They where everywhere in the soil. The Airpots gave them access to my roots which I believe they where damaging. Oddly, there was a large spider living in between the soil and pot. It must have been living large, feeding on the filthy, dirty, evil maggots. Like I said, I'll take the spider mites next time. These little bastards full on glazed my leaves. The amount of them in the air while transplanting was insane. I never really saw a ton flying around until I pulled her out of the buckets. In 35 years I've never seen anything like it. From beautiful and healthy to 7 days later freaking out, in complete panic mode. My girlfriend was super excited about all the gnats flying around the bathroom for 2 days. I guess I was due for a reality check. Thanks for the response, I truelly appreciate it.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Same man, I've had bad infestations zero leaf damage from fungus gnats. Also, my understanding is they feed on roots? @uphere Are you sure it's fungus gnats?

Anyways I had a bad infestation right before flip. I used nematodes, beneficial predators and sticky pads in conjunction and got rid of the MF's but it was tough.

Arbico Organics has a good guide/resources for fungus gnats:

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Same man, I've had bad infestations zero leaf damage from fungus gnats. Also, my understanding is they feed on roots? @uphere Are you sure it's fungus gnats?

Anyways I had a bad infestation right before flip. I used nematodes, beneficial predators and sticky pads in conjunction and got rid of the MF's but it was tough.

this stuff kills the larvae and is harmless to plants humans and pets. And is a natural bacteria called BTi

https://www.amazon.com/Ecological-Labs-AEL20036-Mosquito-Treatment/dp/B007UTE55A

4-5 drops per gallon with water or nutrient mix.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I was using AirPots for the first time. They where everywhere in the soil. The Airpots gave them access to my roots which I believe they where damaging. Oddly, there was a large spider living in between the soil and pot. It must have been living large, feeding on the filthy, dirty, evil maggots. Like I said, I'll take the spider mites next time. These little bastards full on glazed my leaves. The amount of them in the air while transplanting was insane. I never really saw a ton flying around until I pulled her out of the buckets. In 35 years I've never seen anything like it. From beautiful and healthy to 7 days later freaking out, in complete panic mode. My girlfriend was super excited about all the gnats flying around the bathroom for 2 days. I guess I was due for a reality check. Thanks for the response, I truelly appreciate it.

wow that sounds awful. :-(

i posted the fix above.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea that too - actually I like microbial lift over the dunks but I thought someone had already mentioned that

the dunks and bits may be old and not viable. My first package of dunks worked great then the second package did nothing.

microbe lift is much more concentrated and reliable.

uphere

uphere

There all gone now. I transplaned as I was in Air Pots which have air holes all over, sides included and a grate on the bottom so the little bastards dug in from all sides. I scraped as much soil from the ball that I could safely remove (pretty much all) and rinsed the roots. Reset in fabric 4 gallon with freah soil. I'm just hoping the fresh soil dosent hinder my flip. I went 12/12 10 days ago. I'm stretching perfectly but not throwing many postols.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

More than anything what stopped it quick for me was the predator mites. Last time I used these guys but this time I'm planning to introduce Rove Beetles prior to flip:

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

There all gone now. I transplaned as I was in Air Pots which have air holes all over, sides included and a grate on the bottom so the little bastards dug in from all sides. I scraped as much soil from the ball that I could safely remove (pretty much all) and rinsed the roots. Reset in fabric 4 gallon with freah soil. I'm just hoping the fresh soil dosent hinder my flip. I went 12/12 10 days ago. I'm stretching perfectly but not throwing many postols.

Nice man! I started ahead of them this crop and I haven't had any fungus gnats yet. Keep an eye out bro it's possible you have transplanted some eggs along with the grow medium and they are yet to hatch. Maybe not also but do you have some sticky sheets hanging so you know if they start coming back?

Anthem

Anthem

I have used all of the above methods, had an experience like MiMed with the Bits. I just use Pure Crop 1 a couple times about a week apart before I flip. I really like the stuff and it is 100 percent safe.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

More than anything what stopped it quick for me was the predator mites. Last time I used these guys but this time I'm planning to introduce Rove Beetles prior to flip:

If the root aphids i have been dealing with come back those beetles may be the next move.

uphere

uphere

Nice man! I started ahead of them this crop and I haven't had any fungus gnats yet. Keep an eye out bro it's possible you have transplanted some eggs along with the grow medium and they are yet to hatch. Maybe not also but do you have some sticky sheets hanging so you know if they start coming back?
Nope, I always check the date on soil. I'm very lucky to have a supplier, localy that get smaller shipments throughout the year. We keep our soils, castings, coco in a sealed, with gasket, bin. Its air tight. In 35 seasons I've never seen anything like this.and I hope I never do again.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Nope, I always check the date on soil. I'm very lucky to have a supplier, localy that get smaller shipments throughout the year. We keep our soils, castings, coco in a sealed, with gasket, bin. Its air tight. In 35 seasons I've never seen anything like this.and I hope I never do again.

I think I misunderstood you, but either way I'm glad you got it buttoned up bro! Yea they suck hard all I could think was good resin-slathered nugs covered in shitty little bugs is a no-go

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

If the root aphids i have been dealing with come back those beetles may be the next move.

I like the idea of the beetles because they're highly mobile and reproduce well, but the mites that I ordered for the fungus gnats were rad because there is ~12k of them so you can really carpet bomb the larvae and break the life cycle.

That website is fantastic if you read through it they give specific predator species recommendations for diff infestations along with supplementary treatments to run in tandem and sell it all in one place for not terrible prices.

The idea of using a natural predator to solve the issue appeals to me too.

Top Bottom