Finding mold

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
IIRC, bud worms are the larvae of a kind of moth, the name of which has totally escaped me at the moment.
And, the sprays only kill the worms that are already there too....
so when you stop spraying...the moths move in and the worms appear

The only way to stop the worms is to Stop the Moths
But the only way to to stop the moths that I know of is Nets or a Greenhouseo_O

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, to stop them entirely, yes. Same thing with those sonofabitching cabbage aphids! Those things ruined SO MUCH CAULIFLOWER that I grew. Easily 30lbs, EASILY. And they say that for the barrier method to work well the cover must be buried a few inches into the ground.

Sacre bleu, me espalda, tengo dolor!

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I made a little small pond and grew a ton of little frogs that were all over my herbs and veggies. It was almost weird how many little spiders and tree frogs I had from keeping some water moving around.

I didn't weed my garden at all....I let the natural predators get a nice foothold in the high grass...along with some bogies, I am sure....but the frogs and spiders kept everything but the slugs off of my cukes, watermelons, pumpkins...

And I got some worms in my corn late in harvest. Othere than that, I didn't see any pest damage.

I am going to put saucers of water on top of my smart pots next year for the frogs to live in under my plants. They will congregate whereever there is water, it seems. If I leave a light on outside at night, they would get on the siding and eat bugs flying around the lights and poo on my walls. Kinda cute... frog poo.

K

kolah

IIRC, bud worms are the larvae of a kind of moth, the name of which has totally escaped me at the moment.

Yeah they gotz' to have a name...and there could be several similar-type species of them. Identifying them would be the key to keeping the things off our plants. I could have sworn one jumped when I was trying to capture the little prick.

Froggies like a few nice rocks to build a home in. I think I have seen 2 frogs around here in 12 years. Not long ago I saw a gecko and a fricken salamander..now thats odd.

K

kolah

I made a little small pond and grew a ton of little frogs that were all over my herbs and veggies. It was almost weird how many little spiders and tree frogs I had from keeping some water moving around.

I didn't weed my garden at all....I let the natural predators get a nice foothold in the high grass...along with some bogies, I am sure....but the frogs and spiders kept everything but the slugs off of my cukes, watermelons, pumpkins...

And I got some worms in my corn late in harvest. Othere than that, I didn't see any pest damage.

I am going to put saucers of water on top of my smart pots next year for the frogs to live in under my plants. They will congregate where ever there is water, it seems. If I leave a light on outside at night, they would get on the siding and eat bugs flying around the lights and poo on my walls. Kinda cute... frog poo.

It's nice when Nature balances herself out without our intervention. Sometimes it seems the more we try and battle the little buggers the harder they fight back.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

There is a small "wet weather" creek on my place. Its weird...its like they come out of hibernation when I kick the garden off.

I have found that putting old rockwwool in the bottom of a 5 gallon hard pot.....and then stacking another pot inside (sandwiching the RW between 2 pots)....is heaven for them......
the pots keep the RW wet for longer than I would have thought...and the frogs cruise in and out of the holes in the bottom. Discovered this one on accident, of course...lol

I see all kinds of bugs in my garden, but I rarely see damage. I see fewer on the MMJ because of the spinosad and BT. I do use these and if I have the money, I like to use sns217 for a preventative.( you got a recipe for that?) My old faithful recipe is 1 oz neem and 1oz organicide/gal water. (veg only).

I found this year....the fogger and spinosad, when used daily, can effectively stop a mild mite break out. Not killing them off, mind you....it just seemed to contain them until the temp started dropping. Then, The Great Mother Nature took care of them....lol...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We get the Pacific tree frogs all *over* the place. My favorite is when I can hear a frog creaking from inside a pipe, sounds hilarious.

Mississip, try growing cole crops during warm weather, get back to me on how well allowing all those other things is working for you. Because I'm using a 100% organic regimen, trap crops, IPM, along with encouraging huge populations of beneficial animals, and those fucking cabbage aphids are something else. I didn't have to bother addressing the harlequin bugs, their populations seem to have never exploded, but once the cabbage aphids got a foothold it was all over. Little fucks.

