Fine tuning a watering/feed schedule for an advanced garden

• Thread starter indogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indogro

indogro

My question here is asked quite often. We all know the "rule of thumb" is letting the plant dry to just before wilt, saturate to 15-20% runoff, then let dry again.

I would like to fine tune this for larger commercial production. Everything will be automated. I am curious who has strayed from this method, and what the results were.

I am a very experienced farmer, but I want to hear what other experienced farmers have done.

My current method:

* Under each 1k Gavita, I have 4 plants each in a 15 gallon fabric pot.

* I am using Oregon's Only #4 mix, which is a coco based soil mix. I add in 25% Growstones to add a lot aeration.

* I use the entire Nectar For The Gods line, Sea Green, Caps Bennies, and SLF-100. all organic.

* I main-line top every plant. This method is fantastic. (Thank you clockworx)

* My goal is 2+ per light.

* I feed every watering, and add Caps Bennie every third watering.

* I am setting up an automated halo system.

I am trying to fine-tune my moisture levels for the best production of quality and quantity.

Question #1:
How different is the approach for watering in Veg vs. Flower? I find letting them dry out in Veg helps develop root growth. but letting them get too dry....even before they start to wilt....can cause thin stems and slow growth. I find keeping a somewhat balanced moisture speeds growth.

Question #2:
IN FLOWER -
Does anyone have insight as to whether I should water to saturation, let dry out, every 2-3 days?
*OR*
Should I water lightly 2-4 times every day, and keep the coco/soil a with a consistent level of moisture?

Root growth happens mainly in Veg, into the first 2 weeks of flower. After that, the plant is focused on flower production. Since it is not growing roots at the same speed as in Veg, does it make more sense to keep the soil consistently moist? or are there benefits to letting it dry frequently in flower as well?

I am going to experiment with both, but am looking for anyone with any insight who has played with the different techniques.

Thank you.

Last edited:
J

Jalisco Kid

Well I'm drunk enough to say a very experienced farmer would not ask this question. But I would suggest you make up some different ratios of your mix and water different amount and dial it in. I find for ME coco is better used as an inert medium and treat it as a hydro medium,while you look at it as a dirt medium. I was not one to let it dry out or go around lifting pots. I use a 70-30 mix water at the beginning 2x a day as they get bigger I go up to 6+ time a day.
One thing I do do in coir that others don't is I aerate my containers,free tip of the day

Natural

Natural

man, I don't think running all that NFTG's nutes through a halo is gonna work out..you'd pretty much need to run open hose/pvc lines to the top of the soil.

Myco

Myco

Yeah you might be pulling your hair out as you find sediment plugging your drip lines/halos.

But to answer your main question, yes many people have used Blumats for example, which keep everything consistently moist, and have excellent results. The whole theory about letting the rootzone dry out just before wilt is bogus... especially when we're talking true organics... microbes aren't going to thrive in bone dry conditions. There is indeed a balance, but consistent moisture all throughout is great.

I am an organic soil/ROLS grower, and I do allow a bit more drying during veg while im establishing rootzones to let them "search" a bit, but nowhere near just before wilt...

But your automated system is going to have to be designed specifically for using sediment building nutes. Larger lines, filters/cleanouts, high maintenance by flushing the lines frequently. And probably won't wanna use halos.

Hope that helps, good luck.

indogro

indogro

thanks for the input fellas.

jalisco, you're snarky-ness aside, you are correct, i have used and treated it as a soil. I should have been more specific, as I have never treated it like a hydro medium with smaller consistent waterings. I am constantly trying new things. Thanks for the input.

shadyslater

shadyslater

Im only a new guy but i find that in coco the plants will droop very slightly (mediums still quiet damp) 2-3 days after water\feeding so thats when i get mixin new nutes ready for a drench. I could wet them more often i think but im still tryin to get what iv learnt about growing in soil seperate from coco.
Cheers

alpinehi

alpinehi

Myco and Jalisco Kid are on point here for sure.

You should be watering at least once a day in coco. I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with the demand. My plants thrive in coco like I have not seen in other mediums that I have used. I use Canna nutrients. Most of the feedings are regulated through a drip system. I hand feed the ACTs and other beneficials as to not plug-up the drip system. The nice thing about coco is that it's hard to overwater, provided there is some level of drainage.

Also there has been research done on the frequency of feedings and its efficacy on plant growth rates. Regular frequent feedings, I don't remember if it was a constant drip or intermittent , produced the best results. See GW Pharmaceuticals published research in the book The Medicinal Uses of Cannabis and Cannabinoids. It's a bit dry and academic but tremendously valuable.
Myco and Jalisco Kid are on point here for sure

Latest posts

Top Bottom