First 24 HELP: Humidity in Jar only at 45% humidity

• Thread starter JWallert
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWallert

JWallert

Hello, hive mind. This is my first grow. I dried for 5 days at 55% humidity and small branches snapped and then jarred the buds up. It's been 12 hours and the humidity in the jars is reading only 45%. Is there something wrong, or will it naturally rise? Any advice or help appreciated.

BigCube

BigCube

Hello, hive mind. This is my first grow. I dried for 5 days at 55% humidity and small branches snapped and then jarred the buds up. It's been 12 hours and the humidity in the jars is reading only 45%. Is there something wrong, or will it naturally rise? Any advice or help appreciated.

It should rise, are you sure its correct? Have you pulled a bud out and tried breaking it open? Is it really dry? Or just on the outside?

Best to not rely on potentially faulty instruments if you can easily check yourself.

If it's bone dry through and through, it's not going to come up ever. If it's still fresh and not brittle in the middle, then your rh meter is off and who knows what the rh is in there.

Just check a bud, and continue to check every couple days. You'll know it when it's there.

JWallert

JWallert

It should rise, are you sure its correct? Have you pulled a bud out and tried breaking it open? Is it really dry? Or just on the outside?

Best to not rely on potentially faulty instruments if you can easily check yourself.

If it's bone dry through and through, it's not going to come up ever. If it's still fresh and not brittle in the middle, then your rh meter is off and who knows what the rh is in there.

Just check a bud, and continue to check every couple days. You'll know it when it's there.
Just did as you said and tried breaking a bud open. It's not really dry. It's also not super sticky. Mostly dry on outside I think. The hygrometers are correct. I have 6 of them and a more precise bigger one that I used throughout the drying process and they all read the same. The rh here is 35%. The jars are measuring 45-47% after 12 hours curing. I harvested right when the small branch snapped and outside of buds felt dry, but squishy inside. As we were trimming, the buds felt sticky.

JWallert

JWallert

I’d rather jar a bud that’s too damp than one that’s too dry. You can always burp the excess moisture out over the course of a few days.
Well, too late for that now. Do you think I should add the Boveda 62% packets now, or just wait and see if moisture comes up? I was going to wait until week 2 to add the packets to avoid altering the taste as some people have said happens with those.

Anthem

Anthem

You can use boveda packs to help with it. I have done that in the past, but from what you have said. 5 days at 55 percent there should not be a problem. What are you using for jars?

JWallert

JWallert

You can use boveda packs to help with it. I have done that in the past, but from what you have said. 5 days at 55 percent there should not be a problem. What are you using for jars?
Ball mason jars. I just expected the humidity to rise in the jars and so far nothing after 12 hours in there. You think I should stick the packets in there and risk bad flavor or wait another 12 hours and see what happens?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Whatever you do just make sure to give it time. It takes longer to rehydrate than it did to dehydrate them ;-)

greenscholar

greenscholar

In my experience the boveda packs do NOT change the taste or flavor of the buds.
I've tried them, they make my buds Nasty smelling and taste funky I will never use them again, the ones without packs smell and tasted great.

If I think they are to dry I will open the jars on a rainy day on my porch, or I would recommend a damp cotton ball in the jar put something in there so the buds don't touch like a small piece of wax paper on top to separate them

JWallert

JWallert

I've tried them, they make my buds Nasty smelling and taste funky I will never use them again, the ones without packs smell and tasted great.

If I think they are to dry I will open the jars on a rainy day on my porch, or I would recommend a damp cotton ball in the jar put something in there so the buds don't touch like a small piece of wax paper on top to separate them
K. I'm going to put a small square of damp gauze at top of jar and tape so it doesn't fall down or touch buds. See how it goes. Thanks for this.

Anthem

Anthem

If your buds turned out nasty smelling after using these, specifically the 62 percent ones than you had another issue besides the packs. Been using them for years and I have never had a single issue with them.

JWallert

JWallert

Okay, So the small square of gauze taped up to lid of jar is working! It's now at 53%. Thank you!

Top Bottom