From now on, no more growing cole crops during summer. However, it bothers my mind because otherwise how the hell do I get organic cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts during summertime at the market if shit like cabbage aphids can't be controlled easily, or well? I bet they're just using row covers from the very start and being extremely diligent about keeping them well buried.

I cannot tell you how much time I spent researching this shit this year. Seriously.

caligirl

caligirl

:(

I have found mold before..Mostly from worm damage..

We hung these bubba kush buds with some leaves still on for a week with good ventilation
@ about 75* 40% hum.

Now, we are taking the buds off the stems,
and finding mold inside some of the fattest, and Nicest buds :(
We have found some tiny worms bailing out(on there silk) but, I don't see worm poop in these.
Is there something I could have done to prevent this?:confused:

View attachment 261276
They look fine

Until I break them open
View attachment 261275

2 out of those 4 colas had to be tossed :(

View attachment 261274

Sucks...But I know it could have been worse...

The buds were just too damn dense!

caligirl

caligirl

I can totally relate - very disapointing when you have gorgeous, weighty buds that seem perfect untill you cut them open - My worst mold issues were my qrazy train with monster dense buds - so dense i couldnt even pry them open when fresh. Chernobyl was the same. I grow as naturally as possible so no strong fungicides or pesticides. Actinovate has stopped working for me and i did try frequency water for mold and one for mites and i think they helped but not much. Casey jones is the most resistant strain ive ever grown - grown four years in a row, indoors and out and never had mold, mildew, or any bugs at all.

caligirl

caligirl

those little shits are cabbage moths. The little white moths all over the garden all spring and summer long. Im going with netting next year! I hand picked daily, off of sixty plants all summer long - what a pain and you cant get them all, they camaflouge and do sooooo much damage which of course cause mold later.

reeldrag

reeldrag

Sorry for your bad luck brother but those little mother fuckers are the bain of my existance they are my main struggle only way I have found to keep them at bay is spray your property with a good KILL EVERYTHING CHEMICAL that kills on contact. then spray your MJ with BT and spinosad if you just try to spray your plants you will fight the hell out of this you kinda need to kill them outside your garden first and then fight the remaining few inside your garden with organic methods

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
thanks Reel
I do spray both spinosad and BT
next year its Nets.....
And I guess, I just have to grow enough to share some with the critters ;)

We only lost about 10% of the Bubba Kush to mold and worms. and they hardly hurt anything else
..So I feel pretty fortunate :)

K

kolah

You can try a garlic/soap spray. Spray heavily and soak the buds, leave on for a few hours and then rinse with clear water. For big buds you can spread them apart a bit to get the spray solution deep into the buds. I only had a few worms this year and this worked well for me. Just make sure they get a good wind or fan to dry them quickly. Shaking the branches with knock off some water as well. Spray in the morning, rinse em and then let the sun and air hit them.

Once buds emerged I got into a habit of vigorusly shaking all the branches once or twice a day to reduce the possibilities of egg or worm invasions. It also strengthens the stems.

K

kolah

forgot:

There are many garlic/soap spray recipes online. Always test your solution on a small area of a plant before dousing your entire garden. And avoiding doing it in the hot sun of the day. And don't forget to rinse.

Georgekush22

Georgekush22

Botrytis strikes again...... Solidarity is right that was definitely growing on the nugs b4 u started drying if anything cutting the buds down stopped it from growing any further. Not really anything I can think of that you can do outdoors since botrytis is caused by humidity. I would just consider doing some research and finding mold resistant strains(Indicas are more prone because of the denser buds) also pull tarps over the ladies when it rains if u don't already to try to keep em dry. Hope this helps.

neverbreak

neverbreak

ouch, that's gotta suck bro. at least yer not short of bud! hope it's not too extensive.

neverbreak

Latest posts

Top Bottom