Fire safety, what's your tips?

• Thread starter Jonyyyy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

So it's worth having a few professionals test, work on, and upgrade things.
If you're in a commercial environment this is excellent but for many of us home growers just bringing in an occasional second or even a third set of eyes to inspect your environment can be beneficial. Maybe do it when you're not in peak flower to prevent distractions lol.

A couple things everyone can do to reduce fire risk:
1. Reduce clutter/trash in their grow space
2. Be sure to include others in your household and make sure they are familiar with your fire safety plan including the location and use of your fire suppression system and evacuation plans.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
My computer uses probably twice the electricity of my grow room. I invest in recent surge protectors annnnnd that’s about it.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Lots of good ideas here!

I would add calculating the load or using an inline meter. Right now, I know that I'm using about 360 watts. The lights are using 270 and everything else is using about 90. That's easily within the load capability of the 20 amp circuit I'm using.

A voltage and remote heat detector can be very helpful. It's better to use a non-contact method when checking electrical components for heat. It's also useful for taking leaf temperatures for calculating VPD.

As much as possible, I keep my electrical connections outside of my tent. That way, they're easier to check or change. They're also not exposed to the humidity in the tent.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
If you're in a commercial environment this is excellent but for many of us home growers just bringing in an occasional second or even a third set of eyes to inspect your environment can be beneficial. Maybe do it when you're not in peak flower to prevent distractions lol.

A couple things everyone can do to reduce fire risk:
1. Reduce clutter/trash in their grow space
2. Be sure to include others in your household and make sure they are familiar with your fire safety plan including the location and use of your fire suppression system and evacuation plans.
When I say professionals, I don't mean that level.....I mean your basic neighborhood people professional that you would normally use for your house.

Jonyyyy420

Jonyyyy420

Additionally, as much you can absorb of National Electrical Code. Honestly, it amazes me how little working knowledge of electricity homeowners have. I was in that boat, too, before acquiring a century home.
This book has been an invaluable crash course for me: Wiring Simplified
It's based on 2014 NEC, but most of the important principles haven't changed well... ever.

And some invaluable tools:
GFCI Indicator and Contactless Voltage Tester
A Simple Multimete

Never even thought of educating myself on my country's electrical regulations. seems so obvious. Gonna purchase a code book and probably the 2 tools as well. thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom