First Aid,what do you do?

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

Something came up this weekend which makes me bring this up. Major acid spill on someone, what do you do and what don't you have? My lungs took a good hit from helping someone who was just warned that was the most dangerous shit I had. People gotta know what you are playing with, and what to do in case some moronic thing happens. Build a first aid kit for you and your plants. sometimes you do not have time to get what you need, no matter what Jagger said....
JK

squiggly

squiggly

For chemical spills, you should have on hand:

1. Safety goggles.

2. Latex/Nitrile gloves.

3. Sand.

4. Vermiculite.

5. Spill broom or spill pillows.

When working with strong acids/bases:

1. Wear full length pants.

2. Wear long sleeves.

3. WEAR YOUR MOTHERFUCKING SAFETY GLASSES. FUCKING WEAR THEM YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER (emphasis necessary)!!!!!!!

4. Have a plan for what to do in a spill. The cure, if you spill on yourself, is water. What water are you going to get to? How will you apply it? Do you know how long to wash for.

A. If it will take you more than 30 seconds to get in a shower from where you will be working with the acid--you need to have a large bucket of water in the room with you. 30 seconds is pushing it. You will be burned by this time. Chemicals work on the nano-millesecond scale, reaction time is everything during a chemical accident of any type.

B. DO NOT go with your gut reaction and throw a base on an acid (even weak ones) to "neutralize" it. This sounds great--but the neutralization reaction isn't as soothing as you might expect when it's happening on your skin.

C. You should rinse for 15-20 minutes. If you feel a burn during the first 10 minutes, have someone call ahead to the hospital for you and explain what has happened--after the 15 minutes are up, get your ass to the hospital.

D. Do not work with strong acids or bases alone unless you absolutely cannot avoid it. If you, for instance, lose the use of your hands by burning them--you will be up shits creek. What would you do if you burned both of your eyes--you'd go blind, that's what (WEAR THE FUCKING GLASSES!).

5. Water doesn't cure all things--if you are working with something more exotic, read the MSDS on the substance so that you KNOW BEFOREHAND how to respond to a spill. This should be common operating procedure for all spills.

6. Do not handle bottles of acid or base while sitting. Stand over them and use both hands ALWAYS. You should have a waist-to-ribcage level surface on which to work when dealing with strong acids and bases. This allows a chance for you to doge if there should be a spill. When sitting 90% of the time you are doomed to have the substance run all over your lap--this has killed more than one chemist. I have citations if you don't believe me.

7. ABOVE ALL ELSE: Take this shit seriously. Literally the only reason they pay chemists the big bucks is because they have been rigorously trained and tested on how not to kill themselves. This makes us employable for insurance reasons by and large. It has almost nothing to do with intelligence. Do your homework and HAVE A PLAN. Having a plan can go 85% of the way to seeing that you never need it, because it's knowing what to expect that allows you to avoid it in the first place. Imagine if you were driving on the highway and there was a wall in front of you and you couldn't see it. There is no difference here--and the stakes are the same, your life and health (and the life and health of others).

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

mmmm... nothing like getting acid splashed on ya and watching it eat away your shirt...

always have a bag of baking soda around... dont know what kind of acids you're working with.... so i dont know but that has always worked for me with what i've used....

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
stand over???o_O....sry bro but i never stand over acid...vapors will fuck you just as fast..
i found out the hard way standing over something and opening it..chem burns in my nose that bleed for two days...
hold that shit away from your face

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Hell I wear gloves and a mask when dispensing guanos.

outwest

And I thought I was being paranoid :) Guano is great,but there still shit ! Glad I'm not the only one with a mask and gloves and poo.

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

And poop is the great transmitter of diseases, it is everywhere... wash- wash-wash your f'ing hands. and use psg's dont be a bad-ass. Your health will thank you later.

PnL

squiggly

squiggly

mmmm... nothing like getting acid splashed on ya and watching it eat away your shirt...

always have a bag of baking soda around... dont know what kind of acids you're working with.... so i dont know but that has always worked for me with what i've used....

It can work--but this is a big no no. We don't perform reactions on our bodies. That's bad chemical hygiene, hardcore bad. This can also severely fuck you (but so can water). Just depends on the substance. MSDS is your friend.

squiggly

squiggly

stand over???o_O....sry bro but i never stand over acid...vapors will fuck you just as fast..
i found out the hard way standing over something and opening it..chem burns in my nose that bleed for two days...
hold that shit away from your face

I didn't say hold your face over and breathe in. If you have acid fumes going on, you need a fume hood--or all of these safety measures are null and void because you are retarded and want to hurt yourself.

What I mean is to be in a standing position near the receptacle so that you have greater control over it--and increased ability to get the fuck out of the way if you dump the shit.

J

Jalisco Kid

I hope people take this serious. I figure you are the patron, what goes on in that room is all on you. You build a weak room you pay for it, but the shit gets passed down. I believe those who use poisons and other bad habits pay far worse in Life then those they fuck over being stupid and lazy. I guess this is one of my pet peeves. I can not tolerate Stupid. Suerte JK

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I put on all my PPG before I even open the first container, if I'm using something that caustic. Oxidate just happens to be something I use that is indeed that caustic. Hope you're better now.

Top Bottom