Finally, An affordable ($40) PPFD meter for the home grower.

• Thread starter m4s73r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
m4s73r

m4s73r

FIRST. This is NOT for testing LED lights. This not an Apogee.

I have a couple of ChilLed x5s in my grow room. They have a dimmer on them so I like to run them a bit dimmed so its more efficient durning veg. So I got this $40 dollar meter in, set my lights to 24" hang height and got a reading in the center of my bed for 988. Well shit thats only 25 ppfd off from the par map on their website. So I ran through the other heights I would actually use. and it was only 27 off the 18" map and 32 off the 12". Again, not something to really test led lights but enough to set in at canopy height and get a close idea. Enough to know if you should raise/dim your lights or not.

Thought I would share.

SC69

SC69

Supporter

I have a couple of ChilLed x5s in my grow room. They have a dimmer on them so I like to run them a bit dimmed so its more efficient durning veg. So I got this $40 dollar meter in, set my lights to 24" hang height and got a reading in the center of my bed for 988. Well shit thats only 25 ppfd off from the par map on their website. So I ran through the other heights I would actually use. and it was only 27 off the 18" map and 32 off the 12". Again, not something to really test led lights but enough to set in at canopy height and get a close idea. Enough to know if you should raise/dim your lights or not.

Thought I would share.
Thank you!!!

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I use the migro lux meter hack. He used 3 different models (I got the unit-t) which is converted from lux to ppfd. It’s the lux reading multiplied by .017 and boom ppfd results!! After awhile you can just seeing the lux reading and kinda know where you’re at. Check out MIGRO on YouTube.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I use the migro lux meter hack. He used 3 different models (I got the unit-t) which is converted from lux to ppfd. It’s the lux reading multiplied by .017 and boom ppfd results!! After awhile you can just seeing the lux reading and kinda know where you’re at. Check out MIGRO on YouTube.
He really is informative. I’ll have to look through more. I’m losing so much sleep to YouTube though. Nobody wants to watch them with me. It’s lonely in the other room even with the bong 🤣🤣. So, I watch them when they go to bed. All of a sudden it’s 4am. Some I have to watch the mid to end again because I’m burnt and tired the first time. Hahaha. Real world problems.

edit: these people in the house are in the group hoping to reap the benefit of harvest (if we get there). There’s going to be some shocked faces when I reveal the subscription term chores. I’m not doing all this work alone next time, while they won’t watch YouTube videos and are bored talking about it. lol

SC69

SC69

Supporter
So far there hasn’t been that much work except the going up and down the stairs so many times. I have to fix that next time. Could now real quick but so busy with holiday.

One did carry the soil bags in from the car both times. I’d of done it but been hurt. I did notice they’re downstairs and not up. Haha. I’ll have to bring them up tomorrow but it’s an attempt.

m4s73r

m4s73r

I was actually looking for that when i came across this one. They were all sold out of the BT model when I was looking.

m4s73r

m4s73r

So far there hasn’t been that much work except the going up and down the stairs so many times. I have to fix that next time. Could now real quick but so busy with holiday.

One did carry the soil bags in from the car both times. I’d of done it but been hurt. I did notice they’re downstairs and not up. Haha. I’ll have to bring them up tomorrow but it’s an attempt.
In my house if you dont put any work in on the garden then your credit card does the shopping for the stuff for the grow room.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
In my house if you dont put any work in on the garden then your credit card does the shopping for the stuff for the grow room.
You got an entitled woman too huh? Lol!!! Thinks this all just grows on trees with no effort besides planting? Thanks for the idea haha

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I was actually looking for that when i came across this one. They were all sold out of the BT model when I was looking.
I picked mine up months ago I’m surprised you can’t snag one. The method Migro teaches works great it’s a game changer when you don’t have to guess with solid data to look at.

m4s73r

m4s73r

I'll admit I only looked on amazon. Once i found the one above I quit looking. Just went and looked and its still not for sale on Amazon.

PK1

PK1

Supporter

Thought I would share.
i'd appreciate if you can do something for me if you have a iphone. download photon, have a tape and a white paper on the camera and tell me how far off the lux is between Apogee and the photon.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
had mine a few now. It's consistent so it's been a big help

Narsbars

Narsbars

I would be willing to bet this is just a standard lux meter BUT, someone went to the effort to test it, pick the right sensor, and calibrate the algorithm to convert lux to par.
Part two: Just ordered one. Everything else is hard to use, inconsistent, or not set up for quantum board lighting. I will test it thoroughly and compare it to the testing done by Cocoforcannabis.com and report back. I predict we will see some of the current inexpensive lux meters add a setting for PAR by adding a chip to do the conversion without the testing needed.

m4s73r

m4s73r

i'd appreciate if you can do something for me if you have a iphone. download photon, have a tape and a white paper on the camera and tell me how far off the lux is between Apogee and the photon.
Sorry mate, Im too poor for a Iphone. Also I bought this cause I couldnt afford an apogee.

Reactions: PK1
Narsbars

Narsbars

I got the meter and the 1st one only connected once. Received a replacement from Amazon and this one works perfectly. I am setting up an old 3x3 tent with a light to recreate the testing done on Cocoforcannabis.com and will report back. Before then the first impressions are that this is a reasonably accurate meter.

Top Bottom