Fimming job looks like a disaster. Critique please!

• Thread starter Toker Ace
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Is this how a fim job is supposed to look? I must have hacked away at something i shouldn't have. does cutting the fan leaves like that screw with it? It's taking a while (5 days) for it to recover.
Copy_of_12-9-10_004.jpg

Next question: I know I'm a dipshit for not knowing what I'm growing but can anyone give me some choices of breeds that this might be. The leaves are very thick and leathery. stems are purple.
Copy_of_12-9-10_002.jpg
Copy_of_12-9-10_003.jpg
Copy_of_12-9-10_001.jpg

Do I fim the side shoots as well?
Growing in dwc buckets, hydroton, veg pH6.0. GH Maxi grow 1 tsp/gal, 5mlH2O2/bucket, 2 gal to fill bucket, adjust Ph every 2 days
Thanks in advance

M

mdTHC420

thats what everything i have fimed in veg grows out to look like. i think its better to fim as they go into flower. top in veg, fim in flower

P

paulycali

Your good man! Right now the lower branches should shoot up and then the fimmed area will recover about the time the lower branches reach the fimmed area. Good luck

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Ya I was wondering the same thing. Thats what all mine look like. Good know thats normal.hey md 420 whaen do you Fim right when you flip? wait a week than Fim,a week before. I can see the potential of Fimming at the right time in bloom. What happens a big cluster of spears prolly. anyways thanks.

M

mdTHC420

i really dont mess with fiming much. ive done the few in veg like above buy when a foot or 2. i would imagine that some point in the first week before you have little budletts forming would be a good time.

ill mess around with it on a plant or 2 in the next couple rounds

B

bastard_x

i know nothing about fim but i would say youve got an indica strain possibly a kush if it continues to grow squat with thick branches . Dark purple stems usually means more of the plant will turn purple towards the end of the season especially in colder climates. Hope it turns out to be a good female if it came from bagseed . When it gets older you can rub the main branch near the top and try to smell for different odors like; eucalyptis, sandalwood, grape, citrus, sweet, skunky and so on to help you deciphyr what you are growing . But remember your results can only be as good as the seeds you started with. You might want to clone a sample of it to keep in veg that way if it turns out to be a good pheno then you will have preserved it for future grows. Some people think that o.g. came from a seed that was found in a bag of herb purchased by someone at a greatfull dead concert. So it could be a worthless male or it could be a diamond in the rough, you wont realy know until you test the final product.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Your fim job is correct. But your feeding system is not correct. You should not have purple stems this early in veg. It is telling you that you have lockout of some sort. Those plants do not look healthy.
I am not here to knock you down, just give you proper heads up. I would flush right away and lower your nutes untill you see better growth starting.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Thank you Smokey. I will flush them right now and see how they do on half strength nutes. I can take that kind of knock anytime.Thanks again.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

A good tip on Fimming is do it when they are just out of the cloner or when they are babies. YOu want to have a few sets of leaves below where you FIM at so you have new growth to come from somewhere.
Another thing is you need to wait when you FIM for the new growth to come out. The whole point of Fimming is to make the plant sort of stop vertical growth but put more out to the sides of the plant. If you FIM and then put the plants in flower a week later, you just cut your harvest down big time. The plant needs to grow more after you FIM, I usually wait about 2-3 weeks after I FIM before I put them in flower, This lets the branches grow more and let's you yeild more at the same time.
Some plants you do NOT want to FIM, for example a heavy Indica Dom strain that does not stretch that well on its own after put into flower will not do well if it is Fimmed. But if you have one that does put a nice stretch, then this will help out.
Just make sure after you FIM you wait for the new growth that comes out to start taking off.
If you FIM a plant when it just comes out of the cloner it will be a stockier plant than if you were to wait longer to do it.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Thank you smokey +rep. This plant was not that great of a candidate for fimming was it?
You hit the nail on the health issue. pH was 7.2. Quick water change and we are looking much better almost instantly. I love hydro. I've got half strength nutes and 6.0 pH now.
You have helped me. Thanks again

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Remember less is more when growing. Some of the nute company's want you to run the nutes high so you use more. This is ok if you know what to look for, I always recomend people to use 3/4 strength of nutes of what they recomend. then look for burnt tips. If none are seen, add a little more nutes. That is how I do it at least.
You plants seem like they will bounce back quickly. If they seem happy at what you just gave them, I would keep giving them that amount of nutes for a little while longer than bump it up slowly after that.
Glad I could help you out.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

New pics of fim
12-18-10_3.jpg
12-18-10_1.jpg

The girl is looking much better with the correct pH.
I think it can't be said enough to check pH first.

M

mdTHC420

lookin better. heres a quick pic of a grape ape mostly done that was fimed (look 8-12 inches down the main cola and ull see a fked up leaf or 2 like urs from getting fimed) as it went into flower. bottom branches filled in to make it an even canopy. this was done right before the stretch in the first few weeks of flower. id like to see an almost done plant that was fimed in veg to compare to if anyone has one.

PICT0055
Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Here's a pic of my fimmed girl. She just went into the flower tent on 1-1-11, four weeks after I fimmed her.
1-4-11_006.jpg

Like Smokey and Paulycali said, the vertical growth stopped and the side shoots grew out.
I did fuck it up. I only have three sticks at the very top where there should be four.
Other than that I think I'm pretty happy with the results.

O

ookiimata

Yeah, I've always read to FIM when the plant produces its fourth set of leaves during early veg. Never heard of doing it in flower. But I'm not an expert. Just passing along what I've read (from multiple published sources [take that for what you will]).

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

I didn't fim in flower. I fimmed after the 5th node and let her recover and grow out for two weeks before I put her in the flower tent. Fimming after veg is not what I would recommend.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah great recovery bro plants look great

Latest posts

Top Bottom