Final weeks of flower... Any trick tips?

• Thread starter BudLust
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BudLust

Just need sum advice from experienced growers on thcfarmer. Im not a newb, just a new user.

I wanted to see wat methods other growers use during the last weeks of flower to better their final quality.

Things im looking for help on is;

Purpling/change colors naturally
Increase trichs and hit max THC/CBD %
C02 levels
When to cure
Water rez temps

So those being the topics id like to discuss i appreciate any help and rep to those who help.

Ive heard rumors to do things like;

-Lower night temps
-Lower c02 ppm
-Water temps @ 63*-65*
-How many hours of darkness before its best to harvest?

Anything in regards to the topics above id like to see whos got sum suggestions and what to do.

F

farmerjohn

There are literally dozens of similar threads here. I'm sure you will get some response. As a matter of fact, many various responses.

Here's my ritual: Following tric development with a 30X, once some of them are entering milk sage, I suspend feeding, flush & reset 12/12 to 11:30 on/12:30 off. Every 5 days, I decrease the light cycle by 15 minutes, whilst suspending regular waterings. Only when very necessary, will I water until harvest. Once amber trics appear, I spot check several buds on several plants. When trics hit 25% amber, I turn off the lights until I feel like going back in to the room with a big set of dykes & an adult beverage. (normally 24-36 hours) The shit gets cut & hung untrimmed, until a medium sized branch snaps easily & makes a sound like rice crispies with milk on them. Trim & toss the nugs into a big brown paper bag, loosely closed, for 3 days. Shake bag several times a day & maybe even take a peek. After 3 in the poke, most buds have given up their inner moisture. This is the point where a cure would be in order, but I do not always do that. Many kind buds are ready for consumption right then. If curing, I flip the dank into tupperware & fiddle & fuss with the contents @ least once a day, to allow fresh air into the container. This can go on for weeks, but I go by smell.

"Any hint of hay, keep those hippies @ bay! The smell of a perfumed skunk, you got some smokable funk!"

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I would say the best thing you can do is flush. If purpling is in the genes you will not need low temps or anything else. There are a few things that have helped me enhance purple color in my bubbleberry. Organics. Use Guano during flowering cycle. Purple usually comes out more during the flush but that guano helps for sure. I like Organa Guanao o-4-0. The leaves get lighter and more colors come out. Flushing also lets the plants know it's time to stop growing and ripen up.

If you lower grow room temps you will get more purple. Again this depends on the strain and how much purple is in it. Also calyx and leaf purpling are two different traits completely so a lot comes into play. Over all use Guano and Flush. :)

I have tried a long dark period and many variations of it. i still like to let mine get fully ripe under the lights. Then when they are ready I chop just before the light comes on. Trim complete other then a few lil coated bracts that wrap around the bud and act as a protective wrapper. This way you wont be knocking off trichs from buds when handling. Then hang to dry.

A final manicure is optional but curing is a must for buds to reach max potency and get even moisture throughout.

fred

F

farmerjohn

:talkingI like Dr. Feelgood's bat shit during vegging. It has lots of goodies in it besides the guano, which makes it taste like runny puppy poop smells. I got some on my fingers & stuck 'em in my mouth without thinkin' once!;( Never have used bat butt butter during flowering, but would like to know where I might obtain some of the Organa product, if Fred knows. Sounds like a good additive during flowering, since it is a simple 0-4-0. Added to Peter's Bloom Buster, it should work, don't ya think?

Just as a side note, curing is optional only if the wolves are @ the door with eviction notices or monetary considerations demand immediate relief.:mad0229: Fred is right, the buds moisture level will be more consistent & potency should be @ peak, after "the cure."

I never trim b4 hanging.:no Personal preference. One stop trimming after hang drying, eliminates a step or two in the process. Less handling, less potential damage to the buds. Place a handy, dandy catch-all underneath any trimming u do do & use those wayward trics & trimmings to make brownies! Fan leaves & boss bud leaves that remain around the nugs as they hang dry are super duper potent, baked up in treats! Not to mention that they help to slightly tighten the buds, like a very light control girdle does, for the old ladies butt!:thinking Or cure out the trimmings like tobacco & smoke them by rolling them up with a cigarette roller.:joint::rauch08::anim_30::cool0044::rasta: Good way to help someone to stop smoking real cigarettes & the effects, while not exactly the same as smoking the bud itself, will pleasantly surprise you with its potency.:winking0067::dance:character0029::boogie::icon_stick man::party0033::rastadancing::banana::ninja

B

BudLust

There are literally dozens of similar threads here. I'm sure you will get some response. As a matter of fact, many various responses.

