First crack at ISO, feedback?

• Thread starter ogplatinum
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ogplatinum

ogplatinum

So just tried to make some ISO hash oil with some pretty nice trim and some popcorn nugs, from my last run and from my family members outdoor run. All kinda sugary. This will be my first run ever making any kind of concentrate. Came out kinda greenish, its sittin in some pyrex right now evaporatin off.
Used 99% alcohol, safeway didn't have 91% which is what all the other guides said to use, didnt say it was ABSOLUTELY necessary to use a lower percent, so i hope i did fine.

Lemme know how i did, think it'll be bomb? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

First crack at iso feedback
First crack at iso feedback 2
First crack at iso feedback 3
First crack at iso feedback 4
First crack at iso feedback 5
Graywolf

Graywolf

99% works better than 91%.

You didn't detail your process, but you will pick up less chlorophyll green if you freeze the material and alcohol.

The proof is in the testing! How is it?

S

So_CaL_Sativa

Looks awesome for a first try! Houston we are ready for liftoff! Mine always looks green until its dry, then a fine amber yellow. Yours looks perfect!

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Thanks bros! I yielded a SHIT ton of liquid, so the prex dish was pretty full, almost half inch. About 65% of the way done, still needs lots of evaporation, then ill scrap it and let it dry out another day! Pics soon!

T

tricomb

Keep us.updated...I still have 2lbs of.OG popcorn bud from my.greenhouse...tried the butane method but didn't yield that great....I want to try this method,seems a lot easier and faster to do a large run

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Keep us.updated...I still have 2lbs of.OG popcorn bud from my.greenhouse...tried the butane method but didn't yield that great....I want to try this method,seems a lot easier and faster to do a large run

Yeah bro, I only used about a oz of shake and popcorn, and equal parts alcohol to cover the plant matter then shook for 10 mins on each arm. SHIT IS STILL dryin! My house is pretty high rH and it was a thick run! We'll see boys!

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

You can use a fan to help aid the evaporation process or I what I do is place it on top of my cable box which also helps speed up the process

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Final product, looks straight BLACK. Little amber glossy golden color when strung apart in the light. Very goopy right now, figure it'll harden after sitting out for a day. Stoked on it, melted a lil on the scalpel and it smells amazing.

IMG 3136
IMG 3140
IMG 3141
ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Update, this shit...FADES.

Very stoney locked in, stuck stone. Lovin it!

grower2

grower2

Yeah bro, I only used about a oz of shake and popcorn, and equal parts alcohol to cover the plant matter then shook for 10 mins on each arm. SHIT IS STILL dryin! My house is pretty high rH and it was a thick run! We'll see boys!

Nice first run!

I do not believe you need to shake it for 20 minutes though, thats more like LWISO, Long Wash ISO.

You only need to shake it for 20-30 seconds.

Looks killer though!

How about telling us how you did it by steps ???

Please correct me if I'm way off OGP and hope you don't mind me trying to answer the ?.

1. He took an ounce of shake/popcorn bud and put that in a mason jar.

2. Then poured 99% ISO alcohol in the same jar to cover the plant material then screwed on the lid.

3. He said he shook it for twenty mintues. 10 minutes each arm.

4. Then removed the lid, put a coffee filter over the top of the jar, secured with a tight rubber band.

5. Then poured the contents through the filter into a glass pyrex dish and let sit until all the ISO evaporates.

Mix. Shake. Strain. Dry.

Whoila! That easy.

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Nice first run!

I do not believe you need to shake it for 20 minutes though, thats more like LWISO, Long Wash ISO.

You only need to shake it for 20-30 seconds.

Looks killer though!

Lol, good point grower. :bong2: Never thought about the "quick" aspect being something to actually take into account. Too baked, haha.

Thanks for lookin homie!

grower2

grower2

Tip

Try it out with fresh, undried then frozen plant material for a higher quality product.

When the plant is frozen and you utilize a quick wash the ISO attacks the trichomes leaving the plant pretty much unscathed. So there is less contaminant in your finished product.

T

tricomb

I would imagine 30-60 seconds would have ur oil lookin nice and golden....I also thought the return would be a lot better...I did 36 grams with butane and got 4.5 grams,I'm gunna run 36 grams this weekend with the iso and see where I am at...

squiggly

squiggly

I would imagine 30-60 seconds would have ur oil lookin nice and golden....I also thought the return would be a lot better...I did 36 grams with butane and got 4.5 grams,I'm gunna run 36 grams this weekend with the iso and see where I am at...

That yield is low but not outside acceptable bounds depending on source material--this could be about tube design/operation as well.

There is much ado about durations here for both QW and tube extractions. The truth is that there is no specific time that is the right time. Due to the complex structures at play here there are many paths that can be taken for the molecules. Some of these are longer and others shorter. This is ESPECIALLY true for tube type extractions which is why getting it wrong is sometimes worse than not doing it at all.

With liquid contact on the solvent you're getting almost everything out.

In my opinion if source material amount isn't a huge issue (ie you have qp to burn) the best way to QW would be by doing maybe a 3-5 second VIGOROUS wash. Use something to add your solvent with a wide opening that pours quickly and pre determine the amount of solvent you will use.

Perhaps use some mechanism whereby the bulk material can be removed very rapidly after washing rather than letting it sit and equilibrate further, even for a second or two, as it filters. Something like a removable basket to yank the bulk out. Depending on your filter setup this might not be necessary. The idea here is to get something nearest to pure as you can, so think sacrifice to yield for this step (use chilled solvent/frozen buds).

Following that do 2 further washings of the bulk/filtrand but this time shake vigorously for maybe 25-30 seconds. Combine the 2nd and 3rd washings for a more crude product (or keep them separate).

For my taste this would be a small scale extraction (to increase speed). Tiny jar, small amount of solvent, quick filtration. If you do it this way and get maybe say 10-15 first runs you can have your pick of them based on color and combine them accordingly--you can also get some data out of it if you're using the same weight of starting material and same volume of solvent. You can also choose based on color which of the subsequent washings to combine. It's a bit more clunky for sure, but this gives you a bit more control--and a better tolerance for error.

Determinant error is a huge factor in lab steps which require fast motions. So much so that many times these are automated by machine in labs. So while many people argue about what time to use and which various extraction is the best--there won't be any good data if everyone hasn't been using standardized techniques/instrumentation.

It's like having an argument without first agreeing what the scope of the argument is. I think Aristotle said that's bad or something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom