Finally Found A Good Slug And Snail Deterrent!

• Thread starter Drabbin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Drabbin

Moved up North Canada two years ago along the coast and the slugs and snails are intense. Tried many different things, even my favorite of burying a container with beer in it doesn't work that great, it gets some of the slugs but a few always get by. The snails it does not work at all for.

Talking with an old hippy buddy about it and he tells me he uses Birch tar mixed 2 to 1 with vaseline. Lightly brush the bottom of the stalk. It repels snails and slugs for around 2 months and does not wash off. I had a hard time finding it, seems very few people sell the stuff, and it needs to be real tar not essential oil.
Finally found some at Otzis Pouch - Rare and Traditional Birch Bark Products and ordered an ounce.

To my surprise it works, and very well! I used to find 5+ slug and snails on my plants each morning, it has been a few days now and since I put this mix on I have found 0 on any plant. My guesstimation is that this ounce would be enough to do hundreds of plants.

Just wanted to share that as it is a problem that has been driving me nuts. Snails and slugs do huge damage very quickly.

Top Bottom