First cloning attempt with small clones

• Thread starter Kristoffer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kristoffer

Kristoffer

Hey all,

I've read some new and very old threads here and thank you all for the info, it has been very helpful. I am making my first attempt at cloning (with small clones) and it appears to be going well.

I bought a seedling tray/dome apparently, thanks flu and online ordering, and so I took small cuttings. However I am on day 6 and they are looking good. I cut at an angle, scraped the stems, and used both gel and rooting powder.

No sign of roots yet but they appear to be putting on growth which I assume is a good thing!

One question I have and probably others is do I need to remove the mesh from the peat pellet? I have read some people say no need and others say the mesh interferes with root growth.

Photo is day of cutting and day 5 beside it.

Thanks very much!

First cloning attempt with small clones
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
your first time than just leave it, i take them off but it’s so easy to break roots, so just leave it..
now i get a solo cup filled so far than big a bigger hole like an inch and half - two inches, than i rip open a peat pellet that’s ready, squeeze out water first, than fill hole with peat, when clone is ready after gel or powder stick into peat in cup, fill up some more, there you go,
you may have to make up a dome to fit them or keep your tent with the humidity at 80 ish and mist them here and there the first week..

AdelDb

AdelDb

I've read some users complaining about the netting impeding root growth so I peel it off before I plant them. Give the mesh a small snip at the opening with some scissors and then it tears very easily and you should be able to get it off while keeping the peat-plug intact.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've read some users complaining about the netting impeding root growth so I peel it off before I plant them. Give the mesh a small snip at the opening with some scissors and then it tears very easily and you should be able to get it off while keeping the peat-plug intact.
Roots will smash through concrete if they have to... no need to worry about wimpy mesh it won't slow them for a second.

KoolBreeze4201

KoolBreeze4201

Roots will smash through concrete if they have to... no need to worry about wimpy mesh it won't slow them for a second.
Yeah, thats true the roots break through the plug mesh with ease. My problem comes after rooting and I Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong my clones all die by day 7 once transplanted out of the mini greenhouse. So when they root I remove the dome for the day cover them at night when the roots are really strong I transplant them some die within 24 hours the rest die by day 7 even though I still spray them twice a day to try and get them to start using their roots. When is it safe to transplant them from the greenhouse? Or what could I be doing wrong?

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

I don’t use a dome from start to finish when I clone. I think your problem is RH shock. You need to harden them to the environment. I’d suggest doing the transplant in your propagator then over 3-4 days gradually get them used to lower rh

KoolBreeze4201

KoolBreeze4201

I don’t use a dome from start to finish when I clone. I think your problem is RH shock. You need to harden them to the environment. I’d suggest doing the transplant in your propagator then over 3-4 days gradually get them used to lower rh
I don't know what RH shock means. You don't use a dome at all? I was told that I must use the dome and spray them 3 times a day. So from start to finish this is what I do I water my plant then the next day I take cuttings then I place them in Rockwool with rooting powder then on day 4 I open the vents completely then they root on day 7 and 8 then I remove the dome for the day and replace the dome at night but once I transplant them. So the one I put in a hydroponics bin will die from the centre out, the ones I put in soil dry up and they all seem to die within 7 to 8 days.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Don't spray the plants, spray the dome. 80% humidity is Important to prevent water stress and nice warm temp 80f I find perfect.

Once you see roots take the dome off.

mancorn

mancorn

I don't know what RH shock means. You don't use a dome at all? I was told that I must use the dome and spray them 3 times a day. So from start to finish this is what I do I water my plant then the next day I take cuttings then I place them in Rockwool with rooting powder then on day 4 I open the vents completely then they root on day 7 and 8 then I remove the dome for the day and replace the dome at night but once I transplant them. So the one I put in a hydroponics bin will die from the centre out, the ones I put in soil dry up and they all seem to die within 7 to 8 days.
If you see actually roots coming out the bottom, and you put them into moist dirt (say in a 1 gallon pot) you shouldn’t be spraying the plant, but watering the roots. You need to keep your cube moist for at least a few days while at the same time watering to the outside of the pot to encourage root growth. But for the first week you only have a tiny root ball and need to keep it moist or your plant will dry up and die. Don’t follow the typical advice about how to water seedlings as these plants have more root than plant, whereas your clones have much more plant then roots. And if you’re going outside you need to keep the newly planted starts in the shade for a couple days. (Not sure what’s happening with your hydro setup.)

Top Bottom