Here's my ritual: Following tric development with a 30X, once some of them are entering milk sage, I suspend feeding, flush & reset 12/12 to 11:30 on/12:30 off. Every 5 days, I decrease the light cycle by 15 minutes, whilst suspending regular waterings. Only when very necessary, will I water until harvest. Once amber trics appear, I spot check several buds on several plants. When trics hit 25% amber, I turn off the lights until I feel like going back in to the room with a big set of dykes & an adult beverage. (normally 24-36 hours) The shit gets cut & hung untrimmed, until a medium sized branch snaps easily & makes a sound like rice crispies with milk on them. Trim & toss the nugs into a big brown paper bag, loosely closed, for 3 days. Shake bag several times a day & maybe even take a peek. After 3 in the poke, most buds have given up their inner moisture. This is the point where a cure would be in order, but I do not always do that. Many kind buds are ready for consumption right then. If curing, I flip the dank into tupperware & fiddle & fuss with the contents @ least once a day, to allow fresh air into the container. This can go on for weeks, but I go by smell.

"Any hint of hay, keep those hippies @ bay! The smell of a perfumed skunk, you got some smokable funk!"

thanks for the detailed response and step by step. im running a scrog so when i harvest i have to cut branches off and i usually just trim them then and put them in my drying rack closet on screens. i flip everyday then jarred in glass only containers.
last round i did do 24-36hrs dark and no watering. so im gonna have to follow the trichs and be more patient this round.

heres a shot of the current OG Bubba kush grow. i didnt end up doin a true scrog this round i just supercropped and let them stretch. the other table in the room is a couple weeks into flower now.

@ 4 weeks

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0655.jpg

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0656.jpg

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0657.jpg

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0661.jpg

table 2 week 2 flower

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0666.jpg

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0667.jpg

B

BudLust

I would say the best thing you can do is flush. If purpling is in the genes you will not need low temps or anything else. There are a few things that have helped me enhance purple color in my bubbleberry. Organics. Use Guano during flowering cycle. Purple usually comes out more during the flush but that guano helps for sure. I like Organa Guanao o-4-0. The leaves get lighter and more colors come out. Flushing also lets the plants know it's time to stop growing and ripen up.

If you lower grow room temps you will get more purple. Again this depends on the strain and how much purple is in it. Also calyx and leaf purpling are two different traits completely so a lot comes into play. Over all use Guano and Flush. :)

I have tried a long dark period and many variations of it. i still like to let mine get fully ripe under the lights. Then when they are ready I chop just before the light comes on. Trim complete other then a few lil coated bracts that wrap around the bud and act as a protective wrapper. This way you wont be knocking off trichs from buds when handling. Then hang to dry.

A final manicure is optional but curing is a must for buds to reach max potency and get even moisture throughout.

fred

i flush every week and the last 1-2weeks of flowering using overdrive and final phase with RO this time. last round i used budcandy and wasnt impressed.

im not sure the phenotype of this Og bubba kush but i know bubbas can turn purp but i havent grown this cross flavor yet so ill see wat happens. thanks for the input. def gonna be considering all alternatives and make necessary changes

B

BudLust

:talkingI like Dr. Feelgood's bat shit during vegging. It has lots of goodies in it besides the guano, which makes it taste like runny puppy poop smells. I got some on my fingers & stuck 'em in my mouth without thinkin' once!;( Never have used bat butt butter during flowering, but would like to know where I might obtain some of the Organa product, if Fred knows. Sounds like a good additive during flowering, since it is a simple 0-4-0. Added to Peter's Bloom Buster, it should work, don't ya think?

Just as a side note, curing is optional only if the wolves are @ the door with eviction notices or monetary considerations demand immediate relief.:mad0229: Fred is right, the buds moisture level will be more consistent & potency should be @ peak, after "the cure."

I never trim b4 hanging.:no Personal preference. One stop trimming after hang drying, eliminates a step or two in the process. Less handling, less potential damage to the buds. Place a handy, dandy catch-all underneath any trimming u do do & use those wayward trics & trimmings to make brownies! Fan leaves & boss bud leaves that remain around the nugs as they hang dry are super duper potent, baked up in treats! Not to mention that they help to slightly tighten the buds, like a very light control girdle does, for the old ladies butt!:thinking Or cure out the trimmings like tobacco & smoke them by rolling them up with a cigarette roller.:joint::rauch08::anim_30::cool0044::rasta: Good way to help someone to stop smoking real cigarettes & the effects, while not exactly the same as smoking the bud itself, will pleasantly surprise you with its potency.:winking0067::dance:character0029::boogie::icon_stick man::party0033::rastadancing::banana::ninja

i prob should of mentioned that i am a member grower for local collectives so certain things that are done for pure personal use i tend to avoid for timesake. i prefer hand trimming and hang drying for better overall quality but with a scrog net in play u cant pull out whole plants and its too much volume to hang dry every branch cut off. i do like to cure and believe its important. i have seen good bud fresh from the drying racks that couldve fooled me that it wasnt cured. heres my dry rack setup that we place the buds on.

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0543.jpg

http://img.invalid.com/albums/v689/boomer1605/IMG_0569.jpg

F

farmerjohn

Love those little jars, bud! Especially the wide mouth ones!

Yeah, you got a big grow going there. And honestly, it looks very professional & well thought out. Impressive.

My way detailed above, is probably geared more to the guy or gal bringing in under an LB. @ a time. Dealing with weight, most I know, trim prior to hanging. They say it's too time consuming to do after.

Is that entire closet hung with screened shelves? Love that set-up too! How much dank bud can you put in that thing? A shitload, is my guess! lol

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Here's that guano I was talking about.

DSCN2519.JPG

Bio-bizz line and some of this guano will produce some tasty buds. The best part is not one of these products smell like poop of any kind. Bio-bizz is sweet coffee molasses smelling. The bloom and top max are kinda smell like sweet leather to me. Maybe a hint of vitamins too. The 0-4-0 guano smells good. Clean guano. The nitrogen add is way too stinky for me. :) All of these are right in line with the whole sweet kushy flavor thing.

All of this is pricey and might not be cost effective. It's worth a try for personal satisfaction though.

Oh yeah, I've had some 4-5 day fresh dried stuff that was delicious. I'm not a freak about it. If someone wants perfectly cured buds then they should invest in some Jars and get to it...lol

fred

B

BudLust

Love those little jars, bud! Especially the wide mouth ones!

Yeah, you got a big grow going there. And honestly, it looks very professional & well thought out. Impressive.

My way detailed above, is probably geared more to the guy or gal bringing in under an LB. @ a time. Dealing with weight, most I know, trim prior to hanging. They say it's too time consuming to do after.

Is that entire closet hung with screened shelves? Love that set-up too! How much dank bud can you put in that thing? A shitload, is my guess! lol

thanks bro thats my first growroom and first grow. still a newb learnin shit but tryin to do shit asap.
first round pulled 5lbs dried after losin 3 plants. i expect 6lbs every havrest. the closet setup is DIY screens to dry trimmed buds in a smaller space. the closet can prob hold 10lbs. maybe even 15. depends on the nug size.

B

BudLust

Here's that guano I was talking about.

DSCN2519.JPG

Bio-bizz line and some of this guano will produce some tasty buds. The best part is not one of these products smell like poop of any kind. Bio-bizz is sweet coffee molasses smelling. The bloom and top max are kinda smell like sweet leather to me. Maybe a hint of vitamins too. The 0-4-0 guano smells good. Clean guano. The nitrogen add is way too stinky for me. :) All of these are right in line with the whole sweet kushy flavor thing.

All of this is pricey and might not be cost effective. It's worth a try for personal satisfaction though.

Oh yeah, I've had some 4-5 day fresh dried stuff that was delicious. I'm not a freak about it. If someone wants perfectly cured buds then they should invest in some Jars and get to it...lol

fred

thanks for sharing the find man. gonna check into it, they dont carry that line at my hydro shop. so got sum R&D to do

caliogk

caliogk

Premium Member
Supporter
Clean guano? That is an awesome oxymoron (not being a dickhead, I mean... say that to yourself and see how funny that sounds)

You are using S**T. My girl will tell you anything out of my butt REEKS :mooning

$20 bucks a quart is very steep for poop, especially for the size system being used by BloodLust.

Budswel would be a much better option. With your hook up b, you will prob get it for around $20 a gallon.

It's 100% organic, has some bird guano, worm castings AND a little seaweed.

The ratio's on Budswel are only .01 -.10 -.01.

If you have a solid flushing schedule, your $ in the bank.

You have 2 tables... maybe do a comparison of the two and see what you like!

:yes

Top Bottom