Fire Prevention/causes

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

two questions: what do growers recommend for celling mounted extinguishers? And secondly has anyone had a mh bulb shatter and cause a fire. The mh package always has a warning against uncovered use. I like to run hoods without glass. But the room is connected to my house so the last thing I want is a fire. Any other safety recommendations would be appreciated.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
two questions: what do growers recommend for celling mounted extinguishers? And secondly has anyone had a mh bulb shatter and cause a fire. The mh package always has a warning against uncovered use. I like to run hoods without glass. But the room is connected to my house so the last thing I want is a fire. Any other safety recommendations would be appreciated.
These are cool

I have never seen a bulb blow up and cause a fire but im sure it can happen. The ballast especially old magnetic ones and the wall socket getting really hot are a couple of other worry spots too. I have never seen a ballast start a fire before but i have felt some sockets and power cords get way too warm for my liking.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Maybe if you get the co2 ones instead of the powder you will save your plants from getting covered in powder and save yourself some cleanup. I caught a car on fire once removing an intake manifold (tried to loosen it by spraying carb cleaner all around) and was lucky the extinguisher was right behind me. The boss said I was lucky because when that happened to him he grabbed the powder one and had a hell of a cleanup job afterwards.

R

richdash

I have used the ceasefire extinguishers above all electronics. Gives a good feeling.... Don't break the glass tube! It's messy...

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
The new cmh, especially the cheap foriegn ones have been exploding and are much more violent of an explosion than other bulbs. Thats why I went with cxb3590s

StandingRock

StandingRock

I think the major cause of fires is overloaded circuits and wires. You really need to know your stuff on that. Most homes have 15 amp breakers and wiring appropriately matched. Most homes have 120v systems. Watts Volts and Amps are all related and important. Know the amp draw of every device you use and know the breaker amperage. It says on the breaker how many it can hold. Never tape a breaker to keep it from popping. Overloading circuits leads to overheating and fires. The number one most important thing is get the right size extension cord. If your device pulls 1000 watts get the shortest cord you can that can handle the watts. The longer the cord the more rated watts it will need. A 10 foot cord pulling 1000 watts needs to be rated for at least 1400 watts. A 25 foot cord pulling a 1000 watts needs to be rated for 1800.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I'm drawing a blank on those overheads. Everyone out of stock. Talked to Cease Fire in Canada. Wants $1200 for a 10x12 room, that sound right?

Top Bottom