Finally got my 400 watt hps/mh light. Can someone help me with questions, First grow

• Thread starter caperdude420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

caperdude420

Heres my light now all i need is my carbon filter and ill be set and ready to go, so with the pictures of my grow room set up and this light, now tell me what ya think?

also if someone could explain to me how to get seedlings started under this light or should i go with the t5? and whens a good time to start plants under this light?, now i know this may sould stupid but on the yoyos theres the part where you can tie something to it and then the other end, with a circle end, how would i hang the light with the reflector, if someone can help me here it would be great, because this is my first grow in a grow tent with all this gear, i dont want to mess it up, i wanna get it down to pat so i can keep this up for years to come.

Grow room 128
Grow room 131
R

RMCG

400MH would work fine for seedlings as long as your lights are high (several feet above), if you don't already have T5's.

Yo-Yos- Hook them with an S hook in your tent, S hook or tie them to your reflector. You probably just want to get better hangers. The 'Pro-Grip' hangers are nice. Those chinese yoyos suck.

And you will quickly realize you are never 'done' buying stuff...

C

caperdude420

ok that works perfect then, so i got a seed that germinated over night for me in a glass of water, i then put it in the jiffy cube that i soked over night in filtered water, i have it in a pitch black place, awaiting for it to break the soil, would i wait for it to break soil or would i put it under my light with the light several feet high???

S

smokestack23

Welcome aboard.
I see you found the best place in the world to buy that light (gasbikeshop or powerkingshop?). You want to get the can/fan/ducting kit from them too. Prices, shipping, and service are amazing from those guys right? I am NOT in ANY WAY affiliated with those guys...just been buying a lot of stuff from them.

So yeah...a 400 is great for seedlings. As was warned though, keep it a fair distance away for the first while. They really are just like babies. Not too much sun and no adult food yet. Once you see green jaggedy (weed leaves) leaves you CAN start feeding at like 1/8 to 1/4 strength.

You won't want to let your plants get too tall before flowering because an overhead 400 won't penetrate very deeply. There are many methods to make good use of a light like that like SCROG (typically fewer plants and more time) method or SOG (more plants less time)...

As for the yo-yos. The hole in the grey plastic end goes to your eyehook hanger. You tie the strings to the hood.
I was confused with these things too the first time I got a light from them. I couldn't figure-out how they were supposed to work. That was because they didn't come with the little plastic brake thingies. You know..the little plastic pushbutton things on the string of a pair of jogging pants waistbands? The things so you don't have to tie the drawstring to keep it tight. Maybe yours came without them too? Either way, don't forget to put them on the strings BEFORE tying to the hood lol.
So once you hang them, you loosen the wingnut and pull the hood down to where you want it. You slide the little plastic stopper up the string and push it up against the yo-yo, This is what stops it from retracting further. You then tighten the wingnut which prevents it from DEtracting.
Hope that makes sense.

Again, nice job researching and finding the best deal on lights out there.
Do as much reading as possible here and at other forums.
Your question is also very good. What I mean by that is that a lot of people just show-up and start asking stupid questions like..uhhh...how should I grow my seeds so I will get a pound per plant? Will I need special lights or soil?..or something. Questions like that often go unanswered.

PEACE!

R

robz

I veg mine under a 400 HPS to about a foot & a 1/2 tall. Works great but as stated no taller then 2 feet. My ladies go from a small trained bush to about 3 feet after they are put in the flower room under 1000 watt HPS. I generally pull 3 zips per plant after 60 days in flower & around 3-4 weeks in veg